• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Diane Campbell saved up, bit by bit, the $600 required to buy an Apple iPad, but when she showed up at the store with a wad of cash to buy the tablet, she found she was out of luck.

Campbell recalls her visit to the Palo Alto Apple Store: "I had my cash in the backpack and I went up proudly to the counter and told them, 'I would like to purchase an iPad.'"

Apple's sales policy states that the iPad must be purchased by credit or debit card, according to ABC News. No plastic means no tablet, and the Apple employee turned Campbell away.

"They said, 'Sorry, we don't take cash.' And, so I looked at her and I said OK she's kidding," Campbell tells ABC News.

Although Apple did not respond to ABC News' request for an explanation, Campbell was told by an Apple Store employee that the plastic-only policy is intended to cut down on piracy--customers who buy vast numbers of iPads, in order to sell them overseas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/18/a...h_n_580357.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

sounds like a good security measure to me.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1951

I dunno. Seems to me if U.S. currency is not accepted, there's something intrinsically wrong with that policy. There actually are people who either choose not to have a credit/debit card or choose not to use it (like if your account is nearly maxed-out).

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I use a debit card and I don't even remember what cash looks like.... :whistling: I found a quarter the other day....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I dunno. Seems to me if U.S. currency is not accepted, there's something intrinsically wrong with that policy. There actually are people who either choose not to have a credit/debit card or choose not to use it (like if your account is nearly maxed-out).

It's not that they don't like cash, it's that they want to know who is buying their computers..... and since we don't have ID cards, this is the second best way. YOu attach a credit card number to the mother board serial number and when it shows up over in China to be cloned, you know who to sic the government on for taking technology overseas.

It may also be that it has banned technology for exporting. There's a lot of that in the computer industry.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I use a debit card because it is convenient, but there is nothing like cold hard cash when your selling something. :whistling:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

sounds like a good security measure to me.

Sounds like a violation of Federal Law to me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

It's not that they don't like cash, it's that they want to know who is buying their computers..... and since we don't have ID cards, this is the second best way. YOu attach a credit card number to the mother board serial number and when it shows up over in China to be cloned, you know who to sic the government on for taking technology overseas.

It may also be that it has banned technology for exporting. There's a lot of that in the computer industry.

To require a state issued id to purchase would be legal. To refuse cash is illegal.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

To require a state issued id to purchase would be legal. To refuse cash is illegal.

:emot-handshake: