• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

OK first of all I have been looking for a better church life and have been not very succesfull in finding a church recently, anyway I have been going to a bible study with some friends of mine, who realy seem like great people. Tonight the question was raised about baptism being the completion of our salvation. Since many times in the bible people were baptized right after yhey accepted Christ. I totally disagread and felt like an outcast but I had to speak up on this matter. I believe that salvation comes when we accept Jesus, then we must be baptized as a sighn of new life in Christ.

So I was wondering what people here think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK first of all I have been looking for a better church life and have been not very succesfull in finding a church recently, anyway I have been going to a bible study with some friends of mine, who realy seem like great people. Tonight the question was raised about baptism being the completion of our salvation. Since many times in the bible people were baptized right after yhey accepted Christ. I totally disagread and felt like an outcast but I had to speak up on this matter. I believe that salvation comes when we accept Jesus, then we must be baptized as a sighn of new life in Christ.

I hope they aren't the Boston Movement, or International Church of Christ. Sounds like it "could be" their cultic doctrine. Have you been baptised already? Did they say you had to be baptised into their particular "church" or that any water would do?

The jewish "mikvah" or "immersion" is where baptism comes from. It is an outward symbol of an inward change. Not in a legalistic way but in a prophetic declaration of identifying with the death and resurrection of our Savior.

Again, it is NOT some hocus-pocus ritual that has to be observed in a particular way with the right "magic words" and in a building with the "right" sign on the front doors before the Lord and others see your commitment to live in strong trust.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I would ask the folks how the thief on the Cross had time to get down, get Baptized, walk an old lady across the street, and attend Church prior to entering into Paradise with Jesus in a short period of time. :whistling::whistling:

peace,

Dave

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

Yes I have been baptized, and I dont think there a cult although I could be wrong. I am concerned for two friends that go there. Its a non denominational church. Yes I wish the thief on the cross would have come to my attention, if I go to another one of there bible studies I will mention that.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

:whistling:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

However....

Mat 21:23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?

Mat 21:24 And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.

Mat 21:25 The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?

Mat 21:26 But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.

Mat 21:27 And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.

Question :

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Is this a command from heaven?

Luk 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Luk 7:29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.

Luk 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

What shall one say then?

I conclude that we are saved by faith in Christ and so enter into God's grace, irrespective of Water baptism.

I also conclude that baptism is a command from Heaven (after all...Christ is God).

I come to the conclusion that Water Baptism is a righteous act, required by Christ, to declare publicly our Faith in Christ.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yes I have been baptized, and I dont think there a cult although I could be wrong. I am concerned for two friends that go there. Its a non denominational church. Yes I wish the thief on the cross would have come to my attention, if I go to another one of there bible studies I will mention that.

If it is the non-denominational Church of Christ... do not waste your effort. I have come through that gate. They believe that one is not saved unless one is baptized. However, despite being ultra-conservative in their views... they are brothers and sisters in Christ. As are many other groups who hold similar views.

Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I think you are absolutely correct. :whistling:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Salvation and sanctification are not the same. One can not be sanctified without being saved, but one can be saved without being sanctified. Obedience comes after salvation when the Holy Spirit can work in you and change your life. Yes, back then they probably were baptized right away, but ask them which came first, their faith in God or their baptism. Anyone who adds onto the saving grace of Christ demeans what Christ did for us, as if what He did was not enough.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Grace to you,

I would ask the folks how the thief on the Cross had time to get down, get Baptized, walk an old lady across the street, and attend Church prior to entering into Paradise with Jesus in a short period of time. :cool::cool:

peace,

Dave

I was about to say the same. The Bible says believe on the name of Jesus and you will be saved. That simple. No hocus pocus.. just a sincere desire and calling out.

Now, since it's similar question. I want to ask something..

Matthew 3:11

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

What fire is he talking about? I speculate, that it might be two things..

1. Fire of trials in Life or,

2. An actual fire in Heaven...

might be something else but what kind of baptism of fire is this??

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/28/1982

Hi Humbleseeker!

I have always though of Baptism as a public declaration of my faith. Its a good idea to get baptized but not necessary for salvation.

Its symbolic. We are sinners going into the water and we come out cleansed by God. Its just water. What matters is the act.

Regards

Sean