• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm not assuming they were not, but we can't assume they were. That's all I'm saying.

You can't look at Ancient Israel through the lens of modern America.

Christianity is a part of our culture but not everyone is versed in the scriptures. The teachings of Mohammed are a part of our culture and I couldn't quote one verse out of the Qu'ran if my life depended on it. The God of Israel wasn't the only god worshipped at the time of Christ. And just to get things straight, I'm not saying any of the disciples were worshipping different gods. I'm just saying things back then were probably pretty much like they are today.

A Jew in Israel who did not follow Torah would not have lasted very long.

Remember how hard it was for the Jews to accept the Gentiles? And how much pressure they put on the Gentiles to eat kosher, follow Sabbath, and the like?

And you want to compare then and there to here and now?

If that passage from Deut. were followed, I doubt that Jesus would've attacked the religious leaders the way He did. But because He did go after the religious leaders, we can assume that that passage was not followed.

Jesus went after them because they taught the letter of the Law but did not follow the spirit of the Law.

Big difference!

They knew the words, just not how to correctly apply the meaning.

Jesus took the physical and made it spiritual. He took all of God's commendments and condensed them into two. What He brought to the table was something totally different. It wouldn't have mattered how well versed someone was with the scriptures prior to His coming because He changed everything upon His arrival. He didn't abolish the law, He just made it more accessible to everyone. People had to change their way of thinking. Even the religious leaders, as well versed as they were, had to look upon the Gospel in a totally different light.

Which supports what I was saying.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I believe the scripture warns against keeping the gospel to ourselves, I mean why are we saved in the first place, just so we can sit around and enjoy the benifits of salvation?

I think not, Somewhere a minister, or pastor, or even a friend voluntarily took the time to witness to us about the gospel, we should do no less.

As far as the experience and knowledge goes, Sin and salvation are a basic doctrine of scripture, that's the first thing we learn before we even come to Christ, so witnessing about this subject shouldn't be difficult.

As for me concerning question I'm asked, If I know the answer; I'll tell you, If I don't, I'll look it up, if I still don't know the answer, which does happen, then I'll simply say I don't know the answer.

Matt 5:14-16 (KJV)

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/25/1945

Okay! My ability to use books has been hampered by this silly disease and I reformatted my hard-drive to test a theoretical solution to a computer problem I and others have been delving into and you caught me... naked... so as to speak. It has also been better than fifteen years since I taught anyone concerned with Spiritual Maturity. Today I reinstalled my Bible Study Software and will begin digging for that answer. Fez, being South African is no excuse for being unkind! And there are at least a half a dozen better ways to phrase that statement that will not dishonor God.

I don't need your tears so do not even hit me there but so that you do not act stupid, I'm not as able as I once was and it might take me a bit of time to dig through my Books, don't handle them so well now, and sometimes... I can be wrong! But before ye take me hyde to the shed Clyde, give me a little time. I can often be found in my bunk after just an hour at my keyboard but I will either confess to having made an error or will give you the requested info in a few days.

• Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  382
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

Everything I believe and every rule I submit to is from scripture.

In the case of a Christian, it requires Absolute Faith and constant Bible Study. You should have a minimum of five years of constant Bible study and not a day less.

Got a verse for that?

Yeap!

And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. Luke 12:11-12

And

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

The Bottom Line

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119;11

:thumbsup: Amen!! FresnoJoe

• Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  382
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

I believe the scripture warns against keeping the gospel to ourselves, I mean why are we saved in the first place, just so we can sit around and enjoy the benifits of salvation?

I think not, Somewhere a minister, or pastor, or even a friend voluntarily took the time to witness to us about the gospel, we should do no less.

As far as the experience and knowledge goes, Sin and salvation are a basic doctrine of scripture, that's the first thing we learn before we even come to Christ, so witnessing about this subject shouldn't be difficult.

As for me concerning question I'm asked, If I know the answer; I'll tell you, If I don't, I'll look it up, if I still don't know the answer, which does happen, then I'll simply say I don't know the answer.

