Fez

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I have not commented on this thread - but I think the very basic concept of loving someone you don't like, is one that I have grappled with a lot in my Christian life. It is often very hard to like and find any common ground with some people, much less love them. I have had examples shown me in my life of people who exhibited love, compassion, acceptance and grace to those who were not (in my opinion) deserving of it. I think this is perhaps one of the commandments God has given us that is often the hardest to follow. There are people who, by their caustic behavior and vile comments, inspire the flesh in us, to feel dislike and loathing. I think that human emotion is normal - and...we are all human. The next step of praying for them and asking God to bless them and open their hearts and minds to Him is to me the difficult part. The resolution to love them as our Christian brothers and sisters is even harder ... but, no one ever said that obeying God was 'easy'. One of the greatest blessings I've ever received was forgiving and loving someone who was so 'un-likeable'. The act of loving them in my heart and spirit; and praying for them gave me a freedom I didn't think was possible. It provided me peace that I had not experienced for so long.

Matthew 22

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

Blessings!! :wub:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I agree, I have met and had to work along side of a woman that show her true colors as long as the pastor or (some) others is not in sight. I have heard comments and seen how she misuse her power of leadership to hurt others who are truly called to work in that ministry. I have stepped up to the plate many time to calm upset members and have spoken to her about how her actions are harming others. I also have been hurt by this person, and I can honestly say that I hold no hard feelings toward her. I don't like her ways, but I love her in Christ and will do all to make the ministry a success.

What motivate me is I know God sees everything and has dealt with her, but its up to her to receive from Him. I also know God has placed me and I'm not going to allow human issue to rob me from being a blessing. The greatest thing I know, is not to allow anyone to cause me to react as they do, because that hinger my relationship with God. Mama taught me well.. she would ask....if you act like the person who is sinning...who prayers is God going to hear?

Nope don't like her ways, but I love her in Christ :wub:

I wish I could be as nice as you, Joyful. :( Unfortunately, I'm a work in progess.....I still throw verbal grenades at those who make me mad; even when I don't want to.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Perhaps this is where we are passing each other in our understanding of what we mean. Is not loving someone we really don't like not a contradiction in terms?

Not, not really.

Let me explain...

As a child growing up I have a total of maybe 6 memories with my father, and that is because he was for the most part an absentee dad.

He worked long hours, sometimes being gone for a week at a time. As time went by he was gone more and more, he took an assignment that sent him to Peru for a month at a shot. When he was home, he was not home. HE was at the bowling alley, the pool hall or the bar.

My high school years I watched him mentally destroy my mother with his actions. Then all came to head my senior year when he left for good and left my mom a wonderful present, an STD.

I have not seen my father for almost 20 years; this is his doing, not mine.

I love my father, but I don

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I agree, I have met and had to work along side of a woman that show her true colors as long as the pastor or (some) others is not in sight. I have heard comments and seen how she misuse her power of leadership to hurt others who are truly called to work in that ministry. I have stepped up to the plate many time to calm upset members and have spoken to her about how her actions are harming others. I also have been hurt by this person, and I can honestly say that I hold no hard feelings toward her. I don't like her ways, but I love her in Christ and will do all to make the ministry a success.

What motivate me is I know God sees everything and has dealt with her, but its up to her to receive from Him. I also know God has placed me and I'm not going to allow human issue to rob me from being a blessing. The greatest thing I know, is not to allow anyone to cause me to react as they do, because that hinger my relationship with God. Mama taught me well.. she would ask....if you act like the person who is sinning...who prayers is God going to hear?

Nope don't like her ways, but I love her in Christ :wub:

I wish I could be as nice as you, Joyful. :( Unfortunately, I'm a work in progess.....I still throw verbal grenades at those who make me mad; even when I don't want to.

Its not being nice MG...its also not a strong point either. Where you release...I hold in and that can be just as bad. But to God be the glory...I don't hold on...just release it. I'm a work in progress too :wub:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have to ask God to help me love those I seemingly cannot: The child molester- I hope for their salvation. Murderer- I pray for their forgiveness. And there are others, I, of myself cannot love everyone. I see with a physical eye, so I must then allow God to love those who are unloveable through me.

Understanding, and compassion are the beginning.