IGNORED

How can God be both 'Jealous' and 'Sinless'?

luke22ministries

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1974

Oprah bailed out of traditional Christian faith because she had a hard time with the fact that scripture talked about God being 'Jealous'. If God is in fact Jealous, isnt that sin? How could we be commanded to put aside the very thing that scripture says about God? Before every matrue Christian breaks fingers to hit 'reply' or 'rebuke'...I am simply saying that many non-believers and new believers hear someone like Oprah and say "Yeah...thats a good question!". Paul reminds us that when we were a child, we thought and acted as a child. When you were young and your mom and dad told you something, the first question you tend to ask is..."why".

My answer? There is quite a difference between being jealous 'of' and being jealous 'for'. If you are married and your spouse develops and unhealthy friendship with someone of the opposite sex, does that trouble you? They swore a promise to put you above all other mortal human beings.

In my article below, we examine the quesiton of how God can be jealous and sinless at the same time. Again, the link is free and safe and the conversation is honoring to the lord.

http://www.examiner.com/christianity-in-west-palm-beach/dear-terrifed-one-fear-the-lord-and-jealousy-god-s-heart-for-you

For those who struggle with this question, please post. For mature believers who have scripture and thoughts to add, please post what you think. My posts are always aimed to help new believers have a greater understanding of God's love, mercy, grace and desire for life.

Edited by luke22ministries

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Oprah was bringing God down to her human understanding. God also commanded the death of whole cities, yet murder is a sin. What God does, He does righteously, even if we don't understand it. God cannot be compared to humanity.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/24/1993

[Matthew 15:21-28]

21Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

:emot-heartbeat:

I love Matthew 15:28 "Great is thy faith". Sometimes, when faced with questions you cannot answer, the only answer is to take it on faith. This was one of the points I was making in the article. Through the blood of his son and his love, he united us with him through faith

[Matthew 15:21-28]

21Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

:emot-heartbeat:

True. I agree. That is one of the hardest things to explain to 'fence sitters'. Some of these questions vex them to the point of turning away from faith. I've found in biblical scripture that God's jealousy is righteous by the standard that he set. It is a jealousy for us..and born from love and not of us and born from envy. Do you agree?

Oprah was bringing God down to her human understanding. God also commanded the death of whole cities, yet murder is a sin. What God does, He does righteously, even if we don't understand it. God cannot be compared to humanity.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Where does it tell us that it's a sin in the first place

True. I agree. That is one of the hardest things to explain to 'fence sitters'. Some of these questions vex them to the point of turning away from faith. I've found in biblical scripture that God's jealousy is righteous by the standard that he set. It is a jealousy for us..and born from love and not of us and born from envy. Do you agree?

Worldly jealousy is born from more then just envy, but the premise I agree with.

Good question. Keep in mind, I don't argue that God is NOT sinless.

Galatians 5:19-21 says this "Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God". This is one of the 32 references to jealousy and sin in the bible.

There is no doubt, I think, that jealousy leads to envy. However, Jealous of and jealous for I think are very different. Again, every reference that I can find to jealousy and sin in the bible talks about the heart BEHIND the jealousy more than the act.

Thank you for the awesome question!

Where does it tell us that it's a sin in the first place

Can you explain what I place in bold. To me, it sounds like you are saying that God may of sinned. Am I reading that right?

I am sorry. Great catch. No. That was quite a typo. I was saying that God is sinless...and God is NOT sinning through jealousy. I should edit my reponse. My fingers moved faster than my brain! :)

Can you explain what I place in bold. To me, it sounds like you are saying that God may of sinned. Am I reading that right?

Edited by luke22ministries