• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

I have been fostering a stray dog (possibly an Australian Shepard) since Friday. He came bounding towards my daughter and I as we left to take her to school. He was so friendly, I thought for sure he belonged to someone, so I put him inside and took my daughter on to school.

Since Friday, I have spent over $100 on supplies and have had no luck finding an owner (I make around $750 a month).

I have also called one local animal rescue-I have to leave a message and wait for someone to call me back-and have been told there is a waiting list.

I called another recuse (the only other one in my county), left another message, and have yet to receive a call back from them. I am assuming they, too, are full.

My situation?

#1. I live in a matchbox apartment that is too small for this size dog

#2. The maximum weight limit for pets allowed at my apartment is 20lbs. "Nixon" (as my daughter has taken to calling him) weighs 42lbs.

#3. I start a pet sitting job tomorrow and will be gone for a week, living in someone else's house, and cannot bring the dog with me.

#4. I can't even get a call back from animal control because he isn't 'viscious'.

#5. All the animal lovers that I know can't (won't) help me.

If I don't find a place to take this dog, I will be kicked out of my apartment. I live in Housing Authority! If I get kicked out of here, there is NO WHERE for me and my daughter to go.

Can anyone please give me an option that DOESN'T include "dumping him"-as two of the ladies I talked to suggested?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  198
  • Days Won:  1

Did you try to locate the owner by putting up an ad in the newspaper or putting up signs?

I've done everything I know to do. No one has responded. He doesn't have an ID chip. I'm sure he belonged to someone, though. He's just too friendly. He's about a year old, and although thin, looks very healthy. He has a very soft and silky coat that only improved with a bath. He doesn't seem to have had any training, but he's picking up on things very quickly. He is only a little skittish of loud noises, but I'm sure that came about through wandering around; but he's not afraid of my hands or my feet, nor is he food aggressive. I hate to say it, but I think he was abandoned. With the economy being what it is, I'm sure dumping animals is becoming common place.

The county in which I live doesn't have a Humane Society, just the two rescue shelters; and I can't take him to the Humane Society of the neighboring counties because they only take animals from their own counties.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was in the exact same situation last summer. unfortunately for me, the only option WAS to let the cat go.

Have you asked your management for special exemption? God is kinda in the business of softening people's heart at the most unexpected times/situations.

The only other thing I can think of is to leave the dog outside where you live. You can bring it food at a designated spot or ask your daughter to do so since you will be away.

I can understand how you are feeling though. Where I am living right now, there are about as many stray dogs as there are street kids (LOTS!). Its hard to see especially since all of them are very frail with only skin and bone.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,798
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  224
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I used to home rescue dogs and have done so for many years ( had to give up due to ill health ) and I KNOW how hard this must be for you BUT if you end up homeless and make your daughter homeless then what are you going to do ????

If you continue to home this dog will you end up being legally responsible for him ??? What then ???

Peaches is right in what she is saying about letting him go ..yes take food to him but you MUST put your daughters life first :noidea:

Well, today is the day. After crying a good bit and begging God for a solution, I woke this morning with the decision to make another attempt with the Sheriff's department. I've been told they will likely euthinize (sp?) him, but to me, that is a far more kind thing to do for this dog than letting him slowly starve to death, breed who knows how many litters of pups that likely will starve to death, get hit by a car and die a slow but painful death, become terrified of people who abuse stray dogs and thus become aggressive out of fear, etc, and etc. "Nixon" is simply too great a dog for that. My prayer is that God softens the heart of one of the guys with Animal Control and will take him home to his family. I think its best for Nixon all the way around seeing that I can't find him a good place to go. I hate it, but to me, it's better than the life he'd live on the streets.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/23/1971

Awwww - praying for you and your daughter and this poor abandond dog. People always drop animals off at my house, they see a barn and think their pet will be taken in. Well, they are right but.............................we too take the animal to the vets and make sure it is ok and then try to find a good home for it. I would love to help you, but if I take another stray animal in my husband will put me in the barn with it. :24::noidea:

praying,

Jane

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,798
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  224
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:noidea::laugh::blink::emot-hug::emot-hug: A hard but loving choice :emot-hug::blink:

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

If it was by a school have you tried putting up fliers around that area or even asking the school if you could put a flier up there?

If it was by a school have you tried putting up fliers around that area or even asking the school if you could put a flier up there?

My daughter took over that role. He even got away from me on Monday and showed up at her school, much to the delight of the kids, and the dismay of the adults. Needless to say, the school knows all about him thanks to my daughter. My daughter called from the school to tell me where he'd gotten to and I went to get him. Several kids "claimed" him, but I've yet to hear from any parents, so I'm thinking it was wishful thinking. My daughter took his picture to school today, and has been asking all week, hoping to find someone who will take him home. I wish I could just get someone to meet him. Kids are always asking for pets and I'm sure, by now, the parents have turned a deaf ear. I'm praying God has a family that is serious about wanting a family dog and will give him a chance.