IGNORED

Can one be saved without repenting...

eis

Guest shiloh357
If we are saved by faith only, can one be saved without repenting of sin?

I never got a really good answer before.

That is because we are not saved by faith only. We are saved by Christ only. Your approach to this issue makes the person and not Christ the object of faith. Your faith is in your actions, not in Christ. It really is a subtle form of idolatry.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

That is because we are not saved by faith only. We are saved by Christ only. Your approach to this issue makes the person and not Christ the object of faith. Your faith is in your actions, not in Christ. It really is a subtle form of idolatry.

Okay, I'll modify so that you can understand it without the semantics:

If we are saved by faith(in Christ) only, can one be saved without repenting of sin?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

A man cannot serve two masters. In order to serve / follow / have faith in / support Christ, we must necessarily turn from the previous master, the flesh. This is what repenting is. So no, you can't be saved without repenting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

:thumbsup: Amen, wyguy. I would suspect the same thing, in such situations...

Sadly, there are many false conversions happening these days because of "easy believism", which puts far too much stock in saying a simplistic, quickie ( so-called ) "sinner's prayer" and even leaves repentance out of many gospel presentations! Yet there are so MANY scriptures in the Word on repenting, that it is clear God wanted us to know the necessity of it in getting saved.

True faith will result in true repentance and a true conversion...( meaning your lifestyle will be truly transformed. Changed by the power of God.) It is a complete package!

Repentance is both a spiritual 'change of mind' and 'change of direction.' When we come to realize that we are sinners and feel guilty (the conviction of the Holy Spirit), we will ask forgiveness for our sins that nailed Christ to the cross. We'll be sorry for that and so we will desire to change...

With God drawing us to Himself, we will turn and walk in a whole new direction. Jesus said it will make us into brand new people! In John 3, Jesus described it as being "Born Again", because it is so radical of a difference in ones' life.

2 Corinthians 5:17 confirms this:

"If any man is a Christian, he's a new creation: old things are passed away; all things become new.

Here are just a couple scriptures that stress the need to repent!

Acts 3:19 says, "Repent and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out"...

2 Corinthians 7:10 "For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world works death."

And repentance, in turn produces good works.

Jesus explained in Matthew 7: 17-21 that we can even tell who is a real Christian by this indicator.

17 Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that does not bring forth good fruit is chopped down, and cast into the fire.

20 So by their fruits you shall know them.

21 Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven.

I know there are wonderful scriptures that are comforting in which the word 'repent' is not used. Such as Ephesians 2:8-9

8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

And Salvation is a free gift... Yet NOT a CHEAP one. For Christ had to pay for it with His very Own Blood. This should make us so thankful, that we would naturally respond by an attitude of repentance and want to willingly serve Him for the rest of our lives.

And the sign that we are saved or the outgrowth from that repentance results in good works. Some people mistakenly think that it is our good works that get us into Heaven. Like we can somehow EARN our way there. But that is getting the cart before the horse! It is just the opposite. God saves us after we come to Him in faith and sorrow for our sins, repenting. Then HE enables us to live the way He wants us to.

The people who are so eager to quote Ephesians 2:8-9 as proof that we just need faith and don't need to repent, seldom quote the very next verse that follows this passage: Ephesians 2:10

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.

So repentance (and good works being a consequence of repenting) are very biblical.

James 2:17-26 says:

17 Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yes, a man may say, You have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith BY my works.

19 You believe that there is one God; you do well: but the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 See how faith combined with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which said, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 You see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

This explains that if a person is genuinely converted, they will automatically long to REPENT of their sinful ways and live from that point forward to please Christ.

I think scriptures must be taken as a whole package. The harsher ones, along with the ones we all feel at ease about. They can not be isolated. If we pull a favorite verse out that appeals to us and stake our souls on it, that is dangerous. ( We must not ignore the rest of the scriptures, because then that is not "rightly dividing the word of truth." Which is what the scripture commands us to do.) Those verses pertaining to repentance simply would not be in there, if they were irrelevant.

Faith and repentance definitely go together. For how can you not be moved to repentance when you think upon the horrors of what Jesus suffered for our individual sins? That should drive us to a sense of shame and wanting to fully commit our lives to Him.

Well, I hope I didn't overwhelm you with too long of an answer. But taking the Bible as a whole is key to the true gospel. Much like putting together a puzzle will be a mess if pieces of it are left out.

Anyway, I hope I was of help to you. And I thank you for posting a very good question.

Guest lovinghim4ever

Luke 13:5 . . .

"No, and I tell you again that unless you repent, you will also perish." (NLT)

. . . Nuff said . . .

:thumbsup::noidea::laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Ditto on the previous... :noidea:

No, one cannot be saved without repentance.

Luk 13:3-5

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luk 24:46-47

And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Guest shiloh357

Okay, I'll modify so that you can understand it without the semantics:

If we are saved by faith(in Christ) only, can one be saved without repenting of sin?

Repentance is the response of faith to the gospel. Repentance happens the minute you acknowledge the gospel by faith. You cannot believe and not repent. It is impossible. Repentance is included in faith. A true saving faith naturally results in repentance and not only when you get saved, but for the rest of your Christian life. Repentance happens everyday for a true Christian. We live in a continuous attitude of repentance as the Lord continues to show us sin in our lives.

The reason you did not get the answer you wanted is because you are asking the wrong question. It is a question that demonstrates a lack of knowledge about repentance and salvation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

Repentance is the response of faith to the gospel.

I'll buy that.

Repentance happens the minute you acknowledge the gospel by faith. You cannot believe and not repent. It is impossible. Repentance is included in faith.

Then Peter was wasting his breath in Acts 2 when asked "Brethren what shall we do?" and he responded "Repent and..." I guess the question was rhetorical since the belief was already there.

Surely you have Scripture that says "Repentance is included in faith" or "Repentance happens the minute you acknowledge the gospel by faith."

The reason you did not get the answer you wanted is because you are asking the wrong question. It is a question that demonstrates a lack of knowledge about repentance and salvation.

No you and I disagree so most of my statements and questions are invalid, false assumptions, logic errors and misapplications. That's the way one forifiies their position against someone with whom they disagree.

Guest shiloh357
Then Peter was wasting his breath in Acts 2 when asked "Brethren what shall we do?" and he responded "Repent and..." I guess the question was rhetorical since the belief was already there.
It is not a problem since Peter was not trying establish doctrine. They asked a question and Peter answered it.

Surely you have Scripture that says "Repentance is included in faith" or "Repentance happens the minute you acknowledge the gospel by faith."
Repentance means to change direction. You go from rejecting Christ to receiving Christ. That is repentance. True repentance will be borne out when a person forsakes sin and lives in holiness before the Lord. I don't need a Scripture for that. There is not ONE case in Scripture that a person received Christ without repentance. It can't be done. Receiving Christ is an act of repentance in and of it's self.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

Repenting of sin is at the core of what Christianity is all about. The fact that Christ saved us from eternal judgement because of our sin, no one can or could have done what He did for all who would repent and put there faith in Jesus. So as a Christian you should have a deep desire to please Jesus and turn from you old ways of life, turn from sinfulness. Does this mean we will never sin? no! We are sinners by nature, however, as a Christians He has given us a new nature, this new nature wants to please Him. Because we cannot be perfect/without sin, we need His grace, and His grace extends from the cross to heaven for all those who are saved/born-again.

Hope this helps

e