OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

As I read one thread after another, something has come to the front in most of them that I read. From the deaths of our brethren who die for their belief in Christ to birth control and marriage, one question has always been there in my thoughts. How much faith do these people have? How much faith does one need to die for their God compared to how much faith we place in God for our spouse seems to be quite a difference, and rightly so one would think, but is it meant to be that way?

As I search scripture about faith, one thing stands out more then anything else, and that is the level of faith we are given. This is clearly seen when we read Romans 13:8 - Romans 14, where Paul is clear about one having more faith then another, but he is speaking about the liberty we have in faith more then living by faith. We read how the Apostle lived by faith as they moved from one place to another in their ministry. We read how the early church had to live by faith more then we do today, giving up all they had to help those who had nothing, or were in need. I turn to the question Jesus asked ... 'Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

Is the faith we have supposed to be different from one issue to another? In God, I see no difference in the faith He gives us, only the level of faith. Are we to seek more faith or be satisfied in what we have? We read many time that "By Faith" ... Hebrews 11 comes to mind. Just doing a little word search on faith, we find that it is mentioned over 280 times in just the New Testament alone, so how important is faith to God?

As an exercise, take a couple of days and see just how much you have to live by faith. Do this alone, between you and God. Do you have to rely on him for a place to sleep, food, clothing, money to live by or for our very freedom to live? Is our faith tested or is it something we wear as a label being a Christian? How much is your faith tested? What would happen if tomorrow, you had to live by faith alone? Would you survive? Is your faith strong enough to completely rely on God for everything? I ask because I believe the day is coming where this will become a reality to us all who trust in Christ, and not just an exercise.

Please, don't compare your faith to another persons faith here. This is meant to be done quietly, between you and God alone, not a debate to what faith is or is not. There are enough threads on that alone. Just become self aware to how much faith you truly have, kind of like taking your faith temperature. True faith, not "Word of Faith" faith either. (There is a big difference between Word of Faith teaching then real faith. Real faith is in God to provide, not to fill your wallet with money or get you that fancy new car or house, which if needed to be discussed, start another thread and discuss it there.)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

You bring out good points - things I have wrestled with and still do. There have been many times when I have been absolutely in awe of seeing how God has provided for food, shelter, and clothing. Things in my life seem to be heading in to a step by step faith that God will provide. In learning these steps I think of when my daughter was learning to walk her daddy would hold out his arms out to her, but she had to take that step of faith...pretty soon she was running.

I do believe you are correct that there is coming a day very soon when our faith will be tested by fire. I was shocked about the home Bible study that was declared against the law. Wow. We do need to be sure where our faith is placed and learn to live by faith.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

What gives our faith value is not the "quality of our faith". It is what we have faith in and why. If we focus on our faith we become self centered. We should rather focus on the object of our faith

What gives our faith value is not the "quality of our faith". It is what we have faith in and why. If we focus on our faith we become self centered. We should rather focus on the object of our faith

I agree that the focus should always be in Christ, but should we ignore what He has given us? I don't believe you see what I am saying. We have to have faith and this faith is our connection with Him. Without faith, we can not please God.

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I agree that the focus should always be in Christ, but should we ignore what He has given us? I don't believe you see what I am saying. We have to have faith and this faith is our connection with Him. Without faith, we can not please God.

Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

My faith, or measure of it, is something I question every day, especially when I am praying for another. I think I get were you are coming from.

Curry Blake was doing a healing ministry in Swaziland. His team had healed a few people in the morning, that afternoon the size of the audience had doubled. He asked the local pastor why this was. The answer was - "We do not have hospitals or doctors, we have Jesus, and without Him, we die" Faith or desperation?

I don't know....because even here I feel that had it been faith the audience would have been twice the size in the morning anyway.

And as you ask OneLight, I am not comparing my faith to anothers. How can I compare something I know I have, but do not know what the measure of it in myself is?

A good question/s you pose, and it bears some thinking. Which I will do......

