• Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

The Biblical Mandate for the True Man of God to

Contend for the Faith

Jude 3

by Cooper Abrams

*ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PREFACE

Today the men who stand behind the pulpits of Bible believing churches are under continuing attack from those who are offended at the preaching of the Word. I use the term, "preaching the Word," in its strictest sense meaning to uncompromisingly and boldly proclaim the "whole" counsel of the Word of God without error. It means to unwaveringly stand upon and defend God's infallible, inerrant Word and to reject all false doctrine and compromise in any form. Further, it means to rebuke and admonish those who hold false beliefs and with love and compassion teach them to turn from the error of their ways.

Biblical preaching is not popular today. In many churches it is not fashionable to preach messages that address sin, the coming judgment or the need of men to repent of their sins. Some have referred to this modern trend as the "Gospel of Niceness." The trend is that any teaching that is offensive to anyone or negative in content is to be shunned and preaching should always be positive in its message. The palate of many, in today's churches, is that old fashioned preaching of "#### fire and brimstone" is distasteful and unacceptable. It is unpopular to mention any particular sin, address the errors of cults and false teachers, or identify by name false teachers and ministries. Any reference to false beliefs other than a vague unspecified reference is considered taboo.

Many pastors have found their hands tied by this way of thinking and have succumbed to the pressure. For the sake of peace (so called) many preachers have turned their backs and looked in the other direction and let doctrinal error go unchallenged in their churches. A doctrinal emphasis in preaching is being abandoned for practical "how to" counseling messages. Instead of preaching messages which focus on doctrine the trend is to topical devotional messages.

The thought behind the tend is clearly stated by the popular radio preacher Chuck Swindoll who said, "When there is a grace-awakening ministry there is an absence of dogmatism and Bible-bashing....There is a spirit of openness." Note that Swindoll (who is a leading neo-evangelical) concludes that where grace is there is absence of "dogmatic" biblical teaching. This is a perfect example of false human reasoning which has provided the fertile ground for ecumenicalism. It has been the fertilizer that has fed the destructive doctrines of the Charismatic movement and it many off shoots such as the unbiblical Promises Keepers movement. Doctrinal error can never be blessed by God even when it is done in His name. God firmly condemned these "that work iniquity" and proclaims that He never knew them in spite of their great "wonders" (Matthew 7:13-29).

Many pulpits of modern America are better defined as stages where Sunday religious entertainment is performed. The music and message delivered is designed to make the congregation feel good rather than repent of sin and draw near to God. Today's Biblical preachers are pressed to buy into the "success" of "easy believism." Entertainment in church services has become the goal rather than repentance from sin and the life changing affects of true conversion.

On several occasions I have been in discussions with other preachers and I have stated a biblical stand on some point of doctrine. Surprisingly, I have been criticized for being too dogmatic and straightforward in my position. Some have suggested that I be less dogmatic and take a more moderate stand against false teaching and those who preach and practice doctrinal error. They have concluded that I should be less critical and more accommodating to those whose teachings are contrary to God's Word. The following is my personal and Scriptural response to those who would pressure me to abandon my calling from my Savior and God, to preach the Word and nothing but the Word.

Cooper P. Abrams, III,

The Biblical Mandate for the True Man of God to

Contend for the Faith

What is the Effect of False Doctrine and False Teachers?

The true believer in the pulpit or pew should be very sensitive to false doctrine and those that propagate it. With spiritual eyes directed by biblical discernment we need to understand that false teaching causes great harm and hurt to God's children and hinders the lost from coming to Christ.      God will not bless error. It is against His very nature to condone sin in any form and surely teaching false doctrine is gross sin. If the truth will set men free, then error will enslave them.

Jesus said it would be better to have a mill stone tied around ones neck and be cast into the depths of the sea than to offend one of His children (Matt 18:6). According to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible the word "offend" is means to "scandalize," to entrap, i.e. trip up (figuratively, stumble [transitively] or entice to sin, apostasy or displeasure): (make to) offend.

From the context of the verse we see that the "children" Jesus was referring to is all believers, and especially new converts. In verses 7 - 14, Jesus in strong terms condemns those who would cause new believers to stumble (the Greek meaning of the word "offend") in their faith and being lead astray by teaching false doctrine.

A pastor is entrusted with the souls of those God has called him to serve. If he is true to his calling he takes his calling very serious. He will be very straight forward in expressing the truths the Bible so plainly teaches. He will be jealous of each of those whom the Lord has called him to shepherd. Paul first expressed this calling in 2 Corinthians 11:2, when he said, "For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ." Paul wanted those to whom he lead to the Lord to be pure in their beliefs. Holding the truth without error is the basis of purity in one's life. Serious harm comes from false teaching and compromise causes the believer stumble in their faith. Boldness in preaching the truth comes from a deep desire to see Christians living free from error; thus walking in truth and harmony with the Lord. Preaching in both the Old and New Testaments is always done in boldness.

A pastor who loves God will refuse to be a part of this modern tend to try and compromise with the every "religious" whim that comes along. He understands there is no value in trying to compromise with those who water down the Scriptures to appease sinful men. This unwarranted concession has the effect of nullifying the Word of God and aids Satan in his work of trying to destroy the Word of God. The true biblical preacher is true to the One who called him and delivers the message of His Lord. He understands that he is an ambassador who represents Another. The message he delivers is not his own, but that of Almighty God who called him to preach. He is diligent in making absolutely sure that what he preaches and teaches is God's Word.

It helps to understand the seriousness of the problem when we understand what compromise is. Webster's Dictionary defines compromise as, "an adjustment in opposing principles, systems, etc. in which part of each is given up." (Webster's New World Dictionary).

Trying to compromise with all the factions of "Christianity" boils down to giving up of Biblical truth, for the sake of a supposed harmony. Surely every born-again Christian loves the truth which is God's Word. The believer should realize he can only be true to the Lord when he is true to His Lord's Word. To compromise the Scriptures means that we have to give up some truth and accept some error. The Lord warns that we should neither add to or take away for His Word. The power of God's Word is in its purity. If it is tainted by man it ceases to be the Word of God and becomes the word of man.

There is no middle road for God's ambassador. He is to faithfully and boldly proclaim God's Word to those to whom he is sent. He must faithfully stand in face of the ridicule and name calling. Recently, I received a severe scolding in some correspondence, by a "brother" who was quite offended at my taking a dogmatic stand on a clear teaching of the Bible. He called me intolerant, unloving, uncaring and ended by comparing me with Hitler and several modern Muslin dictators. What caused such a hostile response? I merely said that the Bible teaches the eternal security of the believer and to teach otherwise is false doctrine. Lest you wonder, my correspondence was very gracious, tactful and written with respect. Most of my reply was simply Scripture passages with very little comment. It was not how I replied, but its content that caused such an emotional response.

Any true man of God will make no apology for stating his biblical convictions in a strong, firm and bold manner. He is well aware that Christ loved us who are sinners and so we too must love those around us. It has been rightly said that we are to love the sinner, but hate his sin. No one can win the lost to the love of Christ who does not himself love souls.

However, the test of true love is not found expressed in emotional sentiments. True love is born in responsibility and caring. It is caring enough to always tell the truth. It is caring enough to bear the scorn of the ones we love in order to help them avoid the disasters that false teaching brings. It is caring enough to chance offending the unbeliever that he might be brought to the blessing of knowing the God's truth. Christ loved Israel enough, to preach the "Sermon on the Mount" knowing that the multitudes would reject his message and even reject Him. He cared enough for them and the world to preach the truth that frees men from the slavery of error. In this true love was demonstrated.

To love God is to love His Word. The true faithful child of God loves the Bible. He understands that false teaching takes away or adds to God's Word and understands God's warning against such.

"For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." (Revelation 22:18-19).

Satan's Plan

Satan's plan, which will end in a world church, seems to be greatly increasingly on all fronts in these latter years both in the saved church and among the cults. His plan is to do away with doctrine and to water down the Scriptures. In doing so he knows quite well he will make the truth void, keep believers from maturing and bringing glory to Christ, and cause many to never hear the truth and be saved.

Watering down the Word of God was the sin of the Laodicean Church. Many students of the Bible believe that we are now living the age of the Laodicean church (Rev. 3:14-22).      The Laodicean church was a church that was neither Hot or Cold. The Lord said He would spit this church out of His mouth. What was the problem that caused the Lord to speak so harshly to them? Basically the problem was compromise with the world. Jesus said they were naked and blind, in that they were a very tolerant and paid little attention to doctrine. John Walvood, of Dallas Theological Seminary, states in his book "The Revelation of Jesus Christ" (a commentary on Revelation), that:

"The indifference embodied in the term "lukewarm" in this passage seems to extend to their conviction respecting the central doctrines of the Christian faith, such as the necessity of the new birth and the need for a dramatic change in life and perspective required of a true Christian. If those who are shepherds of the flock never make clear the necessity of the new birth and do not proclaim accurately the depravity and sin of the human heart and the divine remedy provided alone in the salvation offered by the crucified Christ, one can hardly expect the church to be better than those who lead it" (page 95).

The Lord said they needed to repent of this sin. In Rev. 4:21 says "to Him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne." He clearly is talking to believers and is addressing reward. Overcoming means getting the victory over sin and error. He was rebuking them for compromise and being too contented with the material things of life.

Walvood further says, "The fact that they are rebuked and chastened is evidence that they are true children of God" (page 96). May I add, it was Christians who were watering down the doctrines to accommodate all who came their way. They were not "hot" on doctrine and or cold in evangelism. They had basically grown stale, content, and satisfied and were not contending for the Faith. Where the Faith is not defended and upheld it dies.

The Lord directs His pastor to lead his people to see the truth and to help them reject ALL error. A true pastor knows that false teaching keeps believers from receiving the blessing and rewards the Lord has promised. Because the pastor sees this tend today he understands his responsibility is to address it head on as did Christ. See Matt. 23:1-36. It is sad to say that the Laodicean Christians failed to see the end of the course they had chosen and the church as recorded by history as going into apostasy. They chose the road of compromise and it destroyed them. What truth they did have was lost. Clearly, the Lord is telling us we are to hold to ALL truth, without error, because to mix truth with error destroys the truth. If you corrupt truth then it is no longer truth, but a lie.

The Child of God is Instructed to Contend for the Faith

Jude exhorted those who had trusted Christ and been saved to "contend for the faith! "

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ" (Jude 3-4).

The word "faith" stands for the whole body of truth embodied in the Scripture. The word "contend," is the Greek word, "epagonizomai." It is a strong word, meaning that we are to contend about this thing as a combatant. The word "earnestly" is added to convey the intensive force of the preposition (Vines Expository Dict. of the N.T., pg 235).

We modern believers have no less a mandate than the early Christians. Please note that Jude characterized these men as "ungodly men who turned the grace of God into lasciviousness," which means wantonness or shameless conduct. He said they denied the Lord Jesus Christ. How can any believer and especially a pastor, not understand this clear truth and compromise with the false teachers of today. How can we see them as anything but what God says they are.....ungodly men. As Paul said in 2 Cor. 6:15-16, "And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? "

The Examples of Preaching in the New Testament

The true pastor follows the Word of God and patterns his preaching and ministry after the example God has given in His Word. Following are a few of the examples and instructions found in the New Testament which address preaching God's Word. We can learn much from following the example of Christ, John the Baptist and the disciples of the Lord.

John the Baptist

John the Baptist pointedly addressed the religious and unbelieving Pharisees in (Matt. 3:7). John was a godly man being directed by God and he shared no words in condemning the false leaders of his day.

"But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" (Matthew 3:7-8).

The Lord Jesus Christ

Christ also sharply and frankly preached addressing sin and the false "works for salvation" teachings of the religion leaders of Israel.

"Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagouges, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi" (Matthew 23:1-7).

In verses 13-29, 33, Christ Jesus over and over again calls them hypocrites, blind guides, fools and blind, and vipers. His speech was pointedly addressed to them because they held the position of leaders and lead people from the truth. I do not think anyone would accuse the Lord Jesus of being unloving. He in rebuking their false doctrine He revealed His great love for them. He told them the truth and explained they were wrong in their religious practices. He did so for two reasons. One, that they might come to the truth. Second, that he might warn the people of their sinful ways. Christ knew most of them would reject Him, yet He still suffered for their sins that they might come to the truth and be saved. That is how much He loved them and us.

I think it is significant that He, with deep compassion and love, tried to show them the truth. Yet, it is evident He knew they would reject it as do most people.

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" Matthew 23:37

The Book of Hebrews also addresses the fact that most times truth is rejected, error is embraced, and the messenger of truth is attacked. Speaking of those who held to the faith the writer of Hebrews says, "And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourging, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: "God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect" (Hebrews 11:36-40).

Least anyone misunderstand, Jesus was always compassionate in every case with the unsaved individual, no matter how gross was their sin. For example, He showed great compassion for the woman caught in the act of adultery, yet his dealing with the accusing crowd was pointed and sharp. (John 8:1-11). "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her" (John 8:7). The example of Christ and all those of the New Testament was to show compassion for the unsaved, but sharply rebuke false teachers and leaders who were leading the people astray. There is a clear distinction made in the Bible between how the lost individual and lost false religious leaders are to be viewed and treated.

The Apostle Paul

Paul in each of his Epistles addressed head on problems within and without the various churches to which he wrote.

ROMANS: He addresses the relationship of Law vs Grace. He condemned the "moralist," the influence of the Judaizers, those that who refused to believe the promises of God, those who condoned sin, and the Jew's refusal to accept Christ as their Messiah, the relationship of Christians in the church, in society, to the government, and to other believers. He exhorted them to imitate Christ and live sacrificial lives unto to the Lord.

In Romans 15:15, we can denote the tone of his preaching:

"Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God" (Romans 15:15). He states the reason in verse 16, "That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost."

CORINTHIANS: Paul in the beginning of the Epistle begs for unity. he says:

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. (1 Corinthians 1:10).

Paul was not calling for compromise for the sake of unity, but a unity in acceptance of the truth. There is true unity among God's chosen when they accept the Word of God and their is nothing but confusion when they do not.

He attacks gross immorality that was being practiced among them and even their failure to trust him as the minister of God. He does so in a very straight forward manner throughout the Epistle. Quite strikingly he expresses his feelings towards those that were leading this church astray saying, "But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we" (1 Corinthians 11:12). The word "cut off" is a strong word meaning: "accept" ; to exscind; figuratively, to frustrate: -cut down (off, out), hew down, hinder. (Strong's, #1581).

Note what preceded this statement: Paul said, "But though I be rude in speech, yet not in knowledge; but we have been thoroughly made manifest among you in all things" (2 Corinthians 11:6). They were accusing Paul of being "rude" in his preaching! This is the only place in the Bible this word is used. It is the word "idiotes" {id-ee-o'-tace}; and means a private person, i.e. (by implication) an ignoramus (compare "idiot"): -ignorant, rude, unlearned. (Strong's, #2399). They were calling Paul an ignoramus! Why? They called him that for preaching boldly the truth and standing uncompromisingly in the face of sin and error.

GALATIANS:   He writes, "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ, unto another gospel" (Gal. 1:6). Paul had been pressured to give in to false teaching, but he stood firm. "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ" (Galatians 1:10). It is clear that for him to preach error would have pleased men. But you see, the true preacher is a servant and messenger of the Lord. He is not called by men, but by the Holy Spirit and appointed to carry the Truth. (See Acts 20:28, I Cor. 12:28, Eph. 4:11). He says he is accountable unto Christ for his faithfulness and that of his congregation. (See Hebrews 13:17).

In verse 9 and 10, he twice says he desires these false teachers be "accursed." The Greek word is "anathema," meaning given over to destruction. He addressed the current issues of that church and made no bones about it. This is a strong as statement of condemnation as you could make.

I wonder how many of our modern churches would tolerate the Apostle Paul if he was to preach in our churches today. I am afraid he would be rejected today in much the same way as he was when he preached in New Testament times. But stop and think for a moment. Is he not in reality still preaching what God inspired him to preach as we read his Epistles from the pages of the New Testament? We must answer a resounding, yes! Sadly, things have not changed and God's message and messenger is still not in vogue with the religious lost of our day. In Chapter 2, Paul explains to the Galatians how that he had even rebuked Peter for his hypocrisy (Verse 13) in shunning the Gentiles. Paul addressed them as: "O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?" (Galatians 3:1) Paul in a straightforward manner he confronted the issues of false teaching that was plaguing this church and condemned those that were leading the church away from truth.

EPHESIANS: This Epistle was also to be delivered to all the churches in Asia Minor, he stressed doctrinal issues to be accepted and lived by these Gentile Christians. Further he exhorted them to turn from the pagan philosophies which in truth was doctrinal error. Today many pastors put great stock in the vain and corrupt philosophies of "Christian psychology" and counseling. God warns us to keep the Gospel pure based solely on the Word of God and to reject the corrupt philosophies of men.

In chapter 6: , He begs them to put on the whole armor of God that they be able to withstand the "wiles"  of the Devil, which included "spiritual wickedness in high places".

PHILIPPIANS: This was a church of people who were faithfully serving the Lord. Paul commends them for their devotion and sacrifice for the Lord. He also warns them of holding on to the truth mentioning that, "For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: (Philippians 3:18). Note that Paul states he warned them of these "enemies of the cross of Christ" often. In very unflattering terms, Paul says about them, "Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things" (Philippians 3:19).

Paul named two women in this church who were at odds with each other. "I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord" (Philippians 4:2). In other Epistles Paul named those who had opposed him and the Gospel. If a preacher follows the biblical example, as set forth in this passage, he has precedent to name those that cause trouble among God's people.

COLOSSIANS: Paul addresses agnosticism which was a doctrinal issue caused by the outside influence of the current philosophy of that day in Colosse. He warned them against their being "beguiled" by false doctrines and teachers of that time. (Col. 2:4). He was greatly concerned that, "That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words" (Colossians 2:2-4).

Paul warned them further saying, "Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshiping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God" (Colossians 2:18-19).

1 & 2 THESSALONIANS: Paul addresses the problem in this church of those who were falsely teaching that the Second Coming of Christ had already taken place, and who were leading this church astray. He makes some statements that to some may seem to be unkind about these false teachers, "Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tabulation to them that trouble you; And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day" (2 Thessalonians 1:6-10).

Paul urges them to, "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

He asked for them to pray for him. "Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith" (2 Thessalonians 3:2). Paul asked them to pray with him that he be unhindered in continuing to boldly preach God's Word in the face of the great opposition of the false teachers.

He gave them clear commandments concerning how the church was to respond to those who would not receive the Truth. "For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busy bodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing. And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother" (2 Thessalonians 3:11-15).

I & II TIMOTHY: In the beginning of I Timothy 1:3, Paul urges Timothy to command those there to stop teaching false doctrines, stating admonishment was from love and a pure heart.

"As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: from which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully" (1 Timothy 1:3-8).

Note that the reason Timothy was being told to remain at Ephesus was that he might "charge some that they teach no other doctrine". The word here is "paraggello" meaning to transmit a message, i.e. (by implication) to enjoin: -(give in) charge, (give) command(-ment), declare. (Strong's Concordance, 3853). It is clear the addressing and exposing of false doctrine was very important to Paul.

Here again, Paul calls them by name who were erring from the faith and teaching false doctrine. "Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme" (1 Timothy 1:20). He publicly and openly used strong language in saying he had delivered them over to Satan!

