ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

This is a real life Christian living question that came up today.

My favorite pakistani restaurant closed its doors (Im sulking) so we are looking for a new one. One in our area advertises itself as halel, meaning the food was done according to islamic dietary specifications. As in sacrificed/ blessed by imam. Im sure other pakistani places are too, but they are not advertised that way with a big neon sign. I personally feel too uncomfortable eating their food at this particular restaurant.

Question, scripturally, what is the correct course of action?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

It's is clear to me... meat offered to idols, don't eat there.

If you are really uncomfortable with the way they are advertising being halel, then I wouldn't eat there. The same would go if I had a friend who was uncomfortable with it also, in order not to be a stumbling block to a younger believer.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I agree with the others. (Though after recent events you may - reasonably - not trust my opinion. Sorry about that. :b:)

Anyway, I believe that if you feel uncomfortable with it, then it is the Spirit warning you not to do it & so would be a sin to you. Better to err on the side of caution, I'd say, and stay away.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Blessings Jade,

i agree with the other posters as for scripture besides the obvious do not eat meat sacrificed to idols

Romans 14 :

14.... but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

it is apparent that this is unlean to your spirit.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

Blessings Jade,

i agree with the other posters as for scripture besides the obvious do not eat meat sacrificed to idols

Romans 14 :

14.... but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

it is apparent that this is unlean to your spirit.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Well said! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Food is food, and some halal cooking, the curry for instance, is excellent. It is also cooked in clean conditions. I eat halal food with no problem.

But as always, I say grace over my food, and dedicate it to my body, as I dedicate myself to Jesus.

I have had experience shooting game (impala antelope) for sale to the halal market before, where an imam was on site. It is a business and a doctrine, and all they do is cut the throat of the animal before it dies. We could not shoot in the head and kill outright (another life people!). The imam was more interested in getting the night (sometimes 2am) over with and going to bed.... That long white dress thing he wore hooked up on every thorn tree he had to walk past, and sometimes with a good shot we were 50 to 100 yards from the vehicle at night.

At times, when there was a head shot and the animal was dead, (I have heard :whistling: ), of a much younger game ranger arranging for a staff member on the cull to stand behind the imam in the dark and shake the antelopes leg so that it looked alive....

Hey, the guys shooting were tired and wanted to go to bed too... :cool:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Food is food, and some halal cooking, the curry for instance, is excellent. It is also cooked in clean conditions. I eat halal food with no problem.

But as always, I say grace over my food, and dedicate it to my body, as I dedicate myself to Jesus.

I have had experience shooting game (impala antelope) for sale to the halal market before, where an imam was on site. It is a business and a doctrine, and all they do is cut the throat of the animal before it dies. We could not shoot in the head and kill outright (another life people!). The imam was more interested in getting the night (sometimes 2am) over with and going to bed.... That long white dress thing he wore hooked up on every thorn tree he had to walk past, and sometimes with a good shot we were 50 to 100 yards from the vehicle at night.

At times, when there was a head shot and the animal was dead, (I have heard :whistling: ), of a much younger game ranger arranging for a staff member on the cull to stand behind the imam in the dark and shake the antelopes leg so that it looked alive....

Hey, the guys shooting were tired and wanted to go to bed too... :cool:

Fez,

How do you reconcile that position with this?

1Co 10:28 But if anyone says to you, This is slain in sacrifice to idols, do not eat for the sake of him who showed it, and for conscience' sake; "for the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness of it";

1Co 10:28

if any man

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is a real life Christian living question that came up today.

My favorite pakistani restaurant closed its doors (Im sulking) so we are looking for a new one. One in our area advertises itself as halel, meaning the food was done according to islamic dietary specifications. As in sacrificed/ blessed by imam. Im sure other pakistani places are too, but they are not advertised that way with a big neon sign. I personally feel too uncomfortable eating their food at this particular restaurant.

Question, scripturally, what is the correct course of action?

Paraphrase - Paul recommended that if the host informs you the food was sacrificed to idols, don't eat it. But, if it is not mentioned, don't ask and eat.

So I would say that if it's advertised as being halel, don't go there.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I have come to believe that when my heart and conscience is convicted that something 'isn't right'.... I need to listen and pay attention. I do not enjoy middle eastern food, so it's not an issue for me. But, given the fact that their doctrine is so prevalent in the preparation of this food (as you describe), I would not enjoy it. As Fez says, any food that you pray grace over and dedicate yourself to serving Jesus - is also dedicated to the service of Christ. I'm sure that I've eaten plenty of food prepared by God-less heathens and been protected by asking God's Grace upon the food and upon me.