• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I've always considered recorded "worship" music to be somewhat redundant.

PS 33:3 Sing to him a new song;

play skillfully, and shout for joy.

PS 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right and true;

he is faithful in all he does.

PS 96:1 Sing to the LORD a new song;

sing to the LORD, all the earth.

PS 96:2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name;

proclaim his salvation day after day.

PS 98:1 Sing to the LORD a new song,

for he has done marvelous things;

his right hand and his holy arm

have worked salvation for him.

PS 144:9 I will sing a new song to you, O God;

on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,

PS 149:1 Praise the LORD.

Sing to the LORD a new song,

his praise in the assembly of the saints.

PS 149:2 Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;

let the people of Zion be glad in their King.

ISA 42:10 Sing to the LORD a new song,

his praise from the ends of the earth,

you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it,

you islands, and all who live in them.

Rev:9 And they sang a new song:

"You are worthy to take the scroll

and to open its seals,

because you were slain,

and with your blood you purchased men for God

from every tribe and language and people and nation.

3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth.

How does a new song remain a new song when it is recorded? I see merit in recorded music which is testamonial or evangelical, but worship is a personal experience, with or without music. :rolleyes:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Man I have to say I am shocked (not too strong a description) that any Believer can derive pleasure from listening to songs sung by 'The Mormon Tabernacle Choir' when we know they are a major cult, and that the spirit behind them is anti-Messiah... I just couldn't do it with that knowledge in my heart, however good the songs they sing. :rolleyes:

Perhaps even worthy of le sigh le plus grand du monde!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

minor keys major keys this is all aboe my head.

Minor keys are what's played when the bad guys enter the bar, when Bambie's mother dies, when Schindler sees the body girl in the red coat carried away with the rest, stuff like that. Minor keys give music a sad feel.

They are good for soul searching songs ("Lost the Plot" by the Newsboys), for mourning (if someone were to make a song out of Psalm 88), to express fear, etc.

Major keys are bright notes - they make you feel happy.

The complaint is how the modern style of music is heavy on minor keys - and minor keys and praise songs just don't mix right. :rolleyes:

Only if praising the Devil. I think its sad to see "christians" trying to boogie to soulish music, or being hyped up on rock music.

When God is glorified my spirit just naturally wants to praise Him, i dont need to be hyped up or lulled by soulish music.

I aree with you about the "soulish music". Some people cannot discern between the spirit of God and the soulish stuff which any non-christian can do, or carnal christians who cannot discern. The devil will not worship God - the bible says to worship God in spirit and truth, but many many don't. God is not pleased with it and his presence is not found in it. I particularly loathe some songs out that sound like the singer is "breathing heavy", I can't explain the right words to describe it, but it sounds hellish to me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

I think this all boils down to personall preference.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Man I have to say I am shocked (not too strong a description) that any Believer can derive pleasure from listening to songs sung by 'The Mormon Tabernacle Choir' when we know they are a major cult, and that the spirit behind them is anti-Messiah... I just couldn't do it with that knowledge in my heart, however good the songs they sing. :blink:

Well you stay shocked, (they have good calamine tea that calms the nerves :taped: ) and I will listen to what I consider to be beautiful music :laugh: I guess I am far enough down the road of my faith to understand the the difference between good music and implied intent. They also sing "Over the rainbow" and "The sound of Music, both of which I like to hear them sing.

But then again I listen to the Stones, Dylan, Vivaldi, and a host of others.

I guess I feel it's whats in ones heart and not ones ears when one hears sublime music that makes the difference for me.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/12/1985

i forgot to add.

"See him in me"-Bone prophet

it's an acoustic...country or how should i put this?

i'll just say it's acoustic. not sure how long the band is been around but that song by them....is good. it's up beat, not sure if it's country though. acoustic, bass and a....a.... it makes a sound like that of when yur shaking salt or pepper in the shaker.... <.< no drums though.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/12/1985

i forgot to add.

"See him in me"-Bone prophet

it's an acoustic...country or how should i put this?

i'll just say it's acoustic. not sure how long the band is been around but that song by them....is good. it's up beat, not sure if it's country though. acoustic, bass and a....a.... it makes a sound like that of when yur shaking salt or pepper in the shaker.... <.< no drums though.

It's called a shaker.

oh ok. thanks.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Man I have to say I am shocked (not too strong a description) that any Believer can derive pleasure from listening to songs sung by 'The Mormon Tabernacle Choir' when we know they are a major cult, and that the spirit behind them is anti-Messiah... I just couldn't do it with that knowledge in my heart, however good the songs they sing. :noidea:

Well you stay shocked, (they have good calamine tea that calms the nerves :) ) and I will listen to what I consider to be beautiful music :) I guess I am far enough down the road of my faith to understand the the difference between good music and implied intent. They also sing "Over the rainbow" and "The sound of Music, both of which I like to hear them sing.

But then again I listen to the Stones, Dylan, Vivaldi, and a host of others.

I guess I feel it's whats in ones heart and not ones ears when one hears sublime music that makes the difference for me.

I don't stay shocked for long mate, and I hate camomile tea (I think calamine is a lotion used for easing chicken-pox or heat-rash)....just find it a bit weird that some Believers enjoy listening to the MTC....but hey what do I know, we're all wired differently, and down the road of my faith I draw other conclusions. To me its a bit like being quite happy to eat and enjoy meat...but if I know before hand it has been sacrificed to idols then however good it looks, smells and tastes I ain't going to partake.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

We moved and started going to a different church. I didn't care nearly as much for the worship at the new one, as the old one it was phenomenal. I thought I would give it another chance and realized that it wasn't the music itself, it was the worshippers that seemed to be the difference. At the old church, people sang their hearts out and sang louder. At this one, people are much more apathetic. So, I decided to just worship anyway and found myself liking the music soooo much more last week.

I think people should pray not only for their pastors, but for their worship leaders as well. Both have to be very difficult jobs. How on earth do they choose songs, knowing people's preferences vary so greatly?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've always considered recorded "worship" music to be somewhat redundant.

There is a place for it.

People like me who are not musically inclined have more of a need for it than someone like you who composes music.

I couldn't "sing a new song" if I tried.

Unless you actually like hearing mindless babber as I try to think of words to express what I feel mixed in with a melody that sounds like a cat begging for food.