He told young Timothy that, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; (1 Timothy 4:1-2). He told Timothy, "If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, where unto thou hast attained" (1 Timothy 4:6). He instructed him to, "Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear" (1 Timothy 5:20).

Again Paul instructs how Timothy is to react to those who teach false doctrine: "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmising, Perverse disputing of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself" (1 Timothy 6:3-5).

In his second letter to Timothy Paul again urges him to be bold in his preaching. "Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 1:13). Called the "preachers commission," Paul commands Timothy to, "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also" (2 Timothy 2:2 ). Note what he says in verses 14-15:

"Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. From those that have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof; from these people turn away!" (2 Timothy 3:5).

Consider the pointedness of Paul's next statements. "For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith" (2 Timothy 3:6-8).

Concerning the Word of God Paul says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Note Paul 's charge to Timothy:

"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry" (2 Timothy 4:1-5).

Here too, Paul names those that were walking in error and causing division in the church. "And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;" (2 Timothy 2:17).

"For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica;" (2 Timothy 4:10).

"Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words" (2 Timothy 4:14-15).

TITUS: Paul instructs Titus that he must hold firmly to the trustworthy message he had been taught. He told Titus to hold to the truth so that he could encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. "For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision (Jews). They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching thing they ought not teach" (Titus 1:1-16).

Paul uses forceful language in stating that those who taught false doctrine mouths "must be stopped" (Verse 11). In Chapter 3:10, he instructed Titus, that after a person had been admonished twice and refused to turn from error.. he was to be rejected! This is the only place in the New Testament this word is used. "Reject" is the word: "paraiteomai. " It means to beg off, i.e. deprecate, decline, shun: -avoid, (make) excuse, entreat, refuse, reject. (Strong's Concordance, 3868).

HEBREWS: This Book addressed the current problem of the Jewish Christians from 64 to 68 AD. Among them were many who were leaving the truth of the faith, for idle worthless error. In strong terms the author warned them of abandoning the Faith, saying "it was a terrible thing to fall into the hands of an angry God" He refers to this letter as a, "word of exhortation" (Hebrews 13:22). To exhort means to "build up. "The writer was building them up in the faith by addressing the apathy and unfaithfulness of the Jewish Christians. Note what is said in Chapter 4:11-12,"Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, "lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Hebrews 4:11-12).

James the Pastor of the Jerusalem Church

JAMES: James the pastor of the church in Jerusalem addresses the early tend in the church to honor those who were well to do, who were gossips, who did not exercise faith, and etc. Note how he closes the Epistle; "Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins" (James 5:19-20).

The Apostle Peter

1 PETER: Peter encouraged believers to live for the Lord by ". . .gird up the lions of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ." He urged them to be holy even as God is holy in all they did (1 Pet. 1:13-16). He states that the purity of the soul came by "obeying the truth through the Spirit." There is no purifying of souls unless there is the truth of God preached and believed.

In Chapter 2, he compelled them to "desire the sincere milk of the word" ( 1 Pet. 2:2). He warns them to abstain from "fleshly lusts which war against the soul" (v11). In Chapter 4:11, Peter says, "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ. . " (1 Pet. 4:11).

Peter concluded the Epistle by warning, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world" (1 Pet. 5:8-9). The only hope for living for Christ and winning others is in being "steadfast in the faith."

2 PETER: Peter in the first Epistle urges them to live godly lives dedicated to the Lord, and in the second Epistle in no uncertain terms denounces the false teachers of their day ( 2 Peter 2:1-9).

Peter urged them to add to their virtue (moral uprightness) "knowledge." One of the most profound statements Peter makes is that many people will follow pernicious ways and the result of it is that the truth shall be evil spoken of! (2 Peter 2:1-3). This is the strong language Peter uses to describe these evil men who would speak evil of God's preachers who is true to his calling and preaches without compromise God's Word:

"But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, self willed, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceiving while they feast with you; Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children: Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; but was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbade the madness of the prophet. These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage. For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, the dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire" (2 Peter 2:10-22).

Peter urged all believers to stand fast in God's truth saying, "Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness" (2 Peter 3:17). He clearly taught that error will lead to unfaithfulness.

The Apostle John

John too warns against those in the church who professed Christ as Lord and remained in error and sin. He begged them to "try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world" (I John 4:1).

This means that there were people in the congregation who believed and taught false doctrine. Any preacher who does not firmly deal with error gives these unbelieving church members the opportunity to lead others in the church astray. 2 JOHN: In 2 John 7-10, the Apostle John warns of the coming of many deceivers and stresses we are not to even bid god speed to false teachers who do not hold to sound doctrine. He warns that to even bid them "God speed" is to be a partaker of their evil.

3 JOHN: In this little Epistle John with vigor denounces people in the church which are evil. (Verse 11). John like Paul names the man who was causing trouble in the church. In very revealing terms he refers to Diotrephes, as "one who loves to have the preeminence among the brethren." John openly accused this man in a position of leadership in the church of: (1) Refusing to receiving the Apostle John, (2) Making malicious statements against the apostles, (3) Refusing to receive missionaries, (4) Leading the church to kick out those that were missions minded.

J. Vernon McGee, said, "I am of the opinion he tried to keep his pastor under his thumb in order that he could preside. Diotrephes is a man who was self-opinionated. As I am saying all of this, I wonder if you recognize this fellow. In many churches today, there are men like Diotrephes, men who want to run the church" (II John, III John and Jude, Thru the Bible Books, Pasadena, CA, 1979, pages 54-55). Diotrephes, would not submit to the preaching of the Apostle John, and I am sure no other God called pastor either. He wanted to be the chief. (Ref. "A Translator's Handbook on the Letters of John," Haas De Jonge and Swellengrebel, United Bible Societies, 1972, page 154-155).

REVELATION: John in the book of Revelation records Christ's strong admonishment in each of the seven churches mentioned in Rev. 2 - 3.

To Ephesus: Rev. 2:2 "I know thy works, and thy labor, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil; and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars." The Church at Ephesus is commended by Christ for not being able to bear them which are evil, who are false apostles in the church. He calls them liars. What was their lie? They taught false doctrine in the church.

To Pergamum: Rev. 2:14, "But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which I hate."

Christ warned this church about letting in those who do not hold to strong doctrine. The reason is they cast a stumbling block before others in the church. The Nicolaitanes were a sect in the church, who are believed to have come from the teachings of Nicolas of Antioch (Acts 6:5) or another unidentified Nicolas. Basically he taught a "liberated" Christianity. The root of this philosophy was in the Nicolaitanes "hiring" themselves to do religious work for material gain. They wanted to control the people and establish a hierarchy in the churches. This "professionalized" the office of the pastor naturally lead to a watering down of doctrine to make Christianity more palatable to people. The root of the word comes from Greek nikao, meaning to conquer or overcome, and laos, which means people and is the word "laity" comes from. The two words together especially refers to the earliest form of what we call a priestly order or clergy which later on in church history divided people allowing for leadership other than those led by the Lord Jesus Christ. This philosophy led to the acceptance of the idea of a "universal" church grew into the Roman Catholic church. Their error was that Jesus Christ was dethroned as the Head of the church and His word as the sole authority for faith and practice. Church leaders became the authority and tradition based on church counsels and degrees by popes replaced

The point is that Christ named names and exposed error with strong warnings. Christ said that He hated their "deeds" false and misleading teachings (Rev. 2:6,15).

To Thyatira: Christ wrote concerning the "Jezebel" that this church was allowing to teach and seduce the members into spiritual adultery. Christ warns that He would soundly destroy her and her followers. Note that in verse 23, Christ commends some in the church for not holding to her false "doctrine."

To Sardis: Christ instructs to be "watchful," and says that a few had not "spoiled" their garments. Verse 3 says they are to hold fast the doctrine the had heard and repent from any turning from it.

To the Philadelphia: Christ warmly commends them because they had kept the Word of God and not denied His name. He also states there were others who were of the "synagogue of Satan" who were liars. Again, may I state that their lie was false doctrine.

To the Laodicea: Christ warned them about complacency towards letting the world influence them. They were compromisers of the Word of God, and their philosophy was "don't rock the boat."

What Does All This Many References to False Teaching and Teachers Mean?

The example of the writers of the New Testament, which is the Very Word of God, clearly is that we strongly address the issues and false teaching and teachers of our day, even as they did in their day. It is clear this we are commanded to do, and that God desired that these errors be exposed and that the children of God live in Truth, apart from error, which is sin. This is an important part of the matter. To embrace error is sin and causes one to lose the blessings of God.

The modern philosophy today is moving toward ecumenicalism, or of putting away of doctrinal differences, "so we can all work for the Lord and see folks saved." This is gross error! The work of the Lord from salvation to maturity is SOLELY based on Scripture which is doctrine. If a church believes, holds to, and teaches false teaching it limits Gods ability to bless in that area. It also denotes a serious flaw in their understanding of the Scriptures and being unable to correctly understand that each doctrine effects to some degree other areas of their teaching and ministry. God cannot bless error. A church that allows false doctrine to be preached can honestly be questioned in regard to whether it is a legitimate work of the Lord.

Of great importance in understanding the pastor's role and message is to understand that the messages in the Book of Revelation were addressed to the "angels" or messengers of the various churches. Christ addressed each church through its pastor! That is God's expressed plan in the Old and New Testaments.

All Error Must Be Rejected!

Another modern philosophy is to ignore the scriptural command to study the Word and to reject ALL error. The idea is that there are "lesser" teachings or doctrines, which are really not important. One popular Bible commentator often said, "We should not major on the minors." What he was saying was to preach only the major doctrines upon which most would agreed not mention the rest of Scripture. This false idea is certainly not in the Bible. Many stand in pulpits today are more gracious and tolerant of false doctrine than God. In this they elevate themselves above God, judging for themselves what is right and what is wrong. No preacher was ever called of God to represent his personal philosophy or "feelings" or intellectual conclusions about biblical matters. His mandate is to proclaim the whole counsel of the Word of God . . . nothing more or nothing less.

