joed86

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My friend of 10 years has not spoken to me in 3 months.  We got into a debate about the christmas tree and it lead to her needing a "break" from me.  She feels it is pagan and she WILL NOT come to my house if i have one up, but it is ok for her to go to another firneds house who has a christmas tree.  It seems ever since she started having bible studies with the JW people she has harped on all these pagan things and all the things I should NOT be doing.  I have defended my self plenty times with all sorts of scripture but it failed.  

What can someone do when their friends are influenced but the cult!??!?!

GEL

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hi,

I know you are in a very diffecult position ..your friend

who is influenced by JW has to find out her self the the JW is a cult and that they are wrong. They have their own interpertation and that's where they stick by.

We had people come to our house last year ,they tried to get us to go to their meetings, they must have been here at least 10 evenings, we wanted to witness to them and they were very friendly,to make a end of the story, they do not really listen to you and want you to listen to them. All you can do is pray for your friends, that The Holy Spirit will give her a spirit of diserment. He is the only One who can convict her. (exemple in their bible John 1:1 it say In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and was a god, instead of In the beginning the Word and the word was with God

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,774
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Hello,

If I may throw in my paltry pennies into this conversation, there's several things you can do.

One go to Watchman Fellowship.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I once had a good friend growing up in my teens years, whose family were all jehovas witnesses.

My friend hated it and he used to tell me about the orgamization mistreated people and convinced families to give them everything they had, and so on.

They used to give me the creeps. After all the invitations his mom gave me to stay for dinner I never accepted one because I was so wierded out whenever I was around them.

• Content Count:  16

I have done enought studing on the JW to realize that they are a CULT and there interpretations are for the religion and not the people.  I have showed her many many many times where and what and when these doctrines that she belives in are WRONG and UNBIBLICAL.

She is not convinced.  You see if a person grows up interpreting scripture ONE way and with heavey influence, it is very hard for them to look at ehat the word of god is really saying.  I have been trying to convince her about the trinity for 10 years and that got me nowhere!

I guess i will have to wait to see if she will ever call me again.  This is so sad.  I know that God has his resons for seperating people with his word....i guess i should just trust HIM.

THanks

GEL

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hello GreenEyedLady,

It is sad to loose a friendship for what ever reason. But one thing is for sure and that is God is still in control and nothing catches Him off guard. It is hard to understand sometime why He does things like He does but He does them to bring honor and glory to Himself. Just keep praying for your friend and there is no telling what will happen because prayer is a powerful tool.

RW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

GreenEyedLady,

Don't give up. Even if she doesn't call you again, keep praying. Do not cease.

• 9 years later...

• Content Count:  10

My friend of 10 years has not spoken to me in 3 months.  We got into a debate about the christmas tree and it lead to her needing a "break" from me.  She feels it is pagan and she WILL NOT come to my house if i have one up, but it is ok for her to go to another firneds house who has a christmas tree.  It seems ever since she started having bible studies with the JW people she has harped on all these pagan things and all the things I should NOT be doing.  I have defended my self plenty times with all sorts of scripture but it failed.  

What can someone do when their friends are influenced but the cult!??!?!

GEL

"the" cult? Jesus himself is followed, so any of us who are religious are in a "cult". We're not in the "occult"; but I think, if you are interested in helping your friend -- and there is any trust between you, and not just a condescending relationship; there are only a couple of options. Cry, learn about the other religion so as to be able to enter into a meaningful dialog, find ways of respecting your friend even though her religion is changing, or just be frustrated.

If your friend is influenced by JW; it sounds to me like she is easily scared. JW's seem to capitalize on fear; fear of course, is the beginning of wisdom, but not its goal. We need to respect God in order to learn to love him.

I have a suggestion, though I will have to ask around to find out what issue of the "watchtower" magazine it was in; but JW's didn't always hold all the doctrines they have today. Probably one of the clearest examples is blood transfusion; I am pretty certain that I saw a watchtower magazine from say the 1940s to 60s or so which had an article approving of blood transfusion.

The issue with JW's is hard for me to understand, I've only had two or three even talk with me; ( I get blacklisted by mormons and JW's, and they stop coming to my house; I don't know why, they just don't answer my questions about their claims, even if I try really hard to be gentle.. ) But in any event, I do know that they practically swear by the Watchtower magazine as the Gospel truth; and although she didn't walk away from them immediately, one lady who was shown it did eventually leave them once she ordered her own copy from them directly (That's the best thing).

Unfortunately it was quite bitter to her, for they are an ostracizing community. Leaving them isn't as simple as having a change of heart -- entire families and friends disown them if they do.

I might suggest you consider doing a Google search on Blood Transfusion and JW's; because I am not sure I can find the issue number.

In just about every Christian denomination I have seen, there are mistakes in peoples beliefs; very rarely have I found a person who really took the time to try to understand the scriptures without being influenced by family, friends, and their own ignorance. All I am saying, is, be gentle. There is little that can be done to recover someone who says "I like pastor so and so, because he is soooo nice." -- only people open to listening and sharing can really be reached; so don't throw your pearls before "swine" you'll just become more miserable.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Er...you are replying to a thread that is 9 years old.....don't you think things might have moved on a bit since then, or are you trying to set some sort of record! :blink: Closed.