• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

While working on chapter 8 of my dissertation ( on the Internet and islamic knowledge), I found a book by a European professor, that talks about an actual online mega-church. Not a physical church that happens to have a web site. Rather, I almost spat out my --ahem-- Ginger ale, when I saw that it is an actual online church that offers worship, baptism by immersion from the computer screen, and even holy communion from the comfort of your home. This isthe church.

I find this pretty revolutionary, and I wonder if this is going to be a new trend in Christianity. :noidea:

My own opinion of it is that if we forsake physical churches in favour of virtual ones, we are losing out on the full experience of walking with Christ which is about "loving your brother/sister", and our mission as disciples of Christ to live and walk in the world as a light to others and salt of the earth. Also I worry about the spread of false doctrines to people who are seeking...

I am very interested in all of your opinions on the matter.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Very mixed emotions..... there are some people who can't get out that it might be a blessing to. There may be people who would learn of the Lord and be saved, and it would be hard to put it down.

I think I'd have to know a lot more about the people who join it to make a judgment.

It would not be for me personally, but I've learned over the years that it's not right to impose my paradigm on others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.90
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

How can you be baptized over the internet? In you tub with a web cam? :noidea:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I would think that baptism is a hands on physical thing. As Otherone mentioned there are so many who cannot get out of their homes, those with many types of disabilities so an online congregation fits the bill pretty well. I personally join others around the world in a small congregation online, the teacher not only teaches to the physical congregation but to those online as well, theres a 'chat' room for those online to speak to one another and we are able to ask questions and get them answered. Some of us just don't have the option of getting out to a building.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Mixed feelings from me too. But I could not do without the fellowship of my church, home group, prayer meetings, mens breakfasts, courses, etc.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

I like the fellowship you get in a physical church but due to illness I am unable to go to one. For me the online fellowships give me a chance to mix with other believers that I would otherwise be cut off from. If it wasn't for the online fellowship, I go to, the only believers I would see from day to day are my husband and children so for me online fellowshipping is invaluable. I don't believe that the online churches and fellowships will ever replace physical churches and meetings but they are a good resource for those that are housebound, handicapped, live in isolated areas, etc.

Edited by Nyoka

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.90
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I would think that baptism is a hands on physical thing. As Otherone mentioned there are so many who cannot get out of their homes, those with many types of disabilities so an online congregation fits the bill pretty well. I personally join others around the world in a small congregation online, the teacher not only teaches to the physical congregation but to those online as well, theres a 'chat' room for those online to speak to one another and we are able to ask questions and get them answered. Some of us just don't have the option of getting out to a building.

So how do those who insist that baptism is required for salvation deal with this very issue?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

So how do those who insist that baptism is required for salvation deal with this very issue?

Parker, the Church of Christ that I grew up in until I was about 17 would find a way. Bath tubs, rivers swimming pools. I've witnessed a baptism in a therapy tub in a hospital where they used a hoist to get the person in the water and just lowered him under the water. There are almost always some way to accomplish it. i am aware of at least two people who died before we managed to get them dunked into the water and our elders informed me sadly that they could not enter heaven.

Well, at least the Mormons get baptized for the dead.

btw, I left the church of Christ over those two incidents. It just tore me up inside to think that God could do something like that. Spent about a hear and a half in total rebellion before I figured out that it was my church I detested instead of God. i am so lucky He is so patient with us or else he should have just killed me on the spot for some of the shenanigans i pulled during that time period.

I'm not familiar with this cyber chruch or how they do things, but since you asked, I really want to know myself. If you find out first let us know.

This is the only thing I can find on line:

BAPTISM I'd like to be baptized. Is this possible on-line through Alpha Church?

To be baptized on-line you will need two baptized Christians to stand beside you to witness and support your baptism event. E-mail Rev. Walker with your request for baptism and the names of your two witness/support persons. Rev. Walker will process your request and set up an on-line baptism service especially for you. Baptism is a Holy Sacrament of the church. You may want to learn more about the Sacrament of Baptism (and, Church Membership) before participating in this Holy ceremony. Alpha Church can set up a Baptism/Church Membership class for you to participate in prior to your Baptism. <A href="mailto:contact@alphachurch.org?subject=Baptism">E-mail Rev. Walker and let her know of your desire to be Baptized.

Edited by other one

.... i am aware of at least two people who died before we managed to get them dunked into the water and our elders informed me sadly that they could not enter heaven....

:emot-heartbeat:

>>>>>()<<<<<

Of Course

When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? Matthew 19:25

Jesus Saves

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26

Confess Him You See

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9

Though Some Say Do It My Way Stay Stay

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

Not Understanding Nor Teaching In His Name Alone Is Salvation Call Out Call Today Today

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

How can you be baptized over the internet? In you tub with a web cam? :noidea:

I was wondering the same thing.

Edited by stephk