• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/20/1990

I give in to temptation more than I resist it.

When I try to live the holy, self-denying life that Jesus showed us It always comes crashing down like a ton of bricks when I'm hanging around with a non christian.

I believe, but I don't think I have any faith whatsoever.

I pray, but I'm impatient.

I dont practice what I preach.

I use bad language and I watch things I know I shouldn't be watching (you know what I mean).

--

In the past 4 years I dont think I've ever gone more than two weeks trying my absolute best to live like God wants me to.

I just don't know what to do.

Half of me wants to just accept that I'm going to hell and theres no point trying.

I don't like going to church because:

A) I can't sing and get embarrased trying to.

B) I'd rather be at home all day playing on my computer than go out and talk to real people.

C) I'm lazy and often stay up all night saturday.

But there is some hope. No matter where I go or what I do, I always know that I need Jesus more than a whale needs water.

Its like even though I take pleasure in sinning, somewhere deep inside is God telling me to get my act together.

Whats worse is, chances are someone will post a reply here that will really help me, I'll pray, think im a christian and tommorow I'll have forgotten.

I want to follow Jesus more than anything, but I'm afraid I'll backslide again.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Hi MightyIsTheLord,

If you will allow, may I make an observation? In your post, you referenced yourself 41 times and God 6 times. I understand that you are describing what you feel like and are going through, so it is about you, yet, I wonder if you focused more on Christ and not so much on yourself if your struggles would be won easier? Let me try and answer your questions.

You are human and when we humans give sin a foothold, we struggle. Often, the struggle ends in defeat because we are focusing on the sin and not on God.

Philippians 4:8 (New King James Version)

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hi Mighty -

It is sounding to me like you are under an oppression that goes beyond just not getting your act together.

I read a blog yesterday that what you shared reminded me of. I hope this addresses your need.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The field of poppies by Stephen Roach

The Field of Poppies

As you know, from the story, The Field of Poppies [in the Wizard of Oz] was a carpeted ground full of vibrant clusters of flowers. It says that the flowers were so brilliant in color that "they almost dazzled Dorothy's eyes." In the book, these poppies had such a powerful fragrance that anyone who breathed them in falls asleep. "If the sleeper is not carried away from the scent of the flowers, he sleeps on forever."

I felt the Lord whispered to me that these poppies were the distractions of the world, the temptations, the things that lull us to sleep and numb our spirits. There was something beautiful about them, but in the end, they caused Dorothy (the gift of God) to fall asleep and stop moving forward on the path toward her destiny. They were surrounded by poppies. They were everywhere, like billboard advertisements, magazines, cell phones, computers, neon lights on downtown shops, television, whatever it may be that lulls us to sleep; Whatever that is attractive yet overwhelms us and lures into spiritual apathy.

Dorothy gets out of the field of poppies by the help of of the Scarecrow and the Tin Man who were not affected by the scent of the flowers. However, the Lion who was too heavy for them to carry was left asleep in the field. They didn't know what to do to get him free from the trance of the flowers. The fascinating thing is that eventually, the Lion is rescued from the poppies by an army of field mice who with the help of the scarecrow and tin man, roll him "out of the poppy bed to the green fields, where he could breathe the sweet, fresh air again, instead of the poisonous scent of the flowers." I felt the Lord said to me that it only takes the small things, the tiny little efforts we make in moving toward Him to wake us from our spiritual slumber. It only takes little steps of faith, five minutes here, ten minutes there, a consistent movement toward the Lord, whatever we can give. The small things. when done consistently and wholeheartedly, create a strong force in our lives that free us from spiritual apathy and the lure of temptation.

I feel that for some of us, there is a renewed spiritual awakening taking place in our midst. Places in our hearts that have been subtly lured to sleep are being awakened again. It only takes one simple step here, one simple step there, but when combined, these things are powerful enough to move the sleeping lion from the field of poppies to the fields of green spoke about in Psalm 23. The Green pastures where we experience the presence of God again.