This puts an awesome, but not unfulfillable responsibility on the man who steps into the pulpit or teacher's podium and proceeds to speak for God. When he addresses God's children he best know of what he speaks and that takes a lifetime commitment to be a student of God's Word.

We are instructed to, "study to show ourselves approved, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, RIGHTLY dividing the word of God" (2 Tim. 2:15). Note that the strong emphasis of this verse is to study to be able to rightly divide the Word without error. Some have claimed that this passage is only addressing godly living meaning we should should "study" on how to live for the Lord. But I believe they miss the point. How can you "study" to live for the Lord and not know what "thus saith the Lord?" One can only rightly divide the word of God he knows it.

Paul defended himself against his critics this way: "I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness; but you are already doing that. I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him" (2 Cor. 11:1-2). Verse 11, further says that Paul did what he did, to literally "cut off" occasion or opportunity for those who teach error to cause the Corinthians to stumble and be lead astray.

In Titus 1:10-16, Paul addressed those in the church at Crete which were ignoring doctrine and allowing error to come into the church, "For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake." This is a major problem today many churches. Many preachers today compromise God's word for the sake of money (filthy lucre). They know that if the preached the whole counsel of God's word they would lose their financially profitable churches. Thus they have become the "hirelings" Jesus spoke of who will not protect the flock from the wolves. (John 10:12-13) Woe unto that man who compromises God's word and correspondingly his responsibility as God's preacher for money!

The ability to discernment between right and wrong is a direct result of knowing the Bible's principles. Because there is a lack of biblical preaching in many churches there also correspondingly is a lack of discernment that allows the false brethren an audience and opportunity to mislead.

Paul instructed young Titus to, as verse 13 says, "rebuke them "sharply", that they may be sound in the faith." In 2:15, he again says to "rebuke them with all authority. Let no man despise thee." In I Tim. 4:12, Paul commanded Timothy to devote himself to public reading of Scripture, preaching and to doctrine.

The apostle noted the importance of doctrine and in 2 John 9, stated "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the DOCTRINE of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the DOCTRINE of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

This Scripture clearly reveals that trusting Christ is accepting the doctrine of Christ and all the truth of Scripture. A redeemed sinner becomes a follower of God and is indwelled by the Holy Spirit. He has a new nature that is the nature of God. His new nature gives him the desire and need to follow the Lord. Jesus said that His sheep knew His voice and that they would not follow another.

As stated earlier John went on to say how the believer should treat the one who refused to receive the Word of God. In verse 10, "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed. For he that biddeth him God speed is a partaker of his evil deed" (2 John 10).

These and many other Scriptures gives God's pastor the Scriptural basis to name names of those who teach error, and direct him to be separated from them that they would not even by association, even innocently appear to support doctrinal error. Other references are 2 Thess. 3:6 "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teachings you received from us"(see verses 14 and 15) 2 Cor. 6:14, instructs, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers" (See I Tim. 6:3-5, Gal. 1:6-10).

Paul said expressively in Gal. 1:10, that he sought to please God and be the servant of Christ and not be a "man pleaser" or one who would allow error to go uncorrected so as to please men or not offend anyone.

You today cannot turn on the TV or even read a Newspaper without seeing something about modern Christianity. Most of what is said and presented as Christian is blatantly not biblical and subjects the lost world to many convincing false doctrines. 2 Cor. 11:14-15, says these false teachers appear even as "angels of light!" These false teachers look very good to a world ignorant of God's Word. These men are worse than medical "quacks" whose false practice causes physical harm. These men are the handy work of Satan himself in spreading religious lies and entrapping men's soul in d*amnable heresies.

How Are Believers to Feel About False Doctrine and Teachers?

The true pastor has a strong commitment to do as the Scriptures admonish him to do. He must teach God's truth which is the Holy Bible. You cannot preach the whole counsel of God's Word and not soundly, and sharply rebuke false teachings and teachers. What then should his attitude be toward error and those that promote it?

It should be understood that the Bible gives overwhelming evidence from Scripture that the man of God loves the truth and "hates" false teaching and rejects and rebukes those who perpetrate it. This is not different from the feelings of the Lord Jesus. It must be a pure hatred that stems from a deep love of truth and commitment to the Lord. Psalm 139:21-22 says, "I hate them, O Lord that hate thee. I hate them with a perfect hatred." It is not a hatred of the individual person, but of the lie that all false doctrine is.