I wonder how many place their faith in Jesus to save them, but not in Him to change them into who He desires them to be or to lead them in their lives?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,420
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

My friend and fellow vessel of the Holy Spirit of God whom presses your heart as mine in this truth! I understand the urging for I also am pressed this way.

The fire of testing is coming and only that which is of God remains all else will suffer loss! 1 Peter. I live very differently than I did 1 year ago and am preparing myself for sacrifice by the truthful examination of worth as presented in The Word of God! There is no value in the thing set aside for burning!

A quote from a now living with Christ saint " He is no fool to give up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose" Amen! Love Steven

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/23/1971

As I read one thread after another, something has come to the front in most of them that I read. From the deaths of our brethren who die for their belief in Christ to birth control and marriage, one question has always been there in my thoughts. How much faith do these people have? How much faith does one need to die for their God compared to how much faith we place in God for our spouse seems to be quite a difference, and rightly so one would think, but is it meant to be that way?

As I search scripture about faith, one thing stands out more then anything else, and that is the level of faith we are given. This is clearly seen when we read Romans 13:8 - Romans 14, where Paul is clear about one having more faith then another, but he is speaking about the liberty we have in faith more then living by faith. We read how the Apostle lived by faith as they moved from one place to another in their ministry. We read how the early church had to live by faith more then we do today, giving up all they had to help those who had nothing, or were in need. I turn to the question Jesus asked ... 'Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

Is the faith we have supposed to be different from one issue to another? In God, I see no difference in the faith He gives us, only the level of faith. Are we to seek more faith or be satisfied in what we have? We read many time that "By Faith" ... Hebrews 11 comes to mind. Just doing a little word search on faith, we find that it is mentioned over 280 times in just the New Testament alone, so how important is faith to God?

As an exercise, take a couple of days and see just how much you have to live by faith. Do this alone, between you and God. Do you have to rely on him for a place to sleep, food, clothing, money to live by or for our very freedom to live? Is our faith tested or is it something we wear as a label being a Christian? How much is your faith tested? What would happen if tomorrow, you had to live by faith alone? Would you survive? Is your faith strong enough to completely rely on God for everything? I ask because I believe the day is coming where this will become a reality to us all who trust in Christ, and not just an exercise.

Please, don't compare your faith to another persons faith here. This is meant to be done quietly, between you and God alone, not a debate to what faith is or is not. There are enough threads on that alone. Just become self aware to how much faith you truly have, kind of like taking your faith temperature. True faith, not "Word of Faith" faith either. (There is a big difference between Word of Faith teaching then real faith. Real faith is in God to provide, not to fill your wallet with money or get you that fancy new car or house, which if needed to be discussed, start another thread and discuss it there.)

Wow One, This has been on our (hubby and me) minds the last week and 1/2. My pastor is in Turkey right now and she will be away for a total of three weeks. Before she left for her trip her last sermon was on this - She wants us to think about this and understand what it is to totally rely on Him and have total Faith. I just find this not to be a coincedence but we really do need to be able to have total Faith - the time is coming!!!

Thanks One, Amen!!!

Jane

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Things that we are effected by, that we go through, often seam crazy to the world, and to mahy brethren as well. When the Lord had David Wilkerson go to New York to minister, he often slept in his car (a dangerous thing to do at best). He had faith that the Lord was sending him, and he made do with whatever the Lord provided. Until you choose to do whatever He calls you to do without provision, without backup, without credit cards, it is really hard to appreciate what Jesus was talking about...

And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

Matt 8:20 (KJV)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Onelight:

Very thought provoking post but I expect nothing less from you. My immediate thought was we should have more faith then our will for self-preservation (an instinctive need). This is the ultimate giving of self in faith and I think few possess it. Also I think faith has two main components and they are our conscience and reason.

The first example that comes to mind is when evil tempted Christ to fall from the pinnacle of the temple. Now, it was / is surely written that Christ would be protected by angels [even if his foot would strike against a stone] and evil slyly tempted Christ. But Christ answered him,