• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

I know of two churches in my town that are currently caught up in dispute. One of them split several years ago, and is caught up in dispute yet again. The other one has split. (I don't know the other churches; I'm still researching.) I won't go into why they are or might split. I'm just interested to know if this is a common occurance, a growing occurance, an uncommon occurance, or what. I know there a lot of reasons for churches to split. Why they are splitting isn't the issue. just .

I don't want statistics either, just a general feel from y'all about the number of churches splitting in your communities. Seeing this is an international board, it will be interesting to see how widespread it is.

If I'm not making sense, let me know.

Edited by stormy612

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I have never researched statistically how many churches split and divide congregations. It has happened here several times and I know of other places that have experienced the same - In my estimation, it's usually church "politics" that divide people and often prideful attitudes. I'm sure that people must have what they believe are valid reasons for leaving their original church and beginning another.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It happens in every community [city]. Where I live, when churches split it is usually the larger churches in the area that benefit, (in membership).

In my experience most divisions come when you have factions within the membership that are trying to gain control of something.

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I have to agree with Believer1997 however there are any number of reasons that could lead to splintering of congregations. For instance there may be some in those congregations that feel their church is becoming too commercial. Perhaps some prefer to study more than lift up praise in song. Perhaps some prefer to stick to hymns as opposed to more contemporary music which they may consider more secular. Ultimately the best way to find our the why's and when's is to ask members of the congregations. As for the frequency I would have to say this is a common occurrence tho I would say is happens often. Chalk it up to growing pains if you must.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,197
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I know of two churches in my town that are currently caught up in dispute. One of them split several years ago, and is caught up in dispute yet again. The other one has split. (I don't know the other churches; I'm still researching.) I won't go into why they are or might split. I'm just interested to know if this is a common occurance, a growing occurance, an uncommon occurance, or what. I know there a lot of reasons for churches to split. Why they are splitting isn't the issue. just .

I don't want statistics either, just a general feel from y'all about the number of churches splitting in your communities. Seeing this is an international board, it will be interesting to see how widespread it is.

It is foretold with the increase of iniquity love of many will grow cold

Matt 24:4-14

4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come

NKJV

The only defense to this is to use every escape afforded you by God to maintain this

Phil 4:8-9

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I'm thinkin' that no matter what the reasons...even tho there are those that are valid....it is not in God's best to have divisions in His body...Jude 19, Eph.4.

Here are some interesting webs about it...

< http://www.christianity.about.com/od/denom...nominations.htm >

< http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/a120.htm >

Bless you...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Why would you want folks feelings about it rather than statisitics?