• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

So treating God like a tennis ball that we can knock back and forth across our theological tennis court is OK?

These natives may have have had warped perspective of God, but they sure knew how to treat Him with respect in a way that most Christians seem to have forgotten.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

So treating God like a tennis ball that we can knock back and forth across our theological tennis court is OK?

I'm not even sure what that means or what is even implied. :noidea:

Explain. :thumbsup:

I would have to add that even though God knew we would act this way that He still sent His Son to die for us and to be able to Love like that leaves us all missing the mark quite a bit. I'm actually struggling with that very thought this week. :wub:

peace,

Dave

Arguing about God.

It's the whole "Greek spirit" argument in a different skin.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Many churches are divided because humans cannot agree on such things as leader, money, politics and the Bible. However churches that are in our neighborough are dependent on the priest that runs them. Some of those priests are actively spreading the Word whilst others do not

Blessings

Then I venture to suggest that there is a problem with the congregations as a whole. Church is about a body of believers, not just one person. Our church is dynamic because of the leadership team which has a reputation for getting things done.

Our pastor has told us that he no longer leads us, he guides us. The Holy Spirit guides us.

There is a huge difference between that dynamism and "fat" Christians being fed? Money is also not a problem. We get regular updates on exactly where we are funding wise, and the spreadsheets and audit reports are put up on the big screen for all to see (not who tithes what, but the general state of finances).

We have enough funding to build our own building, but have decided to stay in our present venue, because we have more important things to do. Maybe in the future we might decide to build, but it would be for practical reasons only. The building is not the church, it is the roof over the "church".

We do not talk politics at all, except to pray for the leaders of our country, whoever they may be, or whatever they might be doing.

Arguing about God.

What constitutes arguing about God in the Chief's opinion? Is it the struggle between the false religions and the Truth? Or is he speaking about inter-Christian conflict where we struggle against and stand for sound Doctrine?

I'm still not sure I'm understanding. :noidea:

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

And so... just because Christians quarrel with each other we must already abolish churches?

Maybe Chief Joseph did not need a church, but every Christian does.

Actually, that's not the point.

Another quote of his is:

"We may quarrel with men about things on earth, but we never quarrel about the Great Spirit."

His point of frustration is not the "church", it was "the quarreling about God" that turned him off.

Which God?

From what I read online, even though his name came from missionaries, he had a spirit quest later on, which is not remotely Christian. I found nothing about him, despite being an admirable man, that showed that he was saved.

Ghandi had a similar reaction and quote. Thing is, we cant save anyone so really we cant lose anyone either. If someone is drawn to Jesus, it will be despite anything we do not because of it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

These natives may have have had warped perspective of God, but they sure knew how to treat Him with respect in a way that most Christians seem to have forgotten.

Is it ok to let false doctrines fill the church too? Sometimes you have to deal with things.

And I disagree that they treated Him with respect. You still seem to think that the great spirit of native americans is our God. It isnt.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Is it ok to let false doctrines fill the church too? Sometimes you have to deal with things.

And I disagree that they treated Him with respect. You still seem to think that the great spirit of native americans is our God. It isnt.

Which denomination is correct?

Arguing about God.

What constitutes arguing about God in the Chief's opinion? Is it the struggle between the false religions and the Truth? Or is he speaking about inter-Christian conflict where we struggle against and stand for sound Doctrine?

I'm still not sure I'm understanding. :noidea:

Peace,

Dave

Look at the example he gave.

Which denomination is correct?

Bless you bro,

Every "Christian" Denomination that I know of carries a Statement of Faith and in those Statements of Faith are the Doctrinal essences based upon Christian Orthodoxy. Most of them agree with the Apostles Creed. :thumbsup: On that we can all agree. However, we cannot agree on the fact that God is some disembodied undefined "Great Spirit" of the Age when His Word states otherwise. :wub:

peace,

dave