IGNORED

Thanksgiving dinner with a catch....what think you?

RGR

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

A year and a half ago, the Lord decided our little church needed to host a food pantry. He picked myself and a sister from the church to head up His pantry.

We decided from the beginning that there would be no requirements to receive food packages. In all things we are called to do, we must glorify the Lord, so we greeted the guest in Christs name, passed out tracks, christian books and bibles. The pantry grew, attendance increased, money and food donations increased and the Lord even found a way for the food bank to donate food to us via a third party( the food bank in this area does not allow evangelism if they provide food).

The people attending the pantry were grateful, thanking us and the Lord and a few even praised His name. Then things slowly began to change. The people began to get demanding, they quit saying thank you, we no longer heard them praise His name. One Sunday in particular was the worst, several came with alcohol on their breath and one was literally falling down drunk, several quests took portions of the prepared food( we serve a meal along with the packages) to adult folks waiting for them in their car.

At this point the Lord showed me that we were now failing at our mission, that being that they should hear His word.

So, I had a meeting with the pastor. We now require the guests to attend a brief gospel presentation by our pastor before receiving the prepared meal and food packages...and we now allow them to literally shop for their food. It is set up for them to walk down 2 aisles and pick what items they want, the quantity only being limited by the number in their family.

I will tell you honestly that I was very nervous, myself forgetting that it was and is the Lords pantry, thinking that with the added requirement no one would show up. well , I was wrong.

The first Sunday 12 families showed up, pretty much the same as on the very first day we opened. The next Sunday, 17 people showed up, so now I'm back to worrying if we will have enough food in 3 or 4 months...I never learn, He always provides.

I will also ad that a number of the guest have told us they like the change, one even stated that "we need to hear this stuff". Every one of the brethren I spoke with approved of the decision; out of all the people I spoke with, only one voiced mild opposition.

In no way do I brag, but praise His Holy name, we started with nothing and we now have over one thousand dollars in the bank and so many food items we now are setting up a system to donate food to one of the government housing apartment buildings for the aged and disabled.

As yet, I have not seen a truly needy person refuse the gospel message.

I could go on and on with all the little things that have shown me that we are being obedient to our Lord in His ministry. I'm sure the church you were speaking of went through the same learning process we did.

It's not a catch really, but a double blessing, learning of a faithful loving God, who shed His own blood that you might have eternal life in glory.... and a free meal.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,939
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:thumbsup::emot-hug:

How's that working for them?

I know our church, along with other local churches, donates to the food pantry and our church will be doing it again this year for Thanksgiving to help those in need. It's not a requirement to my knowledge that you have to go to church somewhere to receive the help. It just bugs me to an extent that it's a "you have to attend our church to get help" thing.

As An Assembly Share The Thanksgiving Meal Together On Thanksgiving Day Along With Prayers And Love And Joy (What! No Football....)

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:46-47

And God Will Fill Their Fellowship As He Wills

If I was a starving unbeliever I would go.....

For all the wrong reasons, but I would probably go.

I agree with nebula.

Same here. I hate "sale tactics" like that out in the world. Can't see where it will work for a church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I received a letter in the mail yesterday from a local church in our area. The letter stated that I and my family had been chosen to receive a free Thanksgiving meal. I mean, I do okay on what I make but it can still be a struggle. My first thought was "how nice" and read on about how I'd receive a turkey, the stuffing, bag of potatoes, etc. This was all going to be provided free of charge. Our church donates to the local food pantry, as do several of the other churches in the vicinity. I'm guessing this church probably doesn't though (they are of a "we're the only ones that are right" persuasion)... I kept reading on.....

The catch? You have to attend Sunday morning service this coming Sunday at their church!!! I'm not really sure what to make of it. Obviously I'm not going to anywhere beside my home church so Thanksgiving dinner for free is out lol!!!

