• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1961

I just read both letters Peter wrote, I did not find the word christian in them.

Maybe I missed it, please give this writing.

King James Version (KJV) I Pet 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

New International Version (NIV) I Pet 4:16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

New American Standard Bible (NASB) I Pet 4:16 but if anyone suffers as a Christian, he is not to be ashamed, but is to glorify God in this name.

English Standard Version (ESV) I Pet 4:16 Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.

Yep, I see it.

Now , he is talking about suffering things for the name of Christ.

These people inflicting the suffering, were calling them christians.

He is saying don't be ashamed of being called a christian.

If they are going to call you this, glorify God by not suffering as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evil doer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Count:  110
  • Birthday:  03/29/1961

There will be christians in the lake of fire.

What exactly is your definition of a christian?

It is a name non-believers called people who "claimed" to believe in Christ.

There will be christians in the lake of fire.

What exactly is your definition of a christian?

It is a name non-believers called people who "claimed" to believe in Christ.

You're a believer. What is "your" definition of a christian?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  122

Repentance is not a one-time event. Repentance is or at least, should be a continuous part of our lives, every day. We should live in an attitude of repentance.

Couldn't agree more on that. :thumbsup:

Count me in for a thumbs up on that one also! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Alright, guys, there's an issue that has bothered me for some time; maybe someone here can offer an insight...

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Here's the text of acts 2:38. Some people in here have suggested that the word "for" (Greek: eis) causes the sentence to mean "because your sins are already forgiven."

But if this is the case, then...at what point were they forgiven? I don't know, what do you think? As far as I can tell, up this point, the people did nothing and nothing happened to them. Given the broader teaching of the Bible, in both testaments, it seems strange to suggest that repentance should follow salvation.

Any takers? :o

We are told to, "Repent and be baptized FOR the remission of sins", not because of. In Romans 6 it gives us the outline of how baptism works in removing our sins. We are buried with Jesus in his death where our old man of sins is cut away, and we are raided up again in the newness of life. We are also told to have faith in that operation.

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

That operation is the one spoken of in Romans 6.

Many have said that water does not take our sins away. That is true. It is not the act of going down into the water it is the act of obeying the form in which God gives us to obey him.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

This is saying that baptism is not like as in taking a bath, but going down into the waters of baptism with the faith that my sins are being washed away because God commanded it is the answering of a good conscience toward God.

We see all over the bible where God has demanded some things from people that seem off the wall, but it isn't the act of the thing that was done, but the fact that God was looking for faith and obedience in doing what was told to do.

We know that grape juice and crackers don't give us spiritual life, but Jesus states that if we do not partake of the Lord's Supper we have no life in us. Do juice and crackers make us righteous? No, but our faith and obedience in taking of the LS to remember the death of Jesus is what does.

Just like the LS and many other things that God has required of man for obedience baptism is another one in a way that he has required man to obtain remission of his sins and to receive the HS. After that we can go to God in prayer each time we sin.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  1

Alright, guys, there's an issue that has bothered me for some time; maybe someone here can offer an insight...

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Here's the text of acts 2:38. Some people in here have suggested that the word "for" (Greek: eis) causes the sentence to mean "because your sins are already forgiven."

But if this is the case, then...at what point were they forgiven? I don't know, what do you think? As far as I can tell, up this point, the people did nothing and nothing happened to them. Given the broader teaching of the Bible, in both testaments, it seems strange to suggest that repentance should follow salvation.

We are told to, "Repent and be baptized FOR the remission of sins", not because of. In Romans 6 it gives us the outline of how baptism works in removing our sins. We are buried with Jesus in his death where our old man of sins is cut away, and we are raided up again in the newness of life. We are also told to have faith in that operation.

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Many have said that water does not take our sins away. That is true. It is not the act of going down into the water it is the act of obeying the form in which God gives us to obey him.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

This is saying that baptism is not like as in taking a bath, but going down into the waters of baptism with the faith that my sins are being washed away because God commanded it is the answering of a good conscience toward God.

We see all over the bible where God has demanded some things from people that seem off the wall, but it isn't the act of the thing that was done, but the fact that God was looking for faith and obedience in doing what was told to do.

We know that grape juice and crackers don't give us spiritual life, but Jesus states that if we do not partake of the Lord's Supper we have no life in us. Do juice and crackers make us righteous? No, but our faith and obedience in taking of the LS to remember the death of Jesus is what does.

Just like the LS and many other things that God has required of man for obedience baptism is another one in a way that he has required man to obtain remission of his sins and to receive the HS. After that we can go to God in prayer each time we sin.

Well said.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/01/1956

Glad to know some are left who understand.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

(2 Peter 3:15-16)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

that is excellent.... i have always wondered how people that think baptism is just "washing" so to speak feel about 1 peter 3:21 because i never get a straight answer....