OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I really don't understand why there is so much controversy about listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. He does not talk to us verbally, but spiritually. Jesus promised to send us a Helper, and He did. The work of the Spirit is as such. He is part of the Godhead, or Trinity as we now put it. He teaches, reproofs, convicts, guides, comforts, gives power and gifts, delivers, washes, sanctifies, justifies, fellowships, and gives discernment. He bestows in us love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. He continuously changes us to be more like Christ, giving us a heart of flesh and the mind of Christ. He brings back to memory scripture at the right time. He is our protector, being the sword of the Spirit. He always speaks in truth who proceeds from the the Father. He never goes against scripture. I could continue, but you get the idea.

There are many ways of describing how He works in us. Some say that He moves them. Others say the listen to His quiet, small voice. Others say that He confirms them in the spirit. No matter how it is worded, we all listen to Him. I don't understand why there is so much quarreling over the semantics pertaining to the phrase used to His working in us.

If you would like a fuller study guide, see my blog at http://www.worthychat.com/blog/category/onelight/ . There are two entries there. The first is my basic testimony and the second is about the Holy Spirit.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Learning to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit is not an easy task. It took me quite a few years to learn how to hear His voice.

No matter how it is worded, we all listen to Him

I disagree that we all listen to him. People who are rude and mean spirited toward another person are not listening to His voice in my opinion, because they have not learned to tame the tongue. That is coming from the flesh, or self.

Matthew 12:34 is also applicable here ....O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh If one's heart is not right with God, or one has quenched the Holy Spirit, how can one hear his voice?

Blessings,

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I really don't understand why there is so much controversy about listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. He does not talk to us verbally, but spiritually. Jesus promised to send us a Helper, and He did. The work of the Spirit is as such. He is part of the Godhead, or Trinity as we now put it. He teaches, reproofs, convicts, guides, comforts, gives power and gifts, delivers, washes, sanctifies, justifies, fellowships, and gives discernment. He bestows in us love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. He continuously changes us to be more like Christ, giving us a heart of flesh and the mind of Christ. He brings back to memory scripture at the right time. He is our protector, being the sword of the Spirit. He always speaks in truth who proceeds from the the Father. He never goes against scripture. I could continue, but you get the idea.

There are many ways of describing how He works in us. Some say that He moves them. Others say the listen to His quiet, small voice. Others say that He confirms them in the spirit. No matter how it is worded, we all listen to Him. I don't understand why there is so much quarreling over the semantics pertaining to the phrase used to His working in us.

If you would like a fuller study guide, see my blog at http://www.worthychat.com/blog/category/onelight/ . There are two entries there. The first is my basic testimony and the second is about the Holy Spirit.

Yeah, I agree with most of what you say. There are examples and testimonies from people that do seem to think they heard Him by an audible voice. Once His voice came across that way to me, but I could really be sure that it wasn't his small voice just so loud that it sounded audible to me. Paul seem to hear Him something like that on the road to Damascus. Still God is spirit, so what is often called the small voice is what we are talking about isn't it?

The small voice, as those that have heard it know, comes across like thoughts in our head. Because it comes across like thoughts, I understand and have known people that get what He is telling them in impressions that don't quite come across word for word but they can tell what He is telling them.

Yet the prophets heard Him word for word, and many many Christian that I know do hear Him word for word. So how can hearing from the Lord word for word be referred to as "bizzare Doctrine of the "inner voice""? And not only that, then have threads stopped because I tell people that it is possible to hear from the Lord word for word. Indeed the Lord said Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word...has passed out of death into life", and "But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words." So it is His words that we are trying ot hear.

Now I agree that we are all supposed to listen to Him, and I believe that we are can listen to Him, but it seems clear according to the Scriptures that we do not "all listen to Him". This is very clear according to the Scriptures. Indeed, this seems to be the problem that the Lord get really upset with.

If you do not listen... then I will send the curse upon you [Mal 2:1]

For this is a rebellious people, false sons, Sons who refuse to listen to the instruction of the Lord [is 30:9]

Given these and hundreds more verses that cover the same thing, this is certainly a subject worthy of being discussed, and certainly should not be something cut, and certainly should not be referred to as "bizzare Doctrine"!! Still this is the exact subject that Jesus found Himself discussing heatedly with the Jews of His times.

There are many other things I would like to discuss on this forum, but this subject is what seems to still be causing heated discussions or at least is the subject that got cut and reffered to as "bizzare Doctrine of the "inner voice. I am not discussing something that shouldn't be discussed.

Now consider what all that can be gained by listening to the Almighty Creator, that we call our Lord. And consider that He promised to never leave us. Look at the possibilities.

He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof will dwell among the wise. [Prov 15:33]

Does not wisdom call, and understanding life up her voice? [Prov 8:1]

So the Lord gets angry when we don't turn to Him and listen to Him, even cursing our blessings if we don't take it to heart, and if we do listen to Him we get wisedom and life-giving reproof. Considering that, should listening discussions on listening to Him be cut? Should it be a subject that is even lightly passed over as if everyone is listening to Him like they should.

I hear words from Him 10 to 20 times a day, and recognize that I am very poor at listening to Him. That is not often considering that He is always with me. I sincerely believe that hearing from the Lord should be one of the top subject that I would expect to honestly be discussed on any and every Christian web site.

