exrockstar

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

and I answered with a bible in my hand. My wife always gets a kick when I talk to them because I take up more of their time than they would have invested giving to me.

anyways, i didn't get this last incident.

It was a lady. Nice person. I made sure she understood that we all need blood covering etc etc and she agreed.

She agreed that Jesus had deity and not just human.

She kept calling Him "the son of God..."

So for a minute I was confused on what it was that JW's believe. I don't care about future (eschatology) beliefs.

I just wanted to make sure she accepted Christ as her saviour and explained the gospel.

We both left agreeing rather than trying to show something new to each other.

Can someone refresh my memory what is it that JW's believe that makes their salvation questionable?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Check this website http://www.4witness.org.

I think you are doing a good thing by witnessing to them. They are lost and truly need salvation.

<>< ><>

Nathele

I think you are doing a good thing by witnessing to them. They are lost and truly need salvation.

<>< ><>

Nathele

oooh. i began looking at your link. Next time i know that I can cover some points. However, I do remember asking her if she accepted and believed that Christ died and resurrected. She said "yes."

I dunno. She maybe was a confused JW's and not ready to go out and talk to people like me.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

That is a very odd response from a JW. Maybe there is hope for her! I sure hope so. There was another thread about JW's not too long ago....I can't remember who started it or what the title was, but it also had some links to other sites. You might check into it.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

JWs have a false gospel (Gal. 1:6-10) and a false Christ (2 Cor. 11:4). Salvation is through faith in Christ alone (Jn. 3:16; Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12), but we must trust the real Jesus, not a counterfeit Christ. JWs deny the Deity of Christ, personality of the Holy Spirit, trinity, etc. Their New World Translation twists all the verses about Christ's deity, the most famous being Jn. 1:1 the Word was a god vs God. This is polytheism/Arianism (condemned ancient heresy). They say that Jesus is a created being, Michael the Archangel, not Almighty God, uncreated Creator in the flesh. This is the biggest reason they are not true Christians, but a cult. I Cor. 15 also says the bodily resurrection of Christ is core gospel truth. The Watchtower teaches that Jesus is recreated as a spirit creature, a denial of His physical resurrection.

There is a semantical barrier when dealing with the kingdom of the cults. The JW may say they accept Jesus as the Son of God, believe in His resurrection, have faith in Him, but they mean different things than historical, biblical, orthodox Christianity.

2 Tim. 2:24-26 is a good guideline as we speak the truth in love.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

<>< ><>

Nathele

oooh. i began looking at your link. Next time i know that I can cover some points. However, I do remember asking her if she accepted and believed that Christ died and resurrected. She said "yes."

I dunno. She maybe was a confused JW's and not ready to go out and talk to people like me.

I have a Christian friend who decided to go JW because she didn't believe the trinity and because they were nice to her mom when her mom was sick and the baptist minister never even came to visit.

So, do not be surprised if you run into Christians there. Like most, they might not have actually taken the time to learn what they believe.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

exrockstar

First, good on you. Most people wouldn't take on a JW for a variety of reasons. Their knowledge of the Bible is daunting.

I have JW family who don't live nearby but come to Sydney to visit us and other family once a year (sometimes twice).

They became JWs in my late teens and I became a Christian soon after. I assumed at first we were both Christians. I soon realised there were differences and it took me some years to work out what they were.

Well almost 30 years on and much prayer and many conversations later. One of my family who was a JW has now found out who Jesus truly is and her salvation is only in what Christ did for her on the Cross.

The key is Jesus and while they will call him 'son of God' and give him deity they do not recognise that Jesus is God come in flesh and that he was the prefect substitution/sacrifice and could takw away our sins. Not only that they are like the gospel Plus crowd. Their salvation is based on works. You need to talk to them about Grace thru Faith.

A good question to ask next time: " how do you know God has forgiven all your sins and you are going to heaven?"

