• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

I am trying to read in my Bible more often. (of course any reading is more often, because I haven't in years).

But in Matthew 10, starting with verse 34 it says this: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35: For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law'; 36: "And 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.' 37: "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worth of Me.

I understand about not putting anything above Jesus, but why would He turn them against us?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I always thought he was saying that by following Christ, you'll probably end up disagreeing (probably not a strong enough word) with your father/mother/sister/brother.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  965
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  05/28/1979

He didn't turn anyone against us. Humans have a choice to accept Him or not. If you're not for God, you are for the devil- simple as that. No one can serve 2 masters :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  965
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  05/28/1979

BTW- you are right about not putting anything before Him, as he goes on to say in the next verses...

Matthew 10

38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

In my opinion, it isnt that He is turning us against them, but rather that our belief in Him will turn others against us. In the US so far we have not had much persecution for our beliefs, but elsewhere, families are turning against each other because one believes in Jesus. People in darkness are either drawn to the light wanting it for themselves, or resent the light. Jesus came to bring people to God, not to make all politically correct happiness and harmony to everyone on earth. Yes, there should be peace within all of us Christians, and peace within the body of Christ, His church. But there will not be true peace between believer and unbeliever. (This is not to say that we are to be antagonistic towards unbelievers, only that they will be that way to us.) Elsewhere He states that we will be persecuted for our beliefs. That is a small price to pay for what we gain from that. We gain a relationship with our Lord. There is nothing better than that.

Guest Called

Hi Big Steve!

Our Christian commitment may seperate us from friends and loved ones. His presence demands a decision, we will either choose Christ or reject Him, but a decision will be made. Because some will follow Christ and some won't, conflict is going to arise. As we take up our cross and follow Him, our different values, goals and morals are going to set us apart from others. This doesn't mean we should neglect our family, but we must remember that our commitment to God should be our first priority. Some people are going to hate us for following Jesus and they may very well be living in our own household, but Jesus is trying to show us that we must be willing to forsake family, friends and even our own lives to follow Him. We must love Jesus more than any person or thing. ;)

God Bless!

Debbie ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Big Steve,

Glad you are reading your bible!

I was raised Seventh day Adventist. So when I got saved in 2001 I had to confront my SDA family and tell them that I was leaving the church of my youth, which they consider the only true church and that I had found Jesus and was going to follow Him.

It caused great division in my family. I was called, deceived, alienated to this day from them in a sense.

That is what Jesus is talking about. Up to the time that He came there were Jews and Gentiles. His coming required a decision to sell all and follow Him. It caused a lot of wars, martydom, persecution, no peace in the world because of religion.

Je rewards us for it. He is worth it!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

In the truth comes people who take it as a Lie. Jesus also said,

For I have come to turn

" 'a man against his father,

a daughter against her mother,

a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--

a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'

that meann't

a Son, Father, Mother sister, Mother-in-law Father-in-law, friends etc... will believe the truth when a Son or Father, Mother, sister, Mother-in-law or Father-in-law, friends etc... wont believe the truth, and that will make people angree with each other.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/12/1939

I agree with Avin Jade 100%.