IGNORED

The Mosque at Ground Zero & Freedom of Religion

rachel89

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that it is OK for people of all other religions to freely practice their religions

• Yes, I believe in freedom of religion because...
    • No, it is contrary to the Bible

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

In New York they have passed a law that Christians cannot pray around hospitals or clinics but muslims are allowed to block traffic for prayer in the public streets for 2 hours at a time!!

Can you post your sources for this?

I think it is dangerous territory to deny the building of the mosque because it is offensive. Many things that exist are offensive to others and yet allowed. Strip clubs and adult stores, for example. The denial of building permit was because of the building laws, wasn't it? Not because of some "offensive" rationale?

Christianity is offensive to those unsaved. If we want "offensive" to be a reason for denying the permit, be well prepared for that to come back and bite us on home turf. :taped:

Many of those buildings you cited are often denied building permits if it is close to schools etc. Cities have the right to refuse building permits to any business or religious group. Since no one is guaranteed the right to build whatever they want whereever they want, then I see nothing wrong with denying this mosque being built when it is so clearly offensive to most of the population.

I never said it was wrong to deny them a building permit based on the building code. I said (and stand by) that denying it on the basis of "offense" set up a standard I am not happy with.

Well, we're offended and we're hopping mad. In the interests of avoiding civil unrest it would be wise to not do this. Inflammatory actions are never a good idea and there are already whispers of groups who have vowed to bring it down if it goes up. It would be a smarter move to avoid trouble and build it somewhere else.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No one has brought up yet the issue of the Islamic practice of building a mosque over a site of victory as a declaration of triumph.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I think it is dangerous territory to deny the building of the mosque because it is offensive. Many things that exist are offensive to others and yet allowed. Strip clubs and adult stores, for example. The denial of building permit was because of the building laws, wasn't it? Not because of some "offensive" rationale?

Christianity is offensive to those unsaved. If we want "offensive" to be a reason for denying the permit, be well prepared for that to come back and bite us on home turf. :taped:

Many of those buildings you cited are often denied building permits if it is close to schools etc. Cities have the right to refuse building permits to any business or religious group. Since no one is guaranteed the right to build whatever they want whereever they want, then I see nothing wrong with denying this mosque being built when it is so clearly offensive to most of the population.

I never said it was wrong to deny them a building permit based on the building code. I said (and stand by) that denying it on the basis of "offense" set up a standard I am not happy with.

Well, we're offended and we're hopping mad. In the interests of avoiding civil unrest it would be wise to not do this. Inflammatory actions are never a good idea and there are already whispers of groups who have vowed to bring it down if it goes up. It would be a smarter move to avoid trouble and build it somewhere else.

I realise you are offended and mad... the muslims building the mosque at that location are being provactive, silly and insensitive. I just don't think they are good enough reasons to deny a building permit.

This sentiment that it would cause civil unrest concerns me, it seems like blame shifting. If civil unrest occurs, it won't be because the 'community centre' was built, but that those who opposed it did not vent their frustrations in a lawful manner. Muslims being insensitive doesn't excuse civil unrest.

I also do not want my rights influenced by the swinging tide of popular opinion and feeling, but by granting myself that insurance, I must also grant it to all, including the muslims.

What I'd like to see is some objective way to determine whether or not a building permit is granted, that doesn't reduce rights to the feeling of the people...

As suggested earlier, this is going to set up a standard which, while for the moment appeals, will become unpalatable when the shoe is on the other foot, and the general populace wants to use their displeasure / disapproval / thread of civil unrest to stop christians.

I realise this isn't a popular opinion in the states, so please don't flame me!

I realise you are offended and mad... the muslims building the mosque at that location are being provactive, silly and insensitive. I just don't think they are good enough reasons to deny a building permit.

This sentiment that it would cause civil unrest concerns me, it seems like blame shifting. If civil unrest occurs, it won't be because the 'community centre' was built, but that those who opposed it did not vent their frustrations in a lawful manner. Muslims being insensitive doesn't excuse civil unrest.

I also do not want my rights influenced by the swinging tide of popular opinion and feeling, but by granting myself that insurance, I must also grant it to all, including the muslims.

What I'd like to see is some objective way to determine whether or not a building permit is granted, that doesn't reduce rights to the feeling of the people...

As suggested earlier, this is going to set up a standard which, while for the moment appeals, will become unpalatable when the shoe is on the other foot, and the general populace wants to use their displeasure / disapproval / thread of civil unrest to stop christians.

You have a good point, candice, about the way public opinion is shifting. I don't believe 'rights' should be determined by controversy either. However, it's in everyone's best interests to NOT inflame emotions among the citizens that could result in calamity. We are not happy and now the anti-muslim sentiment has spread across this country to several more proposed mosque sites. Their alleged 'harmony' attempts are resulting in anything but.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

In New York they have passed a law that Christians cannot pray around hospitals or clinics but muslims are allowed to block traffic for prayer in the public streets for 2 hours at a time!!

Can you post your sources for this?

Man arrested for praying at a clinic

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/31/pub-chicago-man-charged-disorderly-conduct-praying-outside-planned-parenthood/

Youth Pastor Arrested in mall

http://www.worthynews.com/8953-youth-pastor-who-was-arrested-for-sharing-his-faith-vindicated

Islam mosque blocking traffic.

http://studygrowknowblog.com/2010/08/16/muslims-block-traffic-to-pray-in-new-york-city/

Also if you search Youtube you can find a lot on the Muslim prayers blocking traffic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

the muslims do not care what this country feels or wants. they have their own schudule to keep. they have a purpose to their madness and that is to take over our country from within, just like they are doing in europe and other parts of the world. this is my own opinion don't have facts to bse it on other than what i have heard in the news. so don't fuss at me. please.

they chose that site for a purpose to cause civil unrest against them. so when their new center is built and burned down or torn down they can blame americans for their intolerence of their beliefs and with a president supporting them everyone who opposes them will be in the wrong. like i said they don't a thought to how we feel or how many of their own people were killed on 9/11 they just want to rule the world.

as Christians we should be on our knees praying, of which i confess that i have not been doing enough of, that our Lord will have His will done in this matter, not ours.

i don't believe the mosque should be built or any kind of center but they do own the land they are going to use it for something. i hope we don't give them what they want, another excuse to cry oh woe is me all are against us sorry lol

:wub:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.90
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

That is already happening, sister.

Man arrested for praying at a clinic

http://www.foxnews.c...ned-parenthood/

This one is about a guy who refused to move away from a building in accordance with the law (which is a stupid law, but nevertheless...); this is not singling out Christians.

Youth Pastor Arrested in mall

http://www.worthynew...aith-vindicated

This case was overturned and set a good precedent for religious freedom.

Islam mosque blocking traffic.

http://studygrowknow...-new-york-city/

This story is a hoax and, if you had read all of it, you would see the retraction at the bottom of the article.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Why do people keep saying that the mosque is to be at ground zero?

Because it is in the footprint of the attacks.

The Mosque IS At Ground Zero!