• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

2 John, vv. 8-9(NAS)

Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.

Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.

First, I would like to open this topic by stating that I believe the Bible supports eternal security and the inability to lose salvation.

I am interested to see the exegetical viewpoints concerning this passage, especially concerning the "full reward" phrase and the v.9 mention of "abide in".

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Interpretation= grammar (Greek); context (whole epistle and I John); historical setting (1st century background); What did the passage mean to the original audience? What does it mean to us (apply principles)?

2 John deals with similar problems as I John, but of one particular house church.

2 John 7 refers to the deceivers who deny the incarnation of Christ. These are the first century heretics know as Docetists (believe in spirit, but downplay flesh; like modern Christian Scientists - Mary Baker Eddy).

F.F. Bruce

Guest Boron
Although I generally agree with godrulz, perhaps the definition of beliefs held by the apostates in the faith is recognizable by noting (vs 7), "........those who do not acknowldege Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest InHisLove

2 John, vv. 8-9(NAS)

Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.

Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.

First, I would like to open this topic by stating that I believe the Bible supports eternal security and the inability to lose salvation.

I believe that the bible teaches that abiding is required for salvation, and that our eternal security depends on our "enduring 'til the end"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Martyr,

Amen to your post, I believe too that my God is able to keep me until the end and that He will!

He saved me by grace and there is nothing I can do to add to my Salvation, He did it all for a poor sinner like me!

We serve a great and faithful God!

In Christ,Angels

Guest InHisLove

if we endure, we shall also reign with him;

if we deny him, he also will deny us;  if we are faithless, he remains faithful -- 2 Tim 2:12-13 (RSV)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Judas wasn't saved.  Neither were any of the other apostles until the Lord died and resurrected, then breathed the Spirit into them.

Guest InHisLove

Judas wasn't saved.  Neither were any of the other apostles until the Lord died and resurrected, then breathed the Spirit into them.

So then, when Jesus said ... And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."  Luke 7:50 (RSV) ... then you think that was this woman really was not saved either, even though Jesus said this to her.  This was obviously prior to the death and resurrection and Pentacost.  

And he believed the LORD; and he reckoned it to him as righteousness.   Gen 15:6 (RSV)

AND

"Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." Romans 4:3 (RSV) ... Jesus had not died yet at this point either, or been resurrected and breathed the Holy Spirit on Abraham when this happened ... wasn't Abraham "saved" at the point of his belief in God Almighty and what He would do regarding the sacrifice of Isaac?  I don't believe that "being saved" is a one-time event, but a continuous event in our lives.  If we endure, then we will reign.  Why else is this all over the bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Okay, I'll rephrase.