• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Yes unity in Love is very important, actions are a lasting testimony.

When I hear Christians running down other Christian churches and their teachings this stands as a testimony to unbelievers that there is no faith; but this is not true we do agree on most things and we disagree about minor things in my opinion.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

One of the last things Jesus prayed before His crucifixion was for the unity of His church. As I've engaged in discussions with people online over the years, it's clear that in many respects, Christians lack agreement on a variety of issues.

I remember a discussion with a non-believing member named Secondeve years ago that sticks with me today. In speaking with her about her position on Christianity, she stated that it was difficult to know what to believe in that it was obvious that Christians couldn't agree on many key issues themselves. I couldn't argue that point.

This leads to the question if we are to strive for the unity for which Christ prayed, how is that defined? What does the target look like? What is it that Jesus had in mind?

If it's the Apostles Creed then how do we address objections such as moral absolutes which are not mentioned in the Creed (this was one of Secondeve's objections)?

Forgive me for asking , but can you direct me to the scriptures which point out that the Lord prayed for the churches unity.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,338
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

One of the last things Jesus prayed before His crucifixion was for the unity of His church. As I've engaged in discussions with people online over the years, it's clear that in many respects, Christians lack agreement on a variety of issues.

I remember a discussion with a non-believing member named Secondeve years ago that sticks with me today. In speaking with her about her position on Christianity, she stated that it was difficult to know what to believe in that it was obvious that Christians couldn't agree on many key issues themselves. I couldn't argue that point.

This leads to the question if we are to strive for the unity for which Christ prayed, how is that defined? What does the target look like? What is it that Jesus had in mind?

If it's the Apostles Creed then how do we address objections such as moral absolutes which are not mentioned in the Creed (this was one of Secondeve's objections)?

Forgive me for asking , but can you direct me to the scriptures which point out that the Lord prayed for the churches unity.

Jn 17 all .... Love Steven

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Jn 17 all .... Love Steven

Joh 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

Joh 17:10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.

Joh 17:11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

Joh 17:12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Joh 17:13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

Joh 17:14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

Joh 17:15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.

Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Thanks Fez and Enobi.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

This leads to the question if we are to strive for the unity for which Christ prayed, how is that defined? - All Christians focused on Christ.

What does the target look like? - Christ.

What is it that Jesus had in mind? - For all people to be saved and conformed to His image.

If we would focus on Christ and not our man made designs we would find the unity Jesus sought in John 17.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This leads to the question if we are to strive for the unity for which Christ prayed, how is that defined? - All Christians focused on Christ.

What is it that Jesus had in mind? - For all people to be saved and conformed to His image.

If we would focus on Christ and not our man made designs we would find the unity Jesus sought in John 17.

Amen brother :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,338
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The furnace of sanctification 1Pet 1:7-8 :wub: I did it for no other reason than it was in His Word to do - despite all that may come against me in that doing.... Love Steven

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

This chapter says it all to me. We can have it all, but if we lack His love for others, we are nothing but noise created by our immaturity in Him. We are a work in progress.

1 Corinthians 13

The Greatest Gift

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Yes unity in Love is very important, actions are a lasting testimony.

When I hear Christians running down other Christian churches and their teachings this stands as a testimony to unbelievers that there is no faith; but this is not true we do agree on most things and we disagree about minor things in my opinion.

Love and Truth are the unity of the Church through the Spirit of God. The church stands even as God exisits. Many people don't know what a Christ is and the mechanics of how believing in this Christ crucified changes a person. The problem of division is that Satan is cunning and divides everyone through semantics of words, through differing long kept traditions, doctrinal issues and problematic interpretation of scripture, the truth is made more and more hard to see clearly, after thousands of years. Yet, no one sees Satan at work and the carnal mindedness of our divisiveness, thus there is a blindness to what spiritual battle even is. Also the simplicity of Christ is so simple most people can't see it. God is Love, do what love tells you to do, and be thankful to know Love. Trust Love and fear losing your Love. Perservere in Love. Love does the second commandment unless we distrust it out of fear of what it will cost us. Know whatever costs we will sacrifice, will be much worse for everybody if we stop believing and give up on love. Trust Love won't lead you astray even in the face of death, and if love is in your heart after this world's finished tearing you apart, you're forever. Definitely too many hooves of sheep muddying the waters and trampling the good pasture. The two commandments is all there is to the Truth. If one sees the true Image of God in the display of His Love at the cross, how can one not Love Him with all your heart mind and soul? His flesh and blood are food indeed.

Edited by childeye