• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Ever been to a church and seen people go up front for a prayer, Then they pray over you and someone stands behind you incase you fall. Well why would you need to fall. Are you closer to God that way or filled with the holy spirit more. Is satan attacking. Let me tell you a story. One time I went to this church that a friend was attending and they were doing a prayer. So I went to the front for a prayer and there was a person standing behind me. The person put her hand over me and started to pray over me, then after she was done praying over me it felt like she wanted to push me down. I didn't fall, but I was kinda ticked off cause I felt like i was being forced to fall down. I was like I'm not going to put on a show and fall. So do people do this for show. Seriously I seen people crying on the floor.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Crying on the floor I have absolutely no issue with. Often when we have gone up the mountain we've had an intimate, or healing, or convicting, experience with the Lord. There is nothing wrong with an emotional response to the Lord [so long as the emotion is the response and not the entirety of the interaction].

As for falling down... likewise some people meet with Him in such a powerful way that being on the floor is the safest place to be. I hate being pushed but it doesn't happen often where I go. Scripture is full of references of falling on their face before the Lord, of being brought to tears, of anguish over sin etc.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

"You can't fall off the floor."

Dean Martin

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

"You can't fall off the floor."

Dean Martin

:thumbsup::laugh:

I think in some cases it's legitimate, whereas if there is someone behind you to catch you, I think that is for show. If the Spirit is truly like the wind, then He's not predictable. I have seen people fall over after having hands laid on them, and it wasn't expected (and amazingly they weren't complaining of pain afterward). The stuff you see on tv, and the churches that try to emulate that, I have no use for.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,884
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

Crying on the floor I have absolutely no issue with. Often when we have gone up the mountain we've had an intimate, or healing, or convicting, experience with the Lord. There is nothing wrong with an emotional response to the Lord [so long as the emotion is the response and not the entirety of the interaction].

As for falling down... likewise some people meet with Him in such a powerful way that being on the floor is the safest place to be. I hate being pushed but it doesn't happen often where I go. Scripture is full of references of falling on their face before the Lord, of being brought to tears, of anguish over sin etc.

I agree with what Candice has said. It is "a time with God" so to speak. I have seen this for many years, and have indeed had it happen to myself a few times. But, when they start pushing, that is not of God. As far as "catchers", that is more for safely, although one can fall and not get hurt, if it is truly the work of the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sometimes people don't mean to push; sometimes they are just praying intensely and not realizing they are pushing. At least, this is what I've come to figure.

The point of lying on the floor is to spend time communing with the Lord. There are a few times I've gone down with no one touching me. A couple times I found myself falling forward. Other times I felt pressure on my thighs that put me down.

But unfortunately, sometimes the person praying thinks that you have to fall down, and they try to make it happen. I don't like that either.

O.K. I will speak from experience, I was one who fell over once like that. Mind you, I am making no claims about what it means, I honestly have no idea. I was at a prophecy conferance, the kind where people discuss end times, not one where people sit around and prophesy, lol. One of the speakers was having a worship gathering and preaching service one night, at the same location as the conferance, so I went back to hear him speak. At the conclusion of the service, he offered to pray for people, who believed that they needed prayer for what ever. I sat firmly in my seat. People went up an talked with him for a moment, and he prayed with them, one on one. I was not satisfied with my spiritual walk at the time, and I had been very moved by this mans teaching, scholarship and apparent heart for the Lord. Now, some of the people that he had talked and prayed with, had fallen over.

I had brought my wife and a few freinds from our home fellowship group along. I have to admit that seeing these people fall over, was intrigueing. I had seen it on TV etc, but never in person. It was not that I desired some 'spiritual experience', I was just curious to know, if there was anything to it, or was it an act or what? The window of opportunity to find out, was closing. One of my friends encouraged me to go forward. I asked "Why don't you do it?" He said, because I am afraid and I know you don't really believe in this stuff but I am curious, and I know you will not be lieing about what happens". "thanks a lot" I am thinking.

Well, I had to decide, and decide I did. I got up to go forward when one of my other friends said, I'll go up too. I went forward to the pastor and he just smiled. I began to talk - I probably got 2 or 3 words out when he said "Shhhhh! Don't think too much. (my mind was going a million miles a minute, but anyone could have guessed that) Then he said you are felling inadequate in your walk (again, probably true for most people), and the Lord sees your struggles. He knows you have been through some really tough times very recently (now that one was more impressive and hit the nail right on the head, in fact, it had been such a horrible time in my life, that I do not talk about it).

He raised his index finger to my forehead, and touched it gently, no pressure what so ever, I barely felt it. I fell backward - well, fell is an odd word, I had no sense of falling, but realized that I was fast approaching horizontal, and had no fear or anxiety about it, no adrenalin rush. I could feel his helpers catching me, and the next thing I knew, I was flat on my back, looking up at the lights on the ceiling high above. I was fully conscious, no fainting or anything like that, but I did feel different, very euphoric, as content as one could possibly be, I was wondering what my friends were thinking, but not really caring what they thought, I had no cares at the moment. I tried to get up, but felt constrained. I knew that I could get up, but the sensation was one of gravity increasing, the farther I lifted my upper body, so I thought o.k., I can lay back down for a few minutes. I remember my breathing was very slow, very deliberate, but not labored. In a few minutes, or maybe moments, I did get up, and went back to my seat.

Of course, all the friends were very curious, and so was I, I wanted to compare notes with my other friend, who also had 'fallen' backward.

His experience was different from mine. In his case, the falling was not involuntary at all. In his words: "I just felt that it was o.k. to fall." He had none of the euphoria or other symptoms, change of sense of being etc, that I had.

So, from that experience, I can say that not everyone that 'falls under the Spirit' is acting. Does it serve a purpose? Not that I know of. I do not see it in the bible, so I cannot make any guesses about it. My Spiritual walk did not improve after that (which was what I went up to seek prayer for (which I did receive by the way, and forgot to mention).

Some people have had this experience over and over. I can understand why. It is a nice feeling, I suspect that it is not much different for some, than a guilt free way of experiencing what some people use drugs for. I do not know though, the motives of others are known to them. For me, I never sought the experience again.

I do not talk about it much, people often are uncomfortable with what they do not understand. Me, I do not tend to fear the unknown, and am quite content to not know, while I was curious, I do not have a need to know what it means. Some will say it is demon possession. Whatever - same thing - it explains nothing as it still serves no purpose as far as I can tell, no matter what side of the Spiritual realm it comes from, if indeed it is from there at all.

Mass hypnosis? Maybe, I do not know enough about hypnosis to offer an opinion.

I just relate this information so that those of you who are pondering this, can have a first hand testimony of what the experience is, at least in one instance.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

If I don't fall backwards when I go up for prayer. Is that bad for me.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Most of what passes for 'being slain in the Spirit' has for many years seemed rather pavlovian to me..............