Okay, here's the thing. In one respect, perhaps they get someone to come to church who doesn't normally come and they get saved. On the other hand, if someone is needy (not that we are btw) would you absolutely refuse them food b/c they didn't come to your church? I would have worded it something along the lines of "we have free turkey and fixings for those in this area and if you don't have a church home, we'd appreciate you considering us."

So, again, what think ye?

i never liked the idea of giving people things in order to come/go to church. I am a very simple guy. Preach the word of God and they will come.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Wondering if you could bring a note from your own pastor (notarized, perhaps) stating that you had attended services at your regular church for the morning in question?

• Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

A year and a half ago, the Lord decided our little church needed to host a food pantry. He picked myself and a sister from the church to head up His pantry.

We decided from the beginning that there would be no requirements to receive food packages. In all things we are called to do, we must glorify the Lord, so we greeted the guest in Christs name, passed out tracks, christian books and bibles. The pantry grew, attendance increased, money and food donations increased and the Lord even found a way for the food bank to donate food to us via a third party( the food bank in this area does not allow evangelism if they provide food).

The people attending the pantry were grateful, thanking us and the Lord and a few even praised His name. Then things slowly began to change. The people began to get demanding, they quit saying thank you, we no longer heard them praise His name. One Sunday in particular was the worst, several came with alcohol on their breath and one was literally falling down drunk, several quests took portions of the prepared food( we serve a meal along with the packages) to adult folks waiting for them in their car.

At this point the Lord showed me that we were now failing at our mission, that being that they should hear His word.

So, I had a meeting with the pastor. We now require the guests to attend a brief gospel presentation by our pastor before receiving the prepared meal and food packages...and we now allow them to literally shop for their food. It is set up for them to walk down 2 aisles and pick what items they want, the quantity only being limited by the number in their family.

I will tell you honestly that I was very nervous, myself forgetting that it was and is the Lords pantry, thinking that with the added requirement no one would show up. well , I was wrong.

The first Sunday 12 families showed up, pretty much the same as on the very first day we opened. The next Sunday, 17 people showed up, so now I'm back to worrying if we will have enough food in 3 or 4 months...I never learn, He always provides.

I will also ad that a number of the guest have told us they like the change, one even stated that "we need to hear this stuff". Every one of the brethren I spoke with approved of the decision; out of all the people I spoke with, only one voiced mild opposition.

In no way do I brag, but praise His Holy name, we started with nothing and we now have over one thousand dollars in the bank and so many food items we now are setting up a system to donate food to one of the government housing apartment buildings for the aged and disabled.

I could go on and on with all the little things that have shown me that we are being obedient to our Lord in His ministry. I'm sure the church you were speaking of went through the same learning process we did.

It's not a catch really, but a double blessing, learning of a faithful loving God, who shed His own blood that you might have eternal life in glory.... and a free meal.

food for more than the the body! excellent idea!

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Greetings Hunterpoet,

Your whole message touch my heart, but this stood out to me!!

Well done and God bless. I believe thats the whole point, to let those who's truly in need to not only hear, but to see God and His Word in action. Its very hard for people thats homeless, in addiction or whatever horrible lot life has handed them, weather in their own making or not to grasp that God loves and hasn't forgotten them. For those of us that have a warm bed, food on our table etc, it may look like an approach to get new members and it may very well be, but on the other hand, this could be the turning point for someone, or a father and mothers prays answered concerning a need for food. This token could truly a ram in the bush!

Blessings..2J :wub:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hunter does make an interesting point.

Perhaps you can inquire of the church about why they have the requirement for the dinner, and explain how you don't want to miss your own church service.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

If you don't want to go to their church, don't go, and don't feel bad about your decision. It seems that they are trying to beef up their membership, and I don't see anything wrong with that (although I can understand feeling a little put out by their "ad campaign"). But if they "net" even one person to join their church, maybe it would be someone (like me) who hasn't chosen their home church yet, and that would be a good thing. But, if you choose not to go, it would be in the spirit of Thanksgiving to give some other family the coupon. :)