Matt 5:14-16 (KJV)

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

:thumbsup::emot-highfive:Amen!! Spiritman.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

The Great Commission is how the Lord has chosen for the saints to reach out to the lost in their generation or their lifetime. We are called upon by the Lord to preach and teach the gospel being the salvation message and those who are within hearing distance of the gospel message have a choice to say, "yes" or "no" to the gospel. <BR><BR><U>Galatians 6:14</U> But God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. The message being "Christ and him crucified" the preaching of the cross from being lost to being found as we have been translated from the kingdom darkness to the kingdom of light. <BR><BR>For I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one who believeth <U>Romans 1: 16,17</U> For it's the hearing of the gospel message that causes faith to arise in the hearts of the lost causng them to make a decision for Christ and that decision will be again "yes" or "no" to Christ. Those who say, yes shall be saved and those who reject Christ will not inherit all the splendor of living forever in the presence of my King. <BR><BR>As someone brought out in this thread that our "wisdom" does not come by man but it comes from God <U>1 Corinthians 1:18,21,23-25 &amp; 26-31</U> also in the book of <U>James 1:5</U> it tells us that if we lack wisdom that we "Can" come to God and he will give it liberally to us and it want be upbraideth but we have to believe God will honour his word and ask for it in faith, as you can't expect to recieve of God if we don't believe that he will give wisdom to us if we are in need of wisdom. We need to be waiting in faith looking and expecting wisdom to be given to you liberally and in a way that you can recognize whenever it comes. If he gave wisdom to Solomon being yet a boy whenever he had asked God just for the purpose of being able to rule his people. Solomon didn't really know how to be a good king being yet a boy himself had asked God for wisdom. Solomon had asked for wisdom as it was a righteous petition he put before the Lord and God did grant his petition giving to him wisdom so he could rule his people.It does not take five complete years to share the gospel message that "Christ died for the ungodly" for a child of God knows this message of salvation because he did it in our own lives. <BR><BR>The scripture in <U>2 Timothy 2:1-15</U> does not say, a person has to become a five year Bible scolar before sharing the gospel message to the lost or equipping the saints to do the work of the ministry. However, I do believe we are to study to show our ownselves to God a servant who is not ashamed having the favor of God. That approval that God gives is given to them that are obedient to the word and studies so that they want be ashamed when it comes their time to minister. To those who are not obedient and will not study the word will not have the favor or the approval of God because when it comes their time to minister they will not be prepared and the Lord cannot use them as a vessel of honour because of it. <BR><BR>The whole book of <U>2 Timothy</U> is an appeal to young Timothy for his faithfulness in serving God as he was called upon to be a pastor. Timothy had a lot of experience having learned from apostle Paul both from laboring in the Word and in the physical labor that had to be done in sailing from place to place. Timothy was taught the Word by his grandmother and his mother. The apostle Paul also taught Timothy being with him in his journey's and well equipped to be pastor of a church. If one has the call to preach the gospel should adhere to the instructions given in both <U>1 &amp; 2 Timothy</U> because they tell what should be done and taught in a pastorial role as all of it is the counsel of God and should be practiced so that we along with those who hears our gospel will be saved. Even those who don't hold a pastorial role should adhere to the things that are taught in both of these books. <BR><BR>In the OT there were those God used being yet a child and being young still in there youth. And none of them completed a five year plan.<U>2 Corinthians 2:1-11; 2:12-17; 3:1-6 emphasis vs. 6 </U>Who also hath made us "Able ministers of the "new testament" not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. <U>chapter 4:1</U> THEREFORE SEEING we have this "ministry," as we have received mercy, "We Faint Not"; as we have a "ministry" of glory, a "ministry" that has been tested and tried and has stood solid despite all the opposition to stamp it out as the word has withstood the test of time and remains as Chirst is the "ROCK OF ALL AGES". Having a "ministry" where we can have confidence in our God as he gave unto us the earnestnes of the Spirit so we would know as long as we live in our bodies we are apart from God but one day that will all change. <BR><BR>Finally, we have a "ministry" of sharing the gospel message so souls will be saved as they will be reconciled to God restored to a right relationship with him. This ministry does not need to be put off five years from now because this ministry is an urgent one that carries the message of eternal life as Christ came into the world to save sinners which is in the great commission. <BR><BR>Therefore if any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things are passed away behold all things are become new <U>2 cor. 5:17</U>. <U>2 cor. 5:18-20</U> And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the"ministry of reconciliation". To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them: and hath committed unto us the "word of reconciliation". Now then we are ambassadors for Christ as though he did beseech you by us: we pray ye in Christ's stead be ye "reconciled to God". <BR><BR>This is the Great Commission preaching, teaching, making disciple for Christ, baptizing in the name of the Father,the Son and the Holy Ghost as we are to do everything in Jesus name. But if our gospel be hid, it is hid <U>"to them that are lost". </U> <U>2 cor. 4:4</U> Our message is the preaching of the cross Christ and him crucified. There is simplicity in the gospel.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm talking about people in general.

And I'm talking what has been documented in history.

I'm talking about people in general.

And I'm talking what has been documented in history.

So it's documented that every single jew in Israel knew the scriptures? There wasn't one person, not one, that neglected the learning of the scriptures? I find that hard to believe.