WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

So it's an emergency and unemployment is an emergency measure but people shouldn't get it. How do we gauge when the emergency is over. Does it end when you find a job, or when everyone finds a job. Is it when unemployment is 5%? Is unemployment 9% now or is it more like 20%? If you cut out the unemployment, the people who can find jobs will take them immediately. Then what do you do with whoever is left. 2.5 million have lost benefits since june. If three quarters found work tomorrow you would still have 625,000 without a job or income of any kind. That's the population of Boston. Do you just say, sorry survive the best you can. The only answers I've heard are cut taxes and run off the illegals. Ok will that happen on Tuesday so the 625,000 can go to work Wednesday?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

So it's an emergency and unemployment is an emergency measure but people shouldn't get it. How do we gauge when the emergency is over. Does it end when you find a job, or when everyone finds a job. Is it when unemployment is 5%? Is unemployment 9% now or is it more like 20%? If you cut out the unemployment, the people who can find jobs will take them immediately. Then what do you do with whoever is left. 2.5 million have lost benefits since june. If three quarters found work tomorrow you would still have 625,000 without a job or income of any kind. That's the population of Boston. Do you just say, sorry survive the best you can. The only answers I've heard are cut taxes and run off the illegals. Ok will that happen on Tuesday so the 625,000 can go to work Wednesday?

These are questions that go above MY pay grade, rp. I agree that being without an income is just about the worst thing that can happen to one (in life anyway) but the core truth is.....the money is NOT there to continue to pay these benefits. If you don't have the money to pay your bills, how do you do it? Borrow it? Loans have to be paid back, with interest. Earning more money would seem to be a better way of paying those bills. Nothing to be paid back, no interest and it stimulates the economy. If one has to take a lower paying job (more than 10% less), the government should suspend all income taxes for a year or however long the person remains at the job then gradually require the paying of taxes after the year is up. Full income taxes would have to be paid once the worker was within 10% of his/her pre-2008 income (or whatever year they lost their job.) This would be more advantageous for the worker than paying taxes on UE benefits as they have to do now. It might also encourage more people to actually TAKE a job that's not their first choice and begin to build their life again. And it would increase revenue for the feds.

Well in the end life will go on. Hopefully everyone will make it through and things will get better. I guess it is what it is.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The only answers I've heard are cut taxes

Cutting taxes stimulates the economy and returns three dollars for every dollar cut. Government spending generates nothing and only takes from those who have to be consumed on those who have not. We are not a collectivist society. :thumbsup:

Two wrongs do not make a right. We have unemployment and then the Government subsidizes it. It's unsustainable.

I have an idea though. Let's just let folks stay on unemployment indefinately, I mean it's the charitable thing to do isn't it, and after all times are tough. :thumbsup: What do you say? :noidea:

Well in the end life will go on. Hopefully everyone will make it through and things will get better. I guess it is what it is.

I don't know about hope being the answer, it can't hurt though. I think prayer would be more effective because only God can tackle problems as big as this one.....not just in the U.S., but around the world.

The only answers I've heard are cut taxes

Cutting taxes stimulates the economy and returns three dollars for every dollar cut. Government spending generates nothing and only takes from those who have to be consumed on those who have not. We are not a collectivist society. :thumbsup:

Two wrongs do not make a right. We have unemployment and then the Government subsidizes it. It's unsustainable.

I have an idea though. Let's just let folks stay on unemployment indefinately, I mean it's the charitable thing to do isn't it, and after all times are tough. :thumbsup: What do you say? :noidea:

Right. Subsidizing unemployment for an indefinite period is akin to ripping the scab off a wound every time it starts to heal. Totally unproductive. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

It becomes your responsibility to help your fellow man when they are in a time of need. Have any of you been unemployed for more than 26 weeks in the last 2 years. If you haven't then you have been blessed. Right now you get 26 weeks unemployment. If you can't find a job in 26 weeks what are you supposed to do? Are you saying that the one million that have lost benefits since june are just lazy deadbeats. They had to work in order to qualify for the 26 but suddenly since losing their job they have become lazy and unwilling to work? If congress can create an environment where jobs are being created then do it! But help the people in the meantime.

If someone can't find a job in 26 weeks, there is something seriously wrong with their motivational skills, simple as that. Losing a job that was not of their doing is one thing, but not finding a job in 6 months is virtually impossible if you are out looking every day for one.

Congress is under no constitutional obligation to provide an environment where jobs are being created, nor was it ever intended to be. It's an area where Congress simply is not under any legal justification to act. Any time Congress is providing jobs through legislation, it is overstepping it's constitutional boundaries.

t.

So say the ones with jobs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  3

Unemployment Benefits are actually a far better form of Economic Stimulus than Tax Cuts. If people want to revitalize the economy through tax cuts, restoring jobless benefits would do far better.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

So say the ones with jobs.

Well what better example would you use for the jobless than one who has a job?

t.