bigape

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Personal, devotional tongues is for everyone as I Cor. 14; Acts 2 shows.

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure I agree with your point here.

Pentecostals, with Scripture, believe whomsoever will may come to Christ and experience the gifts of the Spirit. Most do not move in all the gifts, but tongues is a basic gateway intended for all believers. Acts is a precedent. When the Spirit was given to the Church, tongues of fire were seen once since the Spirit was only given once. When the fulness of the Spirit is received (we all receive all of the person of the Spirit at conversion even if we are anti-charismatic), the initial, physical evidence is normatively tongues (you cannot see the invisible Spirit). This is for you, your children, those who are far off as prophesied by God. It is not limited to a super-spiritual elite. It is not limited to Pentecostals since there are charismatic elements/individuals in most denominations. The Pentecostal distinctive is intended for all without prejudice or partiality. Not everyone in our church has this, but we believe that if people will seek God, that anyone can and should have this dimension to enhance prayer/worship. Paul said to earnestly desire gifts, forbid not speaking in tongues, he spoke more than all of them, etc.

If you think it is only for some or that they have passed, this passivity and wrong view could be a hindrance from receiving something God intends for all believers. We all need self-edification and enhancement in our communication to God (the spirit is perfect and bypasses the limited intellect). We all need power to be a witness (Acts 1:8). This reception of the Spirit throughout Acts was evidenced by tongues (Acts 2:4), not to be confused with the Cor. list of gifts in the Church setting. I Cor. 14 talks about a personal and a public use. The former is for all, but the latter is for some. Carefully walking through the biblical evidence will lead to these conclusions in the mind of Pentecostals. Our desire is to be biblical in belief and practice, so be a Berean and test these things for yourself. There is no good reason why many in Pentecostal churches have the gift, while many in other churches against them don't, but our beliefs and faith are a factor. Early Pentecostals were kicked out of their stuffy churches and did not want to start a separate movement. For Southern Baptists to forbid their missionaries from speaking in tongues (gift from God) shows how far our churches have moved from the early church in belief and practice. Sound doctrine affects sound practice (orthodoxy; orthopraxy).

I know that this is what you believe, but I still don't see biblical evidence in here that ALL speak in private tongues, and I am a tongues speaker... it's not that I doubt God, I just don't agree with you here.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Fortunately, the God I worship is fluent in the English language. I don't suppose I'll ever need to supernaturally speak in another language ...and I'll certainly have no need for the gibberish that commonly passes as speaking in tongues nowadays.

I agree with the OP...tongues are possible because ALL things are possible with God. I just don't believe that God has ANY use for the daily use of speaking in tongues. Certainly not in any civilized country.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

Blessings,

i think we should let the Word of God interpret the Word of God:

1 Corinthians 14

1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

38But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

40Let all things be done decently and in order.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I would just like to know how many brothers and sisters who have posted on this topic have spoken in tongues? :)

I speak in tongues and it sounds like some foreign earthly language to me but not sure.It just happened one day.Never spoken aloud in church or felt compelled to do so.

I have posted on this before in another long tongues post.

It happened to me once. I was alone, on my bed, praying, and I started speaking in tongues. It went on for about 45 minutes almost non stop, and I can't remember taking a breath. if I was to say what it sounded like? Some sort of Chinese (and I was not trying to order take away people).

But the Holy Spirit was with me. When I was praying before speaking in tongues, I was in tears and I felt enormous joy. I was very much in the Spirit and I guess I just ran out of words to say to Jesus at the time...

I have not experienced that with other people about or at church. If I do, so be it, the Spirit will talk for me....

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Fortunately, the God I worship is fluent in the English language. . . . I just don't believe that God has ANY use for the daily use of speaking in tongues. Certainly not in any civilized country.

Who ever said the gift of tongues was for God's benefit?

This has got to be the most bizarre argument against tongues I have ever heard.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Fortunately, the God I worship is fluent in the English language. . . . I just don't believe that God has ANY use for the daily use of speaking in tongues. Certainly not in any civilized country.

Lol.... I don't see Axxman's comment as an argument of any sort, just a personal statement delivered with bullish overtones. :cool:

I don't see how it benefits anybody other than giving emotional humans some kind of emotional lift. I've asked God that if he wishes to provide me some kind of spiritual or emotional support I would prefer it done in my own language so that I know what the heck is going on, and can actually benefit from it.

BTW...everything in my life is for God's benefit. My life is for Him. If it doesn't benefit God, then it really has no place in my life...speaking unintelligbly included. It is ultimately bizarre to reason that in order to benefit His people God must bestow some weird alien babble upon them. That's truly bizarre...as always, in my opinion.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I wonder what other gifts people are so quick to reject? Let's take a look at what scripture tells us they are.

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

So, we have:

1. word of wisdom
  2. word of knowledge
  3. faith
  4. healing
  5. working of miracles
  6. prophecy
  7. discerning of spirits
  8. different kinds of tongues
  9. interpretation of tongues

Are we to decide who gets them, when they are given, when they start or when they end? Let me help you with that answer.

"But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills."

Now, which are you willing to say no longer exists? Which one of you are above His Spirit?

Lol.... I don't see Axxman's comment as an argument of any sort, just a personal statement delivered with bullish overtones. :cool:

Thank you. Thats all it was. A personal statement of opinion based on years of spiritual walk. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Thank you. Thats all it was. A personal statement of opinion based on years of spiritual walk. :thumbsup:

And sometimes driving a bulldozer :laugh: