• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

This is just nuts :thumbsup:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/stron...0-1225855058149

A STRONG 6.3 magnitude quake has struck off Papua New Guinea, US geologists said today, but there has been no tsunami warning.

The quake struck at 9.15am local time, with its epicentre located 28 kilometres east of the town of Lae, and at a depth of 66 kilometres, the United States Geological Survey said.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

I'd like to know if there are any statistics for instances of earthquakes hitting near major population centers in any given period of time. I know we have the statistics for the static number of earthquakes over long periods. This may be something we need to look at a little closer. :thumbsup:

I'd like to know if there are any statistics for instances of earthquakes hitting near major population centers in any given period of time. I know we have the statistics for the static number of earthquakes over long periods. This may be something we need to look at a little closer. :thumbsup:

The problem with this kind of analysis is

• reporting bias - we have progressively added more and more sensors, under reporting large earthquakes in the past that went undetected, and
  • population growth - of course earthquakes these days are going to effect more people, simply because there are more of us. We wouldn't be comparing apples with apples if we looked at raw figures.

Earthquakes naturally cluster. The question we want to ask is.... is this an abnormal cluster in terms of frequency and magnitude?

A STRONG 6.3 magnitude quake has struck off Papua New Guinea, US geologists said today, but there has been no tsunami warning.

The quake struck at 9.15am local time, with its epicentre located 28 kilometres east of the town of Lae, and at a depth of 66 kilometres, the United States Geological Survey said.

How does the frequency line up with the historical data now andy?

Anything noticeable?

I think it merits me looking at it again! :thumbsup:

How does the frequency line up with the historical data now andy?

Anything noticeable?

I think it merits me looking at it again! :thumbsup:

Really?..wow!

Keep me posted please..I am not convinced..... yet.

I'm desperately trying not to be overly insightful on this. One starts to wonder at what point we really are going to have to seriously rethink some of this though. Another 3 months, 6 months, 2 years? At this point I think we need to discern whether or not the Chile earthquake coming so closely on the back of the Haiti earthquake has heightened awareness, or if we are actually in some sort of upswing. I think you're right about the population explosion making it difficult to quantify as far as in terms of an actual human toll. What about indicators such as just near population centers relative to the population over, say, the past 100 years, etc. I may be just sort of rambling here, but the last three or four of these have really caught my attention. I'm feeling a lot less dismissive about this than I was say a month ago.

Edited by Steve_S

Well... I could do it. But before I do look at it again, lemme ask something...

How is your day to day life, and devotion to the Lord, going to change based on this?

If it came back that we are having a one-in-a-thousand year in terms of earthquakes... how will that change you? If it came back as a one-in-ten year, would that change anything?

As far as I see it, we are in the end times, we should always be ready.

Well... I could do it. But before I do look at it again, lemme ask something...

How is your day to day life, and devotion to the Lord, going to change based on this?

If it came back that we are having a one-in-a-thousand year in terms of earthquakes... how will that change you? If it came back as a one-in-ten year, would that change anything?

As far as I see it, we are in the end times, we should always be ready.

Amen sister..I believe we have been in the last days for the last 2000 years.It would not change my thinking in an way.

:thumbsup:

I have never really been caught up in the "the end is near" talk.Thanks for the reminder.

(just out of curiosity though..let me know if you revisit the data by years end :thumbsup: )

Mat 24:42-44 MKJV

(42) Therefore watch; for you do not know what hour your Lord comes.

(43) But know this, that if the steward of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched and would not have allowed his house to be dug through.

(44) Therefore you also be ready, for in that hour you think not, the Son of Man comes.

It wouldn't change anything with me either. These are interesting times though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,431
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yah Andy it shook em off the trees! :thumbsup:

Guest HIS girl

Uh oh andy - one in Adelaide and now one off PNG...where do we run?????? :thumbsup: