Burqa ban in Australia on the cards

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The problem here is that it might be islam they are puttig prohibitive measures on now, but it will be the christian faith soon, and none of us want that.

Luke 12

4 "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

Thanks man. I am not afraid, I just wish we would be wise about those things that we support... knowing the knock back effect it can have later.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

It has the positive side for women to wear it. The amount of money the wife spends on make up would disappear. Tried to convince her but the only result is that she buys the more expensive brand.

Blessings

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

The silly part of this is that islam, oppressive as it is, does NOT require women to cover their faces, only their hair. They should be free to wear hijab, if they wish, but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places. They need to get outside their 7th century box and think like civilized people living in a modern society. We have had the same issues here, although they are very rare, where islamic women want to have a driver's license photo taken with their entire face covered. :rolleyes: Kinda defeats the purpose of an I.D. photo, huh?

Why is it unacceptable? Says who? :noidea:

They should be free to exercise their religion as much as they wish while not invading the privacy and freedom of others. I really don't mind that they completely cover up except in those very rare security settings.

They really don't need to get out of their "box" at all, they are free to do as they wish. The fact that they cover their faces really doesn't imply they aren't civilised people living in a modern society :blink: . This is an expression and practice of their faith which they are entitled to do.

The problem here is that it might be islam they are puttig prohibitive measures on now, but it will be the christian faith soon, and none of us want that.

I really hate the thought that people have to live up to our own expectations of 'civilised people living in a modern society' before we will grant them the right to practice and express their religion as they wish (within the normal safety framework). So what if they want to cover up?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with any of that. Their way of life is not compatible with civilzation. Unless you're talking a couple of millenia ago.

Not compatable with your version of civilisation perhaps, but they are quite entitled to live that way, regardless of whether we agree or not.

Sure they're entitled to live that way....as long as they live in their own backwater countries, I don't care. I don't want them skulking about in my own country with their identities known only to those in their household. How could they work? Drive? Serve on a jury? Go to the bank? Run for local office? That type of identity obscuring clothing is not compatible with modern life. Maybe you can do all of those things in Australia without revealing your face, I don't know, but I would be very surprised.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The silly part of this is that islam, oppressive as it is, does NOT require women to cover their faces, only their hair. They should be free to wear hijab, if they wish, but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places. They need to get outside their 7th century box and think like civilized people living in a modern society. We have had the same issues here, although they are very rare, where islamic women want to have a driver's license photo taken with their entire face covered. :rolleyes: Kinda defeats the purpose of an I.D. photo, huh?

They should be free to exercise their religion as much as they wish while not invading the privacy and freedom of others. I really don't mind that they completely cover up except in those very rare security settings.

They really don't need to get out of their "box" at all, they are free to do as they wish. The fact that they cover their faces really doesn't imply they aren't civilised people living in a modern society :blink: . This is an expression and practice of their faith which they are entitled to do.

I really hate the thought that people have to live up to our own expectations of 'civilised people living in a modern society' before we will grant them the right to practice and express their religion as they wish (within the normal safety framework). So what if they want to cover up?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with any of that. Their way of life is not compatible with civilzation. Unless you're talking a couple of millenia ago.

Not compatable with your version of civilisation perhaps, but they are quite entitled to live that way, regardless of whether we agree or not.

Sure they're entitled to live that way....as long as they live in their own backwater countries, I don't care. I don't want them skulking about in my own country with their identities known only to those in their household. How could they work? Drive? Serve on a jury? Go to the bank? Run for local office? That type of identity obscuring clothing is not compatible with modern life. Maybe you can do all of those things in Australia without revealing your face, I don't know, but I would be very surprised.

Is this really necessary?

I am quite fine with people wandering around without their identities being known in Australia. No one is obliged to show me their face or ID. Why should it bother me in the slightest???

They want to outright ban these cover-alls, not just for those occasions where security might be impeded, but simply outright ban them. This is so wrong... just wait til the shoe is on the other foot and there will be people screaming blue murder.

I also have no idea why you think it is not compatible with modern life, when they have been living quite peacably until now in Australia. Nothing has prompted this law change, so why persue it? Why attempt to invade civil liberties that can turn around and potentially work against you in the future, if the situation doesn't warrant it?

Their countries aren't as backwater as you think MG, and the fact that they are deceived into believing a lie is not enough for me to support the removal of their civil liberties... this war we are in is a spiritual battle and won't be won by forcing them to westernise.

They need to become Christians, not westerners.

Is this really necessary?

Absolutely. Afraid it's going to offend someone?

I am quite fine with people wandering around without their identities being known in Australia. No one is obliged to show me their face or ID. Why should it bother me in the slightest???

Are you serious?

They want to outright ban these cover-alls, not just for those occasions where security might be impeded, but simply outright ban them. This is so wrong... just wait til the shoe is on the other foot and there will be people screaming blue murder.

What do Christians wear that is not compatible with society?

I also have no idea why you think it is not compatible with modern life, when they have been living quite peacably until now in Australia. Nothing has prompted this law change, so why persue it? Why attempt to invade civil liberties that can turn around and potentially work against you in the future, if the situation doesn't warrant it?

Maybe someone is looking at the writing on the wall? Your comment hints at fear.

Their countries aren't as backwater as you think MG

Like, which one?

They need to become Christians, not westerners.

Well, that's something I can agree with.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,195
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Luke 12:2-3

2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.

NKJV

Although this is speaking of the thoughts and intents of the heart the book of James teaches outward actions of inward realities for truth to be of substance... using this reasoning I see MG's point more probable due to the increase of desire of proper judgment of crimes committed as for only the guilty being charged! Covered faces only prohibits that reality.... Love Steven

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I seem to remember a thread way back that discussed the banning of wearing the cross as adornment?

Ditto for me in South Africa. Except for special security reasons, it does not bother me at all...

I seem to remember a thread way back that discussed the banning of wearing the cross as adornment?

Ditto for me in South Africa. Except for special security reasons, it does not bother me at all...

I guess Americans are different; the only people we've ever known who covered their faces were criminals. Another problem presents itself and that is assimilation. How will muslim women become part of the society they live when they're behind a wall of facelessness? How many would want to make friends with one of them? I've seen muslim women here in Houston but NEVER one with her face covered. They only cover their hair and a few wear the long robes (although most do not.) Again, it is NOT a requirement of islam.

The cross thing? That was in France.

Luke 12

4 "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!

Thanks man. I am not afraid, I just wish we would be wise about those things that we support... knowing the knock back effect it can have later.

But you do sound afraid.

Why attempt to invade civil liberties that can turn around and potentially work against you in the future

What can christians lose? What do we have that is comparable to face coverings? What can they take away from us?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Luke 12

But you do sound afraid.

Why attempt to invade civil liberties that can turn around and potentially work against you in the future

What can christians lose? What do we have that is comparable to face coverings? What can they take away from us?

I don't detect any trace of fear. On the contrary, I see a valid argument.

What can they take away? The bible in schools? Prayer in just about any official place? The symbol of the cross? Public worship?