They have practiced answers for so many questions but I know they are not all good at spinning those off. Keep at them they will crack and answer honestly what they personally think. The seasoned door knockers are too indoctrinated but the young recruits are easier to get what they truly understand. Also I pose most of the difficult questions specifically to the younger JW unless they are a child (I wouldn't do this to a poor little kid). Make sure you get them to answer by saying to the mature JW "OH I just want to hear what your friend here thinks I've already heard what you have to say and I'd like to know hear your partner's view". This also throws a spanner in their well rehearsed routine, espeically if the second person is a novice. You are not doing it to pick on them but they are so indoctrinated they really don't think for themselves.

Also note they are taught not to dicuss wisdom & knowledge meant for those who are in the JWs. There are levels of wisdom and knowledge you have to go through to these levels through doing works (door knocking and other evangelical work) plus showing your full undertanding of the wisdom and knowledge of the level you are on. Then you have to be nominated to go up (although I was not told absoltuley clearly there was a hint you paid after you got up to certain level to go further). So what JW person knows will depend on how deep into the organistation they are and how far up.

It took much prayer and many heated discussion and over the past few years many more calmer discussions and the leading of the Lord for me to finally show through God's Word to my relative Jesus did it all for her on the Cross. Christmas before last she finally got it and realised she was totally forgiven in Jesus and has received this through prayer.

I've not studied any in depth books on the differeces between JW theology & Christianity, for some reason never managed to get the time to do it. All I know is from a brief pamphlet on the fundamental differences, and the rest from years of conversations with my relatives.

One saved. Praying for the others.

Cheers

MelC

PS I got to do most of my JW dicussion with relatives that were open and not guarded and they did not follow their well rehearsed routines on me. So I got, I think further into finding out what the JWs are all about. The doorknockers are too well groomed and ready to keep their answers to what they want you to hear. You have to find a way of not letting them run the conversation.

Edited by MelodyCat

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

JWs deny the Deity of Christ and see him as a mere created being (Arianism). This is the main reason they are not Christian.

I would not say their knowledge of the Bible is daunting. They use a sectarian translation and twist it to their own destruction. Their knowledge of Watchtower interpretations/indoctrination is one thing, but true biblical knowledge is lacking (they are wrong on many doctrines and would not be JWs if they truly understood the Bible).

Sincerity does not create truth.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I believe that the main focus when dealing with JW's should always be who Jesus is...they will equate Him with G-d, and use spiritual semantics...but what they mean is that He is a subordinate god, and not G-d Almighty...so I always find it helpful to lay out what makes G-d Almighty unique, and then go through numerous Scriptures with them to see if these things are also attributed to Jesus. The L-rd will not share His glory with another...there are no other gods.

JW's that come to your door can bring spirits with them....no kidding! They do not realise it of course, but several times I have had oppressive encounters, and actively knew I was encountering demonic activity...no big deal...quietly come against these oppressive deceptive spirits in the name of Jesus, and they back off...If you get angry in your spirit and too vocal, you are likely to scare off your captive audience. But this is very real, and not something that many people either realise or discuss.

I have often got them to read out a verse we are discussing, and tell them it is very different in my Bible, and read out to them what a correct translation says..I always remind myself that I am not trying to gain oneupmanship over them, but to present the Truth in the hope that the L-rd will open their eyes...It is also wise not to waste time jumping from Scripture to Scripture, as they have a butterfly discussion technique that flits from one subject to another and never gets anywhere.

It is handy to point out a few things to them sometimes, not that you want to condemn them, but to open their eyes that the Watchtower may not be all it claims, and hides anything unsavoury from their members, or twists the truth.

You might find this interesting, and may want to print a few points off so that as a parting shot you ask them to have a look at the list and maybe discuss it next time. http://www.jwfiles.com/occult.htm

You've had some good responses and advice here Rock...hope your witnessing to them goes well. The L-rd encourage you in it and may your encounters with them bear fruit and save souls. In Messiah. Botz

thanks everyone for your replies.