• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

REPENTANCE:

First of all we are commanded to by God because of judgment and Christ being raised from the dead-

Acts 17:30-31

30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."

NKJV

Second it cannot be a work of our own for it is given by God-

Acts 11:18

When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

2 Tim 2:25-26

25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Third it is the call of repentance to Salvation-

2 Cor 7:10-11

10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

NKJV

2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

NKJV

A neccessary element in Savlation-

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission

of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. NKJV

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from

the presence of the Lord NKJV

Acts 8:20-23 20 But Peter said to him, "Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be

purchased with money! 21 You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of

God. 22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven

you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity." NKJV

It was preached by Christ:

Matt 4:17

17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Mark 1:14-15

14 Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."

NKJV

Preached by John the Baptist: (The Old covenant Law making staight the path of the New covenant Grace "Jesus Christ The Savior of the world")

Matt 3:2-3

2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!" 3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying:

"The voice of one crying in the wilderness:

'Prepare the way of the Lord;

Make His paths straight.'"

NKJV

Preached by the Apostles:

Mark 6:12

12 So they went out and preached that people should repent.

NKJV

Acts 20:20-21

20 how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, 21 testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

NKJV

We are to proclaim it:

Luke 24:46-47

46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

NKJV

Not by any other way but your Word Oh Lord! Help us to place a smile upon your face with our Obedience to your Word

for by that obedience we are saying we love You 1 John 2:5-6

5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

NKJV

... This is the work of the Holy Spirit- enabled Holiness God's work in us! Love Steven

Which came first ... your faith in the one you are repenting to, our your repentance to a God you had no faith in?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/16/1951

First of all we are commanded to by God because of judgment and Christ being raised from the dead-

30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."

NKJV

When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

Maybe this is the bridge, maybe not...

These verses of God's Word that are quoted are part of God's truth for God's truth is all of God's Word...

First, using this verse from your quote,

When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life." Acts 11:18

This God's servant believes that God did grant repentance to life for the Gentiles as he did his grace, the opportunity for salvation, and many more such things, but God has always called for mankind for action by the bodies doings on all things whether it be belief, grace, faith, obedience, love, etc. in order for mankind to serve Him and not the one precious Jesus put to death at Calvary proven by the following verses,

By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

(I Corinthians 15:2)

WE then as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

(II Corinthians 6:1)

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

(James 2:18)

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

(Romans 8:9)

So, God has given repentance to mankind, okay,

Now mankind has to receive it, and that is why there is a call for action for mankind, for the body's doings to prove they have received it and are doing it, manifesting they have received repentance. This manifestation of repenting is for all things, by purging and purifying what one formerly did as the "natural or old man" manifesting the 'new man' which is proving having received repentance by the new body's doings.

When God calls for His servants to action, that action is what this His servant has to do to remain obedient, including repent...just like love, faith, believe, or anything else God's Word requires for His servant to do...yes?

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

(I John 4:7)

Love, Brother David

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

NKJV

These verses of God's Word that are quoted are part of God's truth for God's truth is all of God's Word...

When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life." Acts 11:18

This God's servant believes that God did grant repentance to life for the Gentiles as he did his grace, the opportunity for salvation, and many more such things, but God has always called for mankind for action by the bodies doings on all things whether it be belief, grace, faith, obedience, love, etc. in order for mankind to serve Him and not the one precious Jesus put to death at Calvary proven by the following verses,

By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

WE then as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Now mankind has to receive it, and that is why there is a call for action for mankind, for the body's doings to prove they have received it and are doing it, manifesting they have received repentance. This manifestation of repenting is for all things, by purging and purifying what one formerly did as the "natural or old man" manifesting the 'new man' which is proving having received repentance by the new body's doings.

When God calls for His servants to action, that action is what this His servant has to do to remain obedient, including repent...just like love, faith, believe, or anything else God's Word requires for His servant to do...yes?

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Love, Brother David

You're right. You're all correct. But my question at the end of the OP was, will you (anybody) tell an unbeliever he must repent of his sins in order to be saved? He'll only think, "I can't do that, so I can't be saved" - and he'll be right about the first part if he's not yet saved, but he'll be wrong about the second part because it's faith in Jesus that saves us and not repentance of sin - the turning from sin and keeping from falling into temptation to sin follows after faith:

"Now you are clean through the Word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (Joh 15:3-5).

"For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins," (Heb 10:26).