Now where have I gone against the Scriptures. If you feel I have, bring that up to me, and I will provided the Scripture to back it up, or I will have to accept the reproof, because it is written the the Scriptures are good for reproof. However if someone claims that "we all listen to Him" why then Mal 2:1, why then Is 30:9, why Rm 10: 1-8, why Heb 3:7,8,14, and the list goes on.

So many times when I have brought up the importance of hearing the Lord, I get someone writing "He never goes against scripture". Hearing from the Lord is what the Scriptures say we are to do. Indeed, the scriptures explain clearly that we are to listen to His "words". The Scriptures explain that not all are doing so even thought Spirit of God is everywhere. So maybe I should point out that, "He never goies against scripture". He said as recorded in the Scriptures that His sheep will hear His voice. It is written "To you, O men, I call, And my voice is to sons of men." [Prov 8:4] but are we listening to His voice like we should. Are we even spending much time doing so, or are we just doing what we want to do without ever asking Him what we should be doing and expecting to hear from His voice?

What you hear whispered in your ear, shout on the house tops. That is what we are told to do. I have shared some of what He told me. I see very little of what He has told others. Are we following the Lord. Are we really doing what is written in the Scriptures. Below is another little saying that He told me. What do you think. Does it sound like the type of things that you are hearing from Him. If not, tell me why not.

IT

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Well, CBE, He told me to come to this site and I invited others (commonly referred to as "that little group"). Strange reception we've received . . . one accusation after another, from having an "agenda" to being Satanic Infiltrators, LOL. But, I still trust God has a plan. He does work in strange ways at times. And as OneLight wrote yesterday: for me, there is a lesson in everything I come across, even if I don't like what I see.

God Bless You, Dear CBE~

Gentlewind

Well, CBE, He told me to come to this site and I invited others (commonly referred to as "that little group"). Strange reception we've received . . . one accusation after another, from having an "agenda" to being Satanic Infiltrators, LOL. But, I still trust God has a plan. He does work in strange ways at times. And as OneLight wrote yesterday: for me, there is a lesson in everything I come across, even if I don't like what I see.

God Bless You, Dear CBE~

Gentlewind

God does work in strange ways

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you, OneLight,

I'll check out your blog tomorrow. Need to get to bed, if I can drag myself away from this computer. Oh, and . . . I'm not a "brother"; I'm a "sister." :verkle: Hehehe.

See you tomorrow if I'm not banned for . . .

whatever my agenda is. :noidea:

Blessings to You~

Gentlewind

Learning to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit is not an easy task. It took me quite a few years to learn how to hear His voice.

I disagree that we all listen to him. People who are rude and mean spirited toward another person are not listening to His voice in my opinion, because they have not learned to tame the tongue. That is coming from the flesh, or self.

Blessings,

That is awesome to find out that you are hearing from Him. I meet a Pastor once that explained that we have a kind of spiritual hearing aide. He explained that each time we turn and listened to the Lord, the voice of the Lord grew louder, and that each time we decided not to turn and listen to the Lord, the voice weaker. There does some to be something to that. We do need to practice hearing from Him. Hebrews the end of Chapter five talks about that.

Also, certainly some that is mean and rude is probably not hearing from the Lord at that moment. Still we are told not to judge by what we see, but rather we need to turn to the Lord and listen to Him. We all forget to do that as much as we should. And we need to remember that as you judge, so shall you be judged. That little spiritual principle of the Lord gets me at times.

You are absolutely correct in pointing out the we do not all listen to Him. And even those of us that do listen to Him, do not listen to Him like we should. I know that applies to me.

Another little spiritual principle applies to this. If you teach, don't you teach yourself. One of the reason I like talking about listening to the Lord is that it reminds me that I need to listen.

I look forward to hearing more that you have to say Nikki. Let me know some of the little things you enjoy hearing from the Lord. I love to hear them.

God Bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I think the above works of the Holy Spirit in us are all part of what it means to be sealed with the Holy Spirit. And if someone isn't sealed with the Holy Spirit, he doesn't belong to Christ.

The good thing about it is He reproves us individually as well for the wrong we do or for the wrong things we say. Some of us don't learn so quickly, others do, but without the Holy Spirit's works you described above we cannot be disciples of Jesus, because Jesus sent the Holy Spirit in His own stead so that, in His own words, His disciples will not be left orphans.

Praise God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Matthew 12:34 is also applicable here ....O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh If one's heart is not right with God, or one has quenched the Holy Spirit, how can one hear his voice?

Blessings,

My mistake for not being more clear in my thinking and usage of the word "listen". We may not always follow His advice, but we do hear Him. Some, when they disagree with what He is telling us, tune Him out. I will agree with that. Some may not recognize His leading yet, but they do hear Him, but may think that it was not Him, but something else ... perhaps their own thoughts. Yet, God is God and when He speaks, we hear, even if we choose not to obey or pay any attention. Yes, this is just my own opinion.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/12/1958

Greetings, OneLight, in the name of our Lord Jesus!

I have had a few audible things told to me by the Holy Spirit, and I will share one with you:

"Follow your joy, and you will know heaven."

Joy, true joy, only comes from God. Let us all follow our joy. Amen?

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:29-30

The Lord's word is true.