• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Is there a right and wrong way to publically pray? Should it be a structured outline or straight from the hip? I know that we are taught to model our prayers after The Lord's Prayer, but just repeating that prayer would seem unoriginal. Why is it some people can get up there and just pray and pray and pray,and folks like me just stammer and hunt for what to say? I want to get better at public prayer so people won't snicker at me when I pray.

A very wise man I know once said that there was only one rule for leading public prayer - open your mouth and say words to God. :)

I like that idea Paul. Hey, welcome to Worthy Boards!

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Well one paster I knew said, if you accidentally rebuke Jesus out loud, it makes it much easier to pray out loud. He tried to rebuke Satan but in the heat of the moment, he said Jesus instead!

Oh my goodness, I would be scared to death to do that. Indeed ,though, I would be praying for a week trying to set it right!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Is there a right and wrong way to publically pray? Should it be a structured outline or straight from the hip? I know that we are taught to model our prayers after The Lord's Prayer, but just repeating that prayer would seem unoriginal. Why is it some people can get up there and just pray and pray and pray,and folks like me just stammer and hunt for what to say? I want to get better at public prayer so people won't snicker at me when I pray.

It does not matter whether alone or with people speak to your Father as is in your Heart, there is one form taught us

Matt 6:9-13

9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,

Hallowed be Your name.

10 Your kingdom come.

Your will be done

On earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,

As we forgive our debtors.

13 And do not lead us into temptation,

But deliver us from the evil one.

For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

NKJV

but only to do with all your heart with all your strength, with all your mind. For it is this truth you pray for all who are present to the one who matters ONLY and is able to perform what is asked!. Love Steven

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Prayer is just like talking to God. He has no expectations from us except that we come to Him with a sincere heart. He doesn't care if you're angry, sad, or joyful. He want's to be that involved in your everyday life. So, just talk to Him. He is waiting and listening for you.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Why is it some people can get up there and just pray and pray and pray,and folks like me just stammer and hunt for what to say? I want to get better at public prayer so people won't snicker at me when I pray.

Public prayer should be treated as in personal prayer, desiring to touch the heart of God. Maybe those who can pray longer are the ones who has been doing it the longest and have found common ground. Its those that snicker I'm having a problem with and so is God. If this is new for you, just say what has been placed upon your heart by the Holy Spirit. Don't try to keep up with the one who prayed the longest or used great words. Look within and tap into the promises of God, the request of those that may not be able to attend, as well as those who are gathered. Including scripture is one the greatest of all that helps a prayer to be successful.

I found this and its explaining what I'm trying to say above. The pastor is touching base with a lot you shared in the OP, it will make you chuckle...but its true

http://preachersfiles.com/how-to-lead-prayer/

2J :laugh:

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Including scripture is one the greatest of all that helps a prayer to be successful.

amen, amen and amen! He loves a heart filled with his Word!!! :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  11/06/1994

For me, prayer has been a really big struggle. I usually talk to him as if he is next to me, because if i close my eyes, i get distracted, and i tell him what i think. i believe that if i tell him what i believe, it's definately more sincere, compared to something memorized. It is not like a prayer that one would make in front of the church, but it works for me. I tell him how i feel about things, why i need other things, and mostly thank him for everything.

You know, i found this forum today, and i don't even know how. I don't remember, but i think he wanted me to find it, see i haven't prayed in a few day, and to me, it's like not eating.

yay! i found this forum!!! :emot-partyblower:

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I use to think so. Everyone that pray's out loud sounds great. Then I pray and it sound all broken up. I learned that if you pray to God from your heart and don't care about others or how it sounds it helps. We should not be treying to impress man.

It is to God for God.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alaaandme

I have a problem I don't have any religion and I want to choose between christianity and islam. Islam has a book that hasn't changed by any one for more than 1400 years but christianity has been changed by priests does this mean that God has chosen islam for everyone over the world?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Hi,

The dead sea scrolls which are far older than the quran proves that the bible has not been altered at all, especially not by priests.

Islam is not the way to God. Only Jesus can save, not islam. I hope you will take the time to read the bible and to see for yourself the love of God through His sacrifce, His gift of salvation in the work of Jesus .