Christ in Rev. 2:6, stated He "hated" the deeds of the Nicolaitanes which were false teachers. In the Old Testament, there are many references admonishing us to hate evil and false teachings. A few are: Prov. 6:16, 8:13, Isa. 61:8, Psa. 97:10, 101:3, 119:104, 113, 128, 163, Jer. 44:4, Amos 5:15, Zec. 8:17. In Ephesians 4:26, Paul says "be angry and sin not." This verses teach there is anger that is not sinful, however we are told that to let it continue is sin, inferring it could cause bitterness and lead to sin.

What is in the True Pastor's Heart?

Paul instructed Timothy to be an "example to the believers in word, in love." Assuredly every pastor must continually work on being the example God has called him to be. He must be careful that he does not become a causality of the battle he finds himself in and become bitter toward the world and those he is called to serve. God's man must prayerfully serve in love, lest he become over bearing and have an unloving spirit.

The faithful pastor will always pray that God would make him a better preacher, and more a useful tool. Every pastor prays that God would remove their rough edges and that they would become polished mature preachers of the Bible. In closing, it is the pastor's heart to stand and not compromise the Truth, or speak in deceit, immorally, in guile nor seek the approval of men rather than God ( I Thess. 2:1-12, Gal.1:9-10). He must not use flattery, or any means but the truth to bring men to repentance, and thus to salvation and then church membership.

The man of God has no other calling. He has no other course to take but to follow his Lord's command to, "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and DOCTRINE" (I Tim. 4:2). And to, "...commit to FAITHFUL men, who shall be able to teach others also" (II Tim. 2:2).

In conclusion may I urge each who take the time to read this article to do as the Bereans, to be noble and "received the Word of God with readiness of mind and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so" (Acts 17:11).

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hey bob,

Quite an article you got there. I am very thankful that the preacher that we now have at our church is a Bible teaching man and goes by what the Bible says and could care less what the world says. He says that it doesnt matter what you are I have to say or think about something, it only matters what God has to say about the subject. It is really a shame at how many churches nowadays just preach something to tickle your ears so it makes you feel ok about the way you are living. We need more preacher to stand up for the Word of God and not be ashamed to proclaim it.

RW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

RW,

That is so true. If everyone would strive to speak the word without shame, we wouldn't have as much apostacy floating around to deceive people.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  46

i come from a ultra conservative christian background...and got branded an "apostate" by my church for rejecting the doctrine of eternal punishment in ####....how is gods eternal love demonstrated in the dogma of eternal ####?  infinite punishment for finite crime does not seem like perfect justice too me...that is why i am an "apostate" because what if god loved us sooo much as too not lose one soul to ####..now thats a god worthy of praise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hi Humansoul,

Welcome to the forum board!!

I have a question for you. if you don't believe in ####, why should we bother to believe if we will get to heaven anyway?

Angels

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  88

It seems that mrhumansoul wants it all. All the sin you can have and heaven too. Imagine the crime rate and the evil if everyone believed in this philosophy!

I hope I never live to see the dark days ahead as I meet more and more people who hold to this apostacy.

I feel bad for Jesus. I can see him shedding a tear for these lost souls, because he loves them so much too.

I guess Satan continues to upstage God and pollute the minds of the younger generations as he holds true to his threat that he will seek the ruination of all Gods souls. The sad part is he does it by making himself and #### a Christian mass delusion.

Its not real the doubters say, there is no such place.

This is how sins abound and Satans will is done. He doesnt deny God or Christ! Why should he? He knows they are as real as him. Instead he  makes himself a delusion and takes souls through the back door.

He truly is the master of deception and the father of lies.

But he was cast out of Paradise, then Heaven and soon he will be cast out of earth and our lives for a thousand years and after a short while we will be rid of him forever.

For this Jesus came into the world. For this Jesus was bruised.

Jesus will soon crush his evil head and prevail forever as out Lord and King!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Biblical obedience is now labeled "legalism", marking error is labeled "judgementalism".

I had to leave the traditional church system, for one thing it doesn't follow the New Testament pattern for assembly, it's more like a coorporate structure. It is not easy to leave a lifetime of tradition behind. To actually call it "error".

Study your bibles and see if I am wrong. Look at your standard churches and compare to the scriptures. I saw it for several years until I could refuse the truth revealed in the Word no longer.

That's why Apostacy is growing.  Christians are in a "man-made" assembly system led by traditions instead of the Holy Spirit.

Do you see society being impacted at all? NO! You won't either I think, unless we follow what's there to follow.

ouch.... joed86...that really hurt you've already got me labeled as a anti-god satanic fiend, thats really harsh..i only want to know god and the truth , give me what ever labels you like,,maybe i should wear a helmet in case you start stoneing me... my only intention is to know the truth...so condem me for haveing faith enough to ask hard questions

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Matthew 25:46-26:1 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Eternal life or eternal punishment. Those are the two options.

(Edited by Timothy at 6:32 pm on Jan. 30, 2002)

you think eternal punishment, but then i read bible verses like mic. 7:18, jer.3:12, and psalm 30:5 and it says gods anger only lasts a moment........except when i compare with jer.17:4, mt 25:41 m.25:46 it says gods anger lasts forever...i dont know what to think