The "go and sin no more part follows:

1. Faith in Jesus.

2. Cleansing from sin by the blood of Jesus.

The unregenerate person thinks "I can't repent of my sin, so I can't be saved", and we have to tell him that it's not true - and explain to him/her about the sanctification which is the work of the Holy Spirit, all we have to do is to cooperate by confessing our sins to God and submitting to His Lordship in our lives, for:

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us." (1Jn 1:8-10).

This is "walking in the light" because immediately before this, John said,

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us." (1Jn 1:6-10).

The water is the Holy Spirit - and it's an inward cleansing :emot-heartbeat: - and it follows believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and HIS righteousness and HIS sacrifice for our sins, knowing that our sins were nailed to the cross 2,000 years ago. How many poor souls who have never yet trusted in Jesus for their salvation and yet believed the message stayed away only because they thought that they must turn from their sins in order to be saved - because we tell them that? I don't know how many times I've told people that, I'm ashamed to say.

Anyway, the OP quotes a man who shows that the N.T meaning of "repent" is to "change your mind" and is always linked to faith, not turning from sin. The "turning from sin" part follows naturally. The law (10 commandments especially) shows us our sin - faith in Jesus is the solution - not "repentance from sin" by human effort.

Lekh

By the way, welcome to Worthy, brother David and all the people who posted in this thread who only joined Worthy recently :laugh:

NKJV

Love, Brother David

You're right. You're all correct. But my question at the end of the OP was, will you (anybody) tell an unbeliever he must repent of his sins in order to be saved? He'll only think, "I can't do that, so I can't be saved" - and he'll be right about the first part if he's not yet saved, but he'll be wrong about the second part because it's faith in Jesus that saves us and not repentance of sin - the turning from sin and keeping from falling into temptation to sin follows after faith:

"Now you are clean through the Word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (Joh 15:3-5).

"For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins," (Heb 10:26).

The "go and sin no more part follows:

1. Faith in Jesus.

2. Cleansing from sin by the blood of Jesus.

The unregenerate person thinks "I can't repent of my sin, so I can't be saved", and we have to tell him that it's not true - and explain to him/her about the sanctification which is the work of the Holy Spirit, all we have to do is to cooperate by confessing our sins to God and submitting to His Lordship in our lives, for:

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us." (1Jn 1:8-10).

This is "walking in the light" because immediately before this, John said,

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us." (1Jn 1:6-10).

The water is the Holy Spirit - and it's an inward cleansing :laugh: - and it follows believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and HIS righteousness and HIS sacrifice for our sins, knowing that our sins were nailed to the cross 2,000 years ago. How many poor souls who have never yet trusted in Jesus for their salvation and yet believed the message stayed away only because they thought that they must turn from their sins in order to be saved - because we tell them that? I don't know how many times I've told people that, I'm ashamed to say.

Anyway, the OP quotes a man who shows that the N.T meaning of "repent" is to "change your mind" and is always linked to faith, not turning from sin. The "turning from sin" part follows naturally. The law (10 commandments especially) shows us our sin - faith in Jesus is the solution - not "repentance from sin" by human effort.

Lekh

By the way, welcome to Worthy, brother David and all the people who posted in this thread who only joined Worthy recently :taped:

No, no, no Lekh...There is no bridge here...This God's servant will post a reply tomorrow...

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

(St. John 15:12)

Love, Brother David

Edited by BrotherDavid

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,400
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Which came first ... your faith in the one you are repenting to, our your repentance to a God you had no faith in?

Well onelight you sure know how to ask tough questions! You otto 1. lighten up on the newbies :emot-hug:

The Philippian jailer received Paul and Silas Acts 16:24 after they were beaten and was told to keep them securely! Securely stressed greatly because He put them in the inner prison and also fastened them in stocks. Next at Midnight their praying and singing praises to our Lord. The prisoners were listening to them, so much so, that when the earthquake shook all things loose, doors, shackles, stocks the prisoners were in where Paul and Silas were instead of escaping! The jailer was sleeping awakes and as He witnesses the doors open and passes by cells with chains and shackles and no prisoners at last He comes to the inner cell and the door is also open He just figures it to be the same as the rest he had already passed by. This could be a slow tortuous death for him so he draws his sword to kill himself and receives the greatest witness of something that is out of this world reality- Paul screamed from the cell he assumed was also empty and calling for a light went in and all were there before Paul and Silas. Their testimony alone and the work of God(drawing the hearts of the prisoners to want to be with Paul and Silas more than escaping) was more than this mans could understand but also something he did not have within himself but would have fled! Dropping to his knees before them and asking how can I be saved is repentance for he was submitted to that which he had power over! Then Paul and Silas told them all about Christ "they spoke the Word of The Lord to them" and they believed.

