For Him Alone

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I think Bob that you are contradicting yourself a little bit. I believe we all have idols...thinks we think we need ,but what we want, if we would ask God to show us the idols in our lives, we might be very suprised!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FMH, it wasn't Clive Barker who wrote "Seize the Night", it was Dean Koontz.  I was a huge fan until a little over a year ago.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

You're right, of course! Shows you how much these things matter to me lately. I prayed on it last night, and He did show me how little those things matter now. I just didn't have a "moment" when I turned from them.

I still like vampire movies, as a fantasy thing...not a matter of 'worshipping' ungodly things at all. No more than watching Peter Pan fly to Neverland was. To me it is the same.

I hope that God allows me my imagination and to appreciate the fact that vampires are Fantasy and thank Him that they aren't a real threat to Him or me!  :thumb:

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

FHA...if you will read God's word on the matter you won't have to say "I hope".....you will know how He feels about such fellowship!

Peace, Carl :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  444

I don't think there is anything wrong with reading Steven King. Its fiction, that's all.

I think idol is being too broadly defined. The way it is being defined here would mean that any time we sin, we have fallen into idolatry because we have turned to something else other than following God. In that sense, the ten commandments would become the "one commandment with 9 clarifiers"...

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  396
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

Wow, Munari. Excellent point! I do not "worship" everything that I enjoy other than God. We can like ficticious silly things without threatening our salvation or falling into sin--I seriously doubt I will begin hanging out at "vampire clubs' because I read Dracula. I think God is more concerned with my love for Jesus and my telling of His promises.

I watched "From hell" the other night--it's about Jack the Ripper. There was drug use and violence and sex outside marriage. I don't want to become an East Side prostitute now--or kill them, either. Or drink Absinthe and Laudunum. It was historical, though, and part of the story.

Ok, bad example, not fiction.

I saw Snow Dogs too--hilarious. (Sorry--just had to lighten up!)

"From hell" was based on something in history, but it was very fictitious in the was Hollywood portrayed it.  The inspector was not an opium addled psychic.

On to the idol thing: idolotry is anything that takes the place of G-d.  If all you do in your spare time is read Stephen King books and you spend no time with G-d, then Stephen King has become your god.  If you read Stephen King occasionally while spending time with G-d in study, prayer, and other forms of worship, then King is not an idol.  Although, I do know from personal experience if you spend time with G-d, chances are King, or in my case Koontz, becomes so much less that eventually you will not have any desire to read his books.  As I said before, my problem is this board.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  193
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

Why is this board your problem? I don't get it.

Is wearing a cross an idol, I am arttached to it, it gives me good feeling wearing it.

I love movies too, I am a junkie. :)  You say we should quitt watching them?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Xan,

you are right, that is how I see it, ANYTHING  what  takes you  away from God is a idol.

And I feel convicted too sometimes spending too much time on this forum.....its addicting right?

Why is this board your problem? I don't get it.

I should have said "my addiction".  There is nothing wrong with the boards except how much frevilous time I spend here. :blush: