• Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

FYI: Oxford dictionary adds pop culture acronyms

27/03/2011 9:00:00 PM

by Nevil Hunt

The Oxford English Dictionary has added hundreds of new words, from acronyms such as OMG, LOL, BFF, and IMHO...to pop-culture stalwarts such as "muffin top." It leaves some people asking, WTF?

Learning English is a tough row to hoe. Especially when people use idioms like tough row to hoe.

English dishes up grammar and spelling rules that have exceptions upon their exceptions. Even when you put the textbooks down, someone trying to become fluent has to deal with accents so diverse, they barely sound like we're speaking the same language.

Pity the New Canadians who have to make sense of us. Even if they arrive on our shores armed with years of English study behind them, they're bound to be shocked at all the nutty little words and sayings we throw at them from the moment they meet their first Canada Customs agent.

"A double-double with a Timbit and a serviette will cost you about a toonie. And later we'll take my beater out and drive a few klicks to pick up a two-four."

After hearing that load of gibberish, you couldn't blame someone for turning heel and heading for the departure lounge.

That's where a good dictionary comes in handy.

Every year, the brave folks who give us the Oxford English Dictionary, and its even handier cousin, the Oxford Canadian Dictionary, add real words, used by real people. And the editors know they'll get slammed by traditionalists for their annual additions.

Among this year's new entries are OMG and LOL, acronyms that Canadians new and old have to know if they're going to understand what's going on around them.

Oxford has made their dictionary a living, breathing book, which is good news for anyone using or learning English. The Oxford grows with our language. And of all the languages on Earth, English is the one that begs, borrows and steals like no other.

Purists might abhor the addition of OMG, but I think we need to be amenable while making allowances for adaptation. It's not that I want to be an agent provocateur, but every word in that last sentence starting with the letter A comes to our language from French. And so does the word purist.

When you were in grade school, the teacher told you to look up words you didn't know in the dictionary, and that lent a certain authority to the Oxford, Webster's or Collins you had to consult. Critics of new, slang-y words in the dictionary may have learned that lesson too well, and now put too much weight on the past.

It's a cop out to say that if the old ways were good enough then, they should be good enough now. Following that logic, English would have stagnated generations ago, and we'd still refer to fire as "Ouch!"

After all, you're probably OK with OK being included in the Oxford, but you can be sure that years ago, some traditionalists were upset when those two letters made the cut.

How do you feel about Oxford adding OMG? Does it make you LOL? Or is it TMI?

Newer to me does not always mean better.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

by Nevil Hunt

The Oxford English Dictionary has added hundreds of new words, from acronyms such as OMG, LOL, BFF, and IMHO...to pop-culture stalwarts such as "muffin top." It leaves some people asking, WTF?

Learning English is a tough row to hoe. Especially when people use idioms like tough row to hoe.

English dishes up grammar and spelling rules that have exceptions upon their exceptions. Even when you put the textbooks down, someone trying to become fluent has to deal with accents so diverse, they barely sound like we're speaking the same language.

Pity the New Canadians who have to make sense of us. Even if they arrive on our shores armed with years of English study behind them, they're bound to be shocked at all the nutty little words and sayings we throw at them from the moment they meet their first Canada Customs agent.

"A double-double with a Timbit and a serviette will cost you about a toonie. And later we'll take my beater out and drive a few klicks to pick up a two-four."

After hearing that load of gibberish, you couldn't blame someone for turning heel and heading for the departure lounge.

Every year, the brave folks who give us the Oxford English Dictionary, and its even handier cousin, the Oxford Canadian Dictionary, add real words, used by real people. And the editors know they'll get slammed by traditionalists for their annual additions.

Among this year's new entries are OMG and LOL, acronyms that Canadians new and old have to know if they're going to understand what's going on around them.

Oxford has made their dictionary a living, breathing book, which is good news for anyone using or learning English. The Oxford grows with our language. And of all the languages on Earth, English is the one that begs, borrows and steals like no other.

Purists might abhor the addition of OMG, but I think we need to be amenable while making allowances for adaptation. It's not that I want to be an agent provocateur, but every word in that last sentence starting with the letter A comes to our language from French. And so does the word purist.

When you were in grade school, the teacher told you to look up words you didn't know in the dictionary, and that lent a certain authority to the Oxford, Webster's or Collins you had to consult. Critics of new, slang-y words in the dictionary may have learned that lesson too well, and now put too much weight on the past.

It's a cop out to say that if the old ways were good enough then, they should be good enough now. Following that logic, English would have stagnated generations ago, and we'd still refer to fire as "Ouch!"

After all, you're probably OK with OK being included in the Oxford, but you can be sure that years ago, some traditionalists were upset when those two letters made the cut.

These people have TMTOTHs, Littlelambs. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

by Nevil Hunt

I could not have said it better IMO -YAR.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

OK...what is "muffin top"? :huh:

And, I have no idea what "A double-double with a Timbit and a serviette will cost you about a toonie. And later we'll take my beater out and drive a few klicks to pick up a two-four" means!

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

by Nevil Hunt

I could not have said it better IMO -YAR.

:laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  163
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Agreed!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

as i put in on my Facebook page, blasphemy and MSG language are now official language... sigh.