The Corinthians he labored by persuasion to bring them to Christ. Acts 18

At Ephesus Acts 19 finding 12 disciples "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

They were of the repentance of John the Baptist, when taught of Christ they were baptized

In The Name of Christ. When Paul laid hands on them they received The Holy Spirit.

It seems the testimony of others can bring repentance and directing that toward Christ Salvation.

Teaching the Word brings repentance and Salvation.

Having the incomplete doctrine of repentance and learning the fulness of doctrine in Christ brings salvation.

Faith and repentance always seem to accompany one another both are gifts from God not of any work we can generate! As far as the order 1st and last it seems up to the Lord who gives them. For in Him both the Alpha and Omega are the same. For in His pleasure the first shall be last and the last shall be first also that which is least is greatest and greatest the least. This is why His way increases out of our sight for He dwells without bounds and in all things He alone is I am that I am. He is ours and we are His because of what our Lord Christ has done and I shall always with His strength rejoice in the journey He has given me "Praise God through whom all blessing flow"! Love Steven

Thanks for the nice welcome Leka,

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

(St. Luke 4:4)

But my question at the end of the OP was, will you (anybody) tell an unbeliever he must repent of his sins in order to be saved?

The answer is no,

Anyone who feeds a baby is aware of what happens if the baby receives too much milk at one time. The baby could drown with too much milk

Well onelight you sure know how to ask tough questions! You otto 1. lighten up on the newbies :18:

That is a very simple and easy question ... :noidea:

Faith and repentance always seem to accompany one another both are gifts from God not of any work we can generate! As far as the order 1st and last it seems up to the Lord who gives them. For in Him both the Alpha and Omega are the same. For in His pleasure the first shall be last and the last shall be first also that which is least is greatest and greatest the least. This is why His way increases out of our sight for He dwells without bounds and in all things He alone is I am that I am. He is ours and we are His because of what our Lord Christ has done and I shall always with His strength rejoice in the journey He has given me "Praise God through whom all blessing flow"! Love Steven

Do you get dizzy running in circles? :laugh:

You are thinking way to hard trying to avoid a very easy question. Because you did not answer, I have to ask again.

Which came first?

1. Your faith in the one you are repenting to
    - or -
  2. your repentance to a God you had no faith in.

It is that easy ... :rolleyes:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,400
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Do you get dizzy running in circles? :thumbsup:

You are thinking way to hard trying to avoid a very easy question. Because you did not answer, I have to ask again.

Which came first?

- or -

It is that easy ...

It happened 40 years ago when I was twelve years of age! I remember I believed who Jesus was and all that He said about Himself even perhaps at the same time I was shown what I was and that I had nothing of value only sin and shame and that I needed Him. Sorrow and grief and shame till I told Pastor Elmore I wanted to ask Jesus to save me and He(The Father) adopted me as His son as soon as those words came out and I sensed weight being lifted off my soul and joy replaced sorrow and a newness I did not understand. So Faith in what His Word said about Him and then repentance but clearly I could not say for sure due to memory. Thats why the circles as you said I wish to be right in my sayings for I am accountable to my Lord for every word! Sorry I cannot be more accountable to your question! Love Steven

Do you get dizzy running in circles? :thumbsup:

Which came first?

- or -

It is that easy ...

It happened 40 years ago when I was twelve years of age! I remember I believed who Jesus was and all that He said about Himself even perhaps at the same time I was shown what I was and that I had nothing of value only sin and shame and that I needed Him. Sorrow and grief and shame till I told Pastor Elmore I wanted to ask Jesus to save me and He(The Father) adopted me as His son as soon as those words came out and I sensed weight being lifted off my soul and joy replaced sorrow and a newness I did not understand. So Faith in what His Word said about Him and then repentance but clearly I could not say for sure due to memory. Thats why the circles as you said I wish to be right in my sayings for I am accountable to my Lord for every word! Sorry I cannot be more accountable to your question! Love Steven

Thank you Steve. You are correct in your analyzation of the past. You first had to believe, otherwise, your repenting would be meaningless. Faith, even though it is not above love, is what pleases God.

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

In His Love,

Alan