OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

While I was listening to Revelation tonight, I kept wondering what this verse meant when John referred to the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation 4:5 (New American Standard Bible) Out from the throne come flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;

This verse references Revelation 1:4 (New American Standard Bible) John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne,

which then references Isaiah 11:2

The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him,

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

The problem is that in Isaiah, there are only 6 spirits mentioned, unless we count the Spirit of the Lord being the first.

What do you all say?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/18/1948

While I was listening to Revelation tonight, I kept wondering what this verse meant when John referred to the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation 4:5 (New American Standard Bible) Out from the throne come flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;

This verse references Revelation 1:4 (New American Standard Bible) John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne,

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

The problem is that in Isaiah, there are only 6 spirits mentioned, unless we count the Spirit of the Lord being the first.

What do you all say?

I thought it was from Isaiah but upon further study the s is not captilezed in old testament the word spirit refers to ruwach strons 7307 while in new testament it is capilized making personal or from the Holy Spirit the word comes from pnruma strons number 4151

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

What do you all say?

My understanding is the seven lamps represent the seven churches to which John wrote, while the seven spirits are the attending ministering angels.

Heb 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Re 8:2 And I saw the
seven angels
who stand before God
, and to them were given seven trumpets.

Re 8:6 Then the
seven angels
who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

Re 15:1 I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign:
seven angels
with the seven last plagues-- last, because with them God's wrath is completed.

Re 15:6 Out of the temple came the
seven angels
with the seven plagues. They were dressed in clean, shining linen and wore golden sashes around their chests.

Re 15:7 Then one of the four living creatures gave to the
seven angels
seven golden bowls filled with the wrath of God, who lives for ever and ever.

Re 15:8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from his power, and no one could enter the temple until the seven plagues of the
seven angels
were completed.

Re 16:1 Then I heard a loud voice from the temple saying to the
seven angels
, "Go, pour out the seven bowls of God's wrath on the earth."

Re 17:1 One of the
seven angels
who had the seven bowls came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits on many waters.

Re 21:9 One of the
seven angels
who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

What do you all say?

My understanding is the seven lamps represent the seven churches to which John wrote, while the seven spirits are the attending ministering angels.

Heb 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Yes, that is what is confusing to me. We do read that when Christ appeared to John in Revelation 1, Christ informs John that the seven lamp stands are the seven churches. Then He goes on to say that the lamps of fire before the throne are the seven Spirits of God. How can we take them to be the same, one being lamp-stands and the other lamps of fire? I believe that He would of used the same terminology if He meant them to be the same.

When referring back to Isaiah 11:2, we read the "Spirit of the Lord",where martus is correct in stating that the copy of the original text did not capitalize the word "Spirit" when speaking of the "spirit of the Lord", but the question then remains ... does not "wisdom; understanding; counsel; strength; knowledge and the fear of the Lord all come from His Spirit, or the Holy Spirit, so how is there a list of 7 there?

Could this be referring to the "perfect" number, stating that the seven Spirits being just a perfect spirit? If so, then why pluralize?

Thanks for being patient with me as I ponder these verses.

I know this forum has many well studied family members ... I sure could use some more input. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

What do you all say?

You are in the right passage, you have just counted a bit wrong. We know the passage is speaking of The Holy Spirit. His name in this passage contains His first attribute. He is "The Spirit of the Lord." He is also "The Spirit of Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel" etc.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

seven angels
who stand before God

seven angels

seven angels

seven angels
with the seven plagues. They were dressed in clean, shining linen and wore golden sashes around their chests.

seven angels

Re 15:8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from his power, and no one could enter the temple until the seven plagues of the
seven angels
were completed.

seven angels

seven angels
who had the seven bowls came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits on many waters.

seven angels
who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

seven angels
who stand before God

seven angels

seven angels

seven angels

seven angels

seven angels
were completed.

seven angels

seven angels

seven angels

:thumbsup:

You have seven angels in this passage. This is in no way saying these 7 angels are the 7 Spirits. Context is wrong.

The spirit of
wisdom
and
understanding

The spirit of
counsel
and
strength

The spirit of
knowledge
and the
fear of the LORD

What do you all say?

You are in the right passage, you have just counted a bit wrong. We know the passage is speaking of The Holy Spirit. His name in this passage contains His first attribute. He is "The Spirit of the Lord." He is also "The Spirit of Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel" etc.

Notice the capitalized "S" in the first sentence and the little "s" in the rest. That is why I did not count them one in the same. To me, it is saying that the 6 are part of the 1, not different from.