IGNORED

Evolutionists: Why is it so important to you?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Why is evolution so important?

Simply because it is true.

That isn't the quesiton, Hal.

Why is it important to you to convince everyone to be convinced of it?

Hello Nebula,

This is my first post. I agree with Hal P. I do accept that evolution is a fact, and I think that is one reason I like to promote it. Ever since I was in my teens I use to talk with my friends about human origins and God. Where we come from is a central question many of us share. I happen to believe Darwin was bang on. So why wouldn't I want everyone to know this? Those of faith are not the only ones who think the question and solution are important.

Hmmm.....We got ourselves another one :blink:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Giving up before you even try? Really, is that the way science is done?

Actually I was just wondering if you were willing to take this claim to a place where it would be actually testable. If you nail down a specific region of the brain that is active during prayer and label that as evidence of supernatural intervention would you then be required to maintain that claim if the subject were a Muslim? Mormon? Theistic Evolutionist? Another point I was trying to make is that there is no scientific way to actually "know" that this is supernatural intervention, you are simply asserting it is based on your pre-established beliefs.

And you are making assertions from your pre-established beliefs. You are convinced it is impossible to explore, and so you are unwilling to even try.

If I had the money and resources, I would be willing to try and explore and see what develops.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hello Nebula,

This is my first post. I agree with Hal P. I do accept that evolution is a fact, and I think that is one reason I like to promote it. Ever since I was in my teens I use to talk with my friends about human origins and God. Where we come from is a central question many of us share. I happen to believe Darwin was bang on. So why wouldn't I want everyone to know this? Those of faith are not the only ones who think the question and solution are important.

Thanks - but why is this particular issue important to you?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/31/1951

Thanks - but why is this particular issue important to you?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.06
  • Days Won:  78

Why is evolution so important?

Simply because it is true.

That isn't the quesiton, Hal.

Why is it important to you to convince everyone to be convinced of it?

Hello Nebula,

Hmmm.....We got ourselves another one ;)

The more the merrier, fez. :noidea:

It's their way of getting rid of God; of marginalizing Him.

Hello MorningGlory,

There are many people with a sincere belief in God who accept evolution. Evolution, then, can't be a way of marginalizing God. Don't you know of people who believe in God, accept Christ as their savior, and accept evolution? I do. There are many ministers, theologians, and scientists among them. Creationists frequently point out that many scientists believe in God, and this is true. What they leave out though, is that most also accept evolution. The two ideas are not incompatable, at least not to everyone.

First we need to define evolution....I, and many other Christians, accept the fact that God built the ability to evolve to adapt to changing environment into all of His creations. The argument is over the supposed 'amoeba to man' evolution put forth by the TOE. Species go extinct and new species arise; species change over time as well. But no species ever became another regardless of all of the bits and pieces of fossils that supposedly show dinosaurs became birds, or whatever, that are constantly touted by evolutionists. Man was created; we are not descended from apes and anyone who supports that idea is not a Christian. You can't agree with Genesis AND say man evolved from one celled organisms. Not possible. Your sincerely believing 'Christians' that spout that garbage are heretics and are denying God.

OK, so I am hearing Christians saying why they believe evolutionists need to convince of us evolution.

But I have yet to hear an evolutionist explain why they are obsessed with convincing Creationists to become evolutionists.

Ah, now I follow.

I don't know about were you live but where I am many teachers are afraid to even mention evolution. They don't want to upset parents. What's education coming to if in the science classroom, out of fear, one can't teach a central part of biology? Shouldn't biology teachers feel free to teach the science? My kids weren't even tought evolution in highschool. Good thing they at least heard about it from me.

If the question is, why should we care about teaching a concept that represent events in the distant past, then I guess my response is why should anyone care if we do teach it? As I said in the beginning, where we come from does matter to people. Creationists don't want evolution taught. They have their own reasons, but those views prevent the science from being taught, at least in some places. If you care about something, doesn't matter what it is, then you want the freedom to teach it. Biologists say evolution is central to their science but it is not being taught adequately. It wouldn't be such an issue for me, I suppose, it the teaching of evolution wasn't encountering road blocks. I feel compelled, I guess, to help correct misunderstandings that I know exist.

Where on earth do you live? Evolution is taught in all public schools in the U.S. and has been since I was in high school over 20 years ago. Are you perhaps not American? :noidea:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,878
  • Content Per Day:  8.05
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Wow, critically examining one's own beliefs in the absence of confirmation bias undermines Christianity? I think you may want to retool that thought as you seem to be saying that if we look at evidence for evolution we are undermining Christianity.

Lame attempt, Lurker. I said nothing of the kind. You tell us that if we jump the fence and take up your arguments we will somehow understand evolution? I ALREADY understand the theory and the process....as I'm sure everyone else does who posts here. I don't think you're going to get believers to argue against Creation. So why do you argue against it?

I have a tea pot that has a spout and it must spout out whatever is brewed within it :noidea:

Wow, critically examining one's own beliefs in the absence of confirmation bias undermines Christianity? I think you may want to retool that thought as you seem to be saying that if we look at evidence for evolution we are undermining Christianity.

Lame attempt, Lurker. I said nothing of the kind. You tell us that if we jump the fence and take up your arguments we will somehow understand evolution? I ALREADY understand the theory and the process....as I'm sure everyone else does who posts here. I don't think you're going to get believers to argue against Creation. So why do you argue against it?

I have a tea pot that has a spout and it must spout out whatever is brewed within it :noidea:

;)

Where on earth do you live? Evolution is taught in all public schools in the U.S. and has been since I was in high school over 20 years ago. Are you perhaps not American? :noidea:
Where am I? Canada.

However, I found a map at the following link:

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/04/0...ught-in-the-us/

It shows in which states "the teaching of evolution is unsatisfactory, useless or absent" within the US. There are about 16 states named. I may be off by one. You may want to check for yourself. The map would indicate that your presumption that evolution is taught in every state is incorrect. The greater point is that in many states, according to the map, evolution is poorly taught. I should speak to some teachers where I live. Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't thinks so.

I just asked my kids again, to be certain. Neither took evolution in science. The youngest told me he was taught the Creation story in world history class, in highschool. The teacher then explained she had to mention evolution as well, but stressed that it was up to the students to make up their own minds about which they wanted to believe. My oldest said she was also taught the Creation story in history. Someone raised the question of evolution and the teacher shut down the discussion.

This map doesn't show states that don't teach evolution theory; it grades the states on the effectiveness of the teaching. I didn't attend school in every state of the union but I did in several. We learned about the TOE in all schools I attended and, of course, in college. The teacher that stressed that the kids had to make up their own minds is an exemplary teacher. Considering the liberal climate in Canada, why is the TOE not taught in schools? ;)