Smalcald

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Sex is much more prevalent in this time then in any other. It can be found anywhere, from kids cartoons and toys to adult fantasies. One would have to be both blind and deaf in order to not tempted by what is in every magazine, TV show, movie, music, billboards ... etc. It is everywhere.

Is celibacy shameful? No, but the idea is laughed at by today's society. It is a high calling that not everyone can undertake. Even Paul recognized that we are designed to reproduce and called on them to marry if they can not refrain.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  2

I've been celibate for decades. Why ? Cause I'm not married. I have to be sooo in love in order to even let a man touch me. I don't date unless I'm severely attracted to a guy. And believe me, those kind of men are few and far between.

I have absolutely no problelm with abstaining from premarital sex. Why ? Cause God gave me the ability to do so. I can do no good apart from Him. ;)

Alright. Who took my giant string collection ? :foot-stomp:

Guest ladyvenus

We don't talk about Celibacy very much anymore but the reality is that all Christians are called to Celibacy. WHAAT! you may say we are not Catholics we are not monastics.....so true, but every person called to follow Christ will have large periods of their life where they must learn to practice celibacy successfully. What are those periods? Well the time prior to marriage, the average marriage age today is 28, this is a long time, those who are divorce and not remarried must practice celibacy, those who are widowed and not remarried must practice celibacy, those who are married must practice celibacy when their husband or wife is unwilling or unable to have sexual relations. So this is not a small topic and I think we should talk about how to do it successfully.

very well said

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

One problem is our society is so sexed-obsessed, we are provoked into it. To really combat this, people have to give up a lot of their favorite entertainment to keep from seeing sex all the time.

I think that is a great point. wyguy is correct also about almost anything can become a trigger. But feeding that trigger once you realize that it is there is asking for trouble or at least a lot of hardship.

The principle of modesty for men is an interesting one. For me practicing how I think has been helping; what thoughts do I focus on and what thoughts do I let go of. Boy it is a daily issue though but also I find it is very freeing.

Chastity goes with celibacy and really gets more at the heart of this, living chastely is something that all Christians can practice regardless of if they are in a marriage or not.

One of the issues I confront with the abstinence until marriage movement is the idea that if you just wait until marriage you will then enter into a sexual wonderland of constant access to sex. so the issue of celibacy and chaste living only need to be thought about until you are married.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Celibacy..... I think we should talk about how to do it successfully.

For me....I carry a picture of my ex mother in law in my wallet. scared-8550.gif

:24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

You are confusing vows of Celibacy with vows of CHASTITY. The two are not synonymous. As one Jesuit professor put it: "Celibacy is easy; chastity is a b***h!"

I don't blame folks for being confused today: Even 'authritative' sources like dictionaries are beginning to think celibacy and chastity or synonymous. They are NOT. Celibacy means NOT BEING MARRIED. Chastity means staying free from sexual sin.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

You are confusing vows of Celibacy with vows of CHASTITY. The two are not synonymous. As one Jesuit professor put it: "Celibacy is easy; chastity is a b***h!"

I don't blame folks for being confused today: Even 'authritative' sources like dictionaries are beginning to think celibacy and chastity or synonymous. They are NOT. Celibacy means NOT BEING MARRIED. Chastity means staying free from sexual sin.

For a Christian, these two should go hand in hand.

• Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Yes. Chastity within marriage however, is different than chastity in the celibate state.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

But if you think about it a good portion of Christians are called to be celibate a good portion of their lives, you combine that with the problems of adultery and fornication which hound many Christians and this becomes a serious issue. I have been involved in our abstinence until marriage effort at our Church and have found that part of the problem is not the teenagers and young adults but the adults who cannot handle celibacy.

Is celibacy shameful? If so why did the Apostle Paul speak of it so highly, why did Jesus remain celibate?

Why did Jesus remain celibate?......................... 1. He was purely righteous 2. He was God in the flesh 3. He had more important things on his mind, you, me and everyone else, Praise the Lord.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I've been celibate for decades. Why ? Cause I'm not married. I have to be sooo in love in order to even let a man touch me. I don't date unless I'm severely attracted to a guy. And believe me, those kind of men are few and far between.

I have absolutely no problelm with abstaining from premarital sex. Why ? Cause God gave me the ability to do so. I can do no good apart from Him. ;)

Alright. Who took my giant string collection ? :foot-stomp:

Yep,there are only a few men like that around...................................................... Good thing my wife married one of them. :24: :24: