BlindSeeker

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

How do you understand the word "Godhead?" Is it biblical the way you do, or are you adding meaning to it?

Ac 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead
<theios>
is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead
<theiotes>
; so that they are without excuse:

Col 2:9 For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead
<theiotes>
bodily.

<theios>

godlike (neuter as noun, divinity): - divine, godhead.

<theiotes>

divinity (abstractly):--godhead.

It is clear from Col 2:9 that the entire

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

That is an interesting point and concern. It has often crossed my mind what the full meaning is behind the term Godhead. You are right that most, even I, have taken the word too lightly, only using one source to explain what it means. Saying this, I will also give three examples of the definition as we can find them on the web and in other material.

The first explanation is what I had also found in my Interlinear Bible, as you stated in your first explanation.

theios

.....godlike (neuter as noun, divinity): - divine, godhead.

The second is what people find from the Lexicon on Blue Letter bible site.

Godhead

Strong's G2304 - theios

θεῖος

1) a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks

2) spoken of the only and true God, trinity

.....a) of Christ

.....b) Holy Spirit

.....c) the Father

The next I found in the Whole Word Study Dictionary.

From Theos (2316), God. Divine, what is uniquely God's and proceeds from Him. Distinguished from Theos, God, as indeed theistes (2305), divinity, is distinguished from Theotes (2320), Godhead. Theios denoted to attribute of God such as His power and not His character in its essence and totality. In Classical Greek the adjective denoted the power of God, as the noun theiotes does explicitly in Romans 1:20, a concept arrived at by observing God's mighty work.

By a 2 to 1 victory, should we use the word Godhead to mean only the power of God, and not His fullness and essence, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Omnipresence, Omniscient, Omnipotent?

I have a problem with the most common definition, as found in the most common dictionaries. The vast majority of what you will read denotes that the word Godhead does in fact mean trinity, but is this what is meant in the original Greek, or is this what we have decided it means?

By the 2 to 1 margin, Godhead can only mean Omnipotent, all powerful.

In all reality, the word Godhead is only used three times in the KJV; in Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20 and in Colossians 2:9; twice in the ASV; in Acts 17:29 and Colossians 2:9, and never in the Interlinear Bible, or the copy of the original text. In the Interlinear, the word divine is used in Acts 17:29 , divinity in Romans 1:20 and deity is used in Colossians 2:9.

The true meaning is somehow confused, or maybe even lost, in the translation of these words into the language used at the time.

I understand that this does not solve the problem of what the real meaning is, but it does shine light on why the confusion is here in the first place. When all else fails, I turn to the copy of the original and go with that meaning, yet the software I use does not give a full meaning, leaving one to continue searching. In my studies, I depend on the word study dictionary to explain deeper what the meaning may of been. So, in this case, I would have to agree that the term is used to show the Omnipotent nature of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), which bring me back to the trinity, the Omnipotent nature of the Trinity.

To me, it seems that my explanation was not incorrect, but incomplete.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

So, in this case, I would have to agree that the term is used to show the Omnipotent nature of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), which bring me back to the trinity, the Omnipotent nature of the Trinity.

I agree and have always seen it that way myself, the two meanings are one, describing the Three. Confusing, but simple at the same time ? :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The term Godhead can simply defined as the divine nature. Generically it means divinity or deity. It speaks to the essence, or being of God. The plurality of God is not in His divine essence (three Gods). It is a plurality of personhood.

So we would need to be clear about what we mean in stating that in Colossians 2:9 it is taught that the entire God-head dwelt in Jesus. The scriptures teach that God has one nature or being (Divinity), but a plurality of persons. If we are implying that all three persons of the divine nature dwelt in Jesus, that would not be correct and could lead people to believe in a more modalisitic framework. But it would be correct to say that the entire divine nature dwelt in Jesus (Just as it does in the Father and the Spirit). All three persons are fully divine and one in essence and being (but not personhood)

We are talking about 2 different aspects of God when we talk about His unity and plurality. His unity is in His being or essence (Godhead). His plurality is in personhood. All three persons of the Trinity share the single Divine essence or being.

So, you are right. The term God-head stresses the unity of nature. But it does not speak to the diversity of persons (it does not address personhood). That is done in other places.

I like how you worded your response, Eric. I agree.

May I suggest that some of the problem with the term Godhead derives also from the verses that states "that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him", both having His Spirit. To many time it is hard to rightly divide the word, and this is one of those times. When someone looks at the words of Jesus making such a claim, being true, then the application to the word Godhead can be misunderstood. God being the trinity and head meaning place of leadership. It is too bad that study guides of the original text is not commonly available and known to those who wish to understand. I stumbled across the resources I use. I have asked here and other places for better and fuller resources, but with only one or two replies, not really helping.

If there are resources to be had, please name this resource. I would love to get my hands on them.

May I suggest that some of the problem with the term Godhead derives also from the verses that states "that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him", both having His Spirit. To many time it is hard to rightly divide the word, and this is one of those times. When someone looks at the words of Jesus making such a claim, being true, then the application to the word Godhead can be misunderstood. God being the trinity and head meaning place of leadership. It is too bad that study guides of the original text is not commonly available and known to those who wish to understand. I stumbled across the resources I use. I have asked here and other places for better and fuller resources, but with only one or two replies, not really helping.

If there are resources to be had, please name this resource. I would love to get my hands on them.

A read that has really helped me in terms of the Trinity is chapter 24 in Wayne Grudem's Sytematic Theology on the Trinity. Here is a link to som on-line lectures as well

http://www.christianessentialssbc.com/messages/

For the Trinity lectures look under 2006

A read that has really helped me in terms of the Trinity is chapter 24 in Wayne Grudem's Sytematic Theology on the Trinity. Here is a link to som on-line lectures as well

http://www.christianessentialssbc.com/messages/

For the Trinity lectures look under 2006

Thanks! Bookmarked.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

By a 2 to 1 victory, should we use the word Godhead to mean only the power of God, and not His fullness and essence, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Omnipresence, Omniscient, Omnipotent?

I have a problem with the most common definition, as found in the most common dictionaries. The vast majority of what you will read denotes that the word Godhead does in fact mean trinity, but is this what is meant in the original Greek, or is this what we have decided it means?

That is exactly my concern. Not only with just this word, but all scripture in general.

It is as if we

That is exactly my concern. Not only with just this word, but all scripture in general.

It is as if we

The scriptures teach 3 things clearlly (in reference to this topic)

1. God exists eternally in 3 persons

2. Each person is fully God

3. There is one God

There are numerous scriptures that clearly support each of these propositions. Most of the theological errors in church history have come about as a result of the denial of one of these propositions.

1. Modalism teaches that God is one person who appears in different modes (sometimes as Son, sometimes as the Father, sometimes as the Spirit).

2. Arianism teaches that God the Son was created by God the Father at a specific point in time.

3. Subordinationalism teaches that the Son was eternal but not equal to the Father

4. Adoptionism teaches that Jesus was an ordinary man until His baptism when Sonship was given to Him by God

5. Tritheism denies that there is one God