• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I had a strange phone call at work today.

One of my responsibilities is to oversee the management of the gates into the Game reserve I help manage. Day visitors pay at the gate for their vehicle and passengers and this is done on a first come first served basis, as we have daily visitor limits. One cannot Pre book a day visitor entry.

The guy who phoned, his name was Frank, explained his situation like this.

"I want to enter the Sodwana Bay gate for the day tomorrow but I have a problem". "I am a 7th day Adventist who observes the Sabbath and cannot pay money on the sabbath". "Can I arrange to pay today".

I told him sorry but the computer system would not allow it.

"He then said "What about if you let me in for free, and after 5 pm I can then pay".

I could not help him, but my question is this.....

How does one observe the Sabbath while driving a car, using gas, (which is sort of like paying), and then wait until 5 pm and then pay? Surely if you are going to observe the Sabbath, you should do just that, and not drive hundreds of kilometers to go to the beach for the day? And then it sort of is Ok after 5 pm.

I don't understand how this works? NO judgment, here, if this is what he does, so be it. But I have never heard of observing the sabbath like this?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I see your point here Fez. Strange indeed.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

I can't explain it..except to say I have family that are JW...they won't accept gifts on Christmas....but they will accept them a day after :noidea: And they let you know it too.... :noidea:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I understand your questions, and I certainly see your point. But without making a judgment on this person and how he celebrates the Sabboth, perhaps he could have prepaid, leaving the money at the gate with someone. The next day when he arrived. the gate person could have put it in the computer then.

I had a strange phone call at work today.

One of my responsibilities is to oversee the management of the gates into the Game reserve I help manage. Day visitors pay at the gate for their vehicle and passengers and this is done on a first come first served basis, as we have daily visitor limits. One cannot Pre book a day visitor entry.

The guy who phoned, his name was Frank, explained his situation like this.

"I want to enter the Sodwana Bay gate for the day tomorrow but I have a problem". "I am a 7th day Adventist who observes the Sabbath and cannot pay money on the sabbath". "Can I arrange to pay today".

I told him sorry but the computer system would not allow it.

"He then said "What about if you let me in for free, and after 5 pm I can then pay".

How does one observe the Sabbath while driving a car, using gas, (which is sort of like paying), and then wait until 5 pm and then pay? Surely if you are going to observe the Sabbath, you should do just that, and not drive hundreds of kilometers to go to the beach for the day? And then it sort of is Ok after 5 pm.

I don't understand how this works? NO judgment, here, if this is what he does, so be it. But I have never heard of observing the sabbath like this?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I suppose hitting him upside the head with your KJV would have been outta the question? :whistling::blink::laugh::wub:

Opps! I almost forgot. When you do that you have to say, "he whom the Son sets free is free indeed!"

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is what Law does.

If people would just accept that the Sabbath is a day of rest and treat it as such, they would be a lot better off.

But that can't help the SDA person.

Guest shiloh357

That problem did not escape the notice of the Rabbis. In Judaism, they plan their week and their life around the Sabbath. Actually, their work week ends about 3:00 pm on Friday. In Orthodox Judaism, men to to the synagogue for prayer around 3:00 pm or so, and then head home just before the lighting the Sabbath candles at sundown. They do not drive their cars, handle money, or cook on the Sabbath. They ususally live very close to their synagogue and so they walk to and from shul on Shabbat and then end the evening at home with a short havdallah service. They think ahead and plan their week so that all of their needs are taken care of in the six days they have available to them so that they can sanctify and honor the Sabbath without compromise.

They really do rest. The only difference between the Sabbath and other days for them is that it is a sanctified day where they cease their labors and rest. To them, it is a dress rehearsal for the Messianic Kingdom.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My Question – are we to help in this … In the sence of a shabath boy.

Contact to the person – might here be one good principle to follow.

The load – (legaly) not doing what is needed for temple work is huge.

And as Christians we are – very soon tempted to be judemental.

Can I do this person a favour. Am I myself at work tomorrow.

Do I find a way to get the money thing solved.

When I go to a shop, and a work men realy cares personal

He will go the extra-mile. He will try to arrange for a difficult

deal. He will fiddle things in, so that practical life gets easy for

me as a customer. Than that is great. Every one would feel

great - being on the receaving end. Having something realy

complicated done – with expertise feels great.

So are we – also to do, at least some of the problem solving

For outher people. / On top of that its an option – building

Some friendship. And later talk love – and getting to know Jesus.

We so often mis this practical option. The friendship, the bridge

So that we later can use that ground – for the real message.

So see your option. And do – what people ask – for Jesus sake.

Greetings Jo

listen (shma) You God’s people: with all our herats, all minds and all our will … ( 5th Mose 6, 4 )

The Strong man is conquerd - now!

…the Prince of this World – has already been judged (Joh 16, 8)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Keeping the Sabbath is about the rest God gives us each week. I understand where the guy is coming from but I have say if he is going out on an outing why is he worried about it. Its not secret around here that I keep the Sabbath and I plan my week out and have my meals prepared before the Sabbath each week but if something happened and I couldn't prepare I wouldn't have a cow about cooking after dark. And we have been known to get gas on the way to fellowship when my husband couldn't get it before hand. When we put such legal restrictions on everything where is the joy in that? I know many who work on the Sabbath and give their wages for the day to charity but sadly many also condemn them for doing good on that day and I know some who don't who also get condemned! sad.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My Question – are we to help in this … In the sence of a shabath boy.

Contact to the person – might here be one good principle to follow.

The load – (legaly) not doing what is needed for temple work is huge.

And as Christians we are – very soon tempted to be judemental.

Can I do this person a favour. Am I myself at work tomorrow.

Do I find a way to get the money thing solved.

When I go to a shop, and a work men realy cares personal

He will go the extra-mile. He will try to arrange for a difficult

deal. He will fiddle things in, so that practical life gets easy for

me as a customer. Than that is great. Every one would feel

great - being on the receaving end. Having something realy

complicated done – with expertise feels great.

So are we – also to do, at least some of the problem solving

For outher people. / On top of that its an option – building

Some friendship. And later talk love – and getting to know Jesus.

We so often mis this practical option. The friendship, the bridge

So that we later can use that ground – for the real message.

So see your option. And do – what people ask – for Jesus sake.

Greetings Jo

listen (shma) You God’s people: with all our herats, all minds and all our will … ( 5th Mose 6, 4 )

The Strong man is conquerd - now!

…the Prince of this World – has already been judged (Joh 16, 8)

Can I do this person a favor. - No, I work to strict policies with a 100% clean, not one question audit record for the last 9 years. Also the gate he wants to enter is a 3 hour drive from where I am based.

Am I myself at work tomorrow. - No I am off, and am installing new curtain rails in the house. Don't know if you mean