When we awaken from this slumber, we will again see the glory of God in our midst.

Luke 9:32 "But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory..."

Ephesians 5:14 "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."

1 Corinthians 15:34 "Awake to righteousness and do not sin..."

I pray the Lion of Judah be reawakened in our lives and the breath of the Lord overtake the influence of the prince of the power of the air. (Eph 2:2)

"So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit." John 20:21-22

One final insight. My father in law just returned from a trip to Brazil. He told me after I shared the above, that the Portuguese word for "more" is actually "mice". I laughed. But its true. The larger part of this renewed spiritual awakening in our hearts, is a renewed hunger for the Lord. A renewed desire for more of Him. When we hunger after the Lord, we will be lifted from our slumber and taken to the fields of His Presence again.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

When I try to live the holy, self-denying life that Jesus showed us It always comes crashing down like a ton of bricks when I'm hanging around with a non christian.

I use bad language and I watch things I know I shouldn't be watching (you know what I mean).

--

In the past 4 years I dont think I've ever gone more than two weeks trying my absolute best to live like God wants me to.

Half of me wants to just accept that I'm going to hell and theres no point trying.

B) I'd rather be at home all day playing on my computer than go out and talk to real people.

But there is some hope. No matter where I go or what I do, I always know that I need Jesus more than a whale needs water.

Its like even though I take pleasure in sinning, somewhere deep inside is God telling me to get my act together.

Whats worse is, chances are someone will post a reply here that will really help me, I'll pray, think im a christian and tommorow I'll have forgotten.

i can identify with much of what you are going through. i can promise you that if you don't let go of seeking God, you are going to be just fine. it sounds as if you have honestly looked inside yourself and know the kind of person you really are. it is what we have all had to do. it isn't pretty, is it? the good news is that God is really with you. what non-christians do you know that are able to be so honest about themselves without trying to justify their actions? my experience has been that there aren't any. only the Holy Spirit searches the heart and reveals the Truth. it seems to me that God is, right now, at work in you. (Ephesians 1 - to will and to work according to His good pleasure).

. . . Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I don't want to be the party-pooper here, but..

2 Corinthians 13:5 says, "Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith..."

You have to ask yourself if you have truly repented. Repentance is more than saying you're sorry - it is also a decision to turn away from sin. To hate what you used to love.

Will you stop sinning? No - not as long as you are in the flesh. But a Christian's life is not defined by sin. It is said that true believers fall into sin against their will, while false converts willfully dive right in.

Examine yourself carefully. If you feel you are not actually saved, repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus alone to save you - and not in your ability to obey.

And I cannot stress this enough: Speak with a Pastor about this issue. And PRAY. The Bible is clear that if you seek God, you will find Him. He is not willing for even one person to be lost. His mercy and grace abound...

Talk to Him.

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. - 2 Corinthians 9:8

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I struggle with some of the same things. I'll pray for you.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/20/1990

Edited by MightyIsTheLord

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

We all struggle with sin and even fall from time to time, but as wyguy said, scripture tells us to examine ourselves. Read 1John. Remember that Jesus told us that a tree is known by its fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. We can have a good set of morals, even a conviction of sin, and even an intellectual knowledge of scripture and a belief in Jesus. I have to examine myself a lot. And I often find myself in tears before God. But as I have grown, I just cannot tolerate or stand in sin without becoming utterly confused and miserable. A good indication of a saved person is that the Holy Spirit will work in them, and God will draw them back unto the narrow path. A lost person will only continue to stumble, and will never have victory over temptation in their life. We must examine ourselves and make sure we are saved.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

--

Probably God is telling you "to get my act together", as you say. Read the gospel message in your Bible and belieive it --John 3:16, 36; Rom. 3; I Jn. 5. Telling others about your failure to trust God won't get you salvation.

- Seriousseeker

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/24/1993

Love him as he loves you until this happens within your own life true knowledge of living by his word will get through to you to live by him

knowledge is nothing without love