• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Lack of skilled workers threatens recovery

On Wednesday August 25, 2010, 12:00 pm EDT

By Nick Zieminski

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Workers with specialized skills like electricians, carpenters and welders are in critically short supply in many large economies, a shortfall that marks another obstacle to the global economic recovery, a research paper by Manpower Inc concludes.

"It becomes a real choke-point in future economic growth," Manpower Chief Executive Jeff Joerres said. "We believe strongly this is really an issue in the labor market."

Read here

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I believe that this is being done by the unions in order to keep salaries high.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

This also could be the result of turning from a manufacturing country to a service country. Skilled workers were lost.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Even 30 years ago was difficult to get them. The skills are there but not the support is not there.

Blessings

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

A lot of this is because American youth were not interested in taking up these trades. My husband has tried to recruit several young people into these fields and has had little success. A lot of the problem is the "I want it now" culture that we live in. The young people do not want to put in the time it takes to be a journeyman and to get the proper training. Everyone wants to go into finance, marketing or psychology or whatever the career of the week is.

It depends on who you are and where you live but, yeah, basically Americans have moved away from the trades. My company is having a hard time hiring machinists. A journeyman machinist in Houston makes upwards of $35.00 per hour and still there are not that many under 40 who want to pursue this as a career path. :noidea:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

Oh the things I've heard coming out of my young families mouths. :taped:

Things lilke we were taught that blue collar is out, that we have to get an education and work white collar. On and on it goes, about "those" kind of jobs are beneath them, because they are going to be better than that.

I always just stare at them open mouthed. Most of the ones they hang out with are the exact same way. They are prideful and arrogant lately. I always ask them do you want a house? Your going to need a carpenter, plumber, electrician etc.... Do you want to drive a car? Your going to need a mechanic and body man. The same goes for almost every aspect of your life, if something breaks down we all need those skilled trades to keep us going. They just stare are me blankly....sigh...I give up, but my kids will NOT be raised to think the same way... :)

Bottom line, there would be no "white collar" without the skilled labor of the "blue collar" worker!!