• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

The question is "Does God like mindless babber? " It is He you are worshipping. :emot-pray:

You missed my point.

I'm not good at putting my thoughts and feelings into words, especially on the spur of the moment. Nor do I have any concept of composing music.

It's great that you have this gift. Most of us don't.

I need the songs produced (and recorded) by others to express my heart. (I have found many songs that do so.)

You don't think that God can see through your dysfunction? I had always understood that God appreciates the effort.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I don't study music well enough to completely understand what nebula is saying, but it seems she is referring to the style of contemporary music rather than content. I do like contemporary music, though.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't study music well enough to completely understand what nebula is saying, but it seems she is referring to the style of contemporary music rather than content. I do like contemporary music, though.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "contemporary." I loved "contemporary" music in the 80's and early 90's. The "contemporary" grunge style that came in though - that has a depressing tone to it...minor keys.

You don't think that God can see through your dysfunction? I had always understood that God appreciates the effort.

It's not meaningful to me, though. :emot-pray: I want to express what's in my heart when I sing.

We've probably all experienced dissatisfaction with praise music at some time in our lives whether it be radio or our church or whatever. The answer to this dilemna is to make your own!

I used to go to a church where I liked the Pastor's preaching but the music was abysmal. I wondered for a long time whether it was spiritual pride that kept me from "entering in" but decided that it was the distraction of poor quality performances that irritated me.

So I just began shutting the performances out in my mind and worshiping the Lord with a spontaneous melody in my own words while they played the latest sappy song in the background music track of my mind.

In the same way, when you express the music of your heart it doesn't have to be accompanied by anything else. Let your words come out of your mouth and just worship Him no matter what else is happening around you.

Then forgive them for being such a distraction.

I appreciate what you are saying, yod - but that's not what's getting to me.

You see, I don't like listening to secular music - I just don't like it, don't like how it feels to my spirit. I like listening to Christian music - in general. But what's being produced now-days has been driving me crazy.

It's like when I recently listened to some songs from Michael W. Smith's first album, one songs goes:

The race is on

You've got to go (go, go go)

Leave behind the sin that binds and slows you down

C'mon and go (go, go, go)

You know the race is on

Now someone please tell my how many mainstream Christian songs released recently either challenge us to live holy lives or are clear references to Scripture?

Now I know that isn't a "worship" song, but I easily worship through the song. :emot-hug:

But with church services, I can handle bad quality more than I can good performancing. I can't stand worship performance. Church isn't a concert. Yet it's played like such. Worship leaders don't have to mimic the recordings, yet more often than not in my experience, they do - or try to. (Example: Why does "Shout to the Lord" always have to be "led" by a soloist? :emot-pray: I've only once heard it led by a small chorus, and it's the most beautiful version I've heard of the song!)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm not the only one who feels this way about modern Christian music.

I actually have been hunting in the last few days for some traditional churus C.D's in Christian book stores which also sell Christian music, and I found only one C.D among all the modern stuff, but it wasn't to my tase either. The choruses on that C.D are either overdone by singers with good voices who sound like they're trying to be especially holy (and sing especially slowly), or the songs are messed up some other way.

And the hymns C.D's are all kind of British Anglican Cathedral Choir-type of stuff sung by people who sound like they're singing the words because they're proud of Bristish tradition, rather than people who are full of joy and to whom the words they are singing carry a great deal of meaning.

Wish I had appreciated the good old Christian music enough in the 70's and early 80's to buy lots of L.P's which I could have converted to C.D. But I wasn't even a Christian then.

To me, the question is, "What sort of praise and worship-music would you expect to hear in heaven?" A massive variety of beautiful, heavenly music produced by the Holy Spirit, I think. But if today's modern Christian music is sung in the heavenly mansion/motel I'm given a room in, I'm gonna ask for another motel :emot-pray:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Just proves that true worship comes from the heart. Do you work at the jail or do you just have a ministry there?

I go in once a week with my wife and another brother in the Lord. I have been doing it for about ten years now and have been blessed in doing it. The Lord used it as a means to soften my judgemental heart. :whistling:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

sounds inspiring!!! I'm an Amtrak expert now....might have to think about a visit... :whistling:

You'd be welcome to visit anytime, Angel. :thumbsup: Maybe when George comes back for his tour, we could meet here. Amtrak has a station within 30 miles or so. We could go up to Elvis' Graceland for our "outing". :24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

sounds inspiring!!! I'm an Amtrak expert now....might have to think about a visit... :whistling:

You'd be welcome to visit anytime, Angel. :thumbsup: Maybe when George comes back for his tour, we could meet here. Amtrak has a station within 30 miles or so. We could go up to Elvis' Graceland for our "outing". :24:

Why, thank you...thank you veerry much! (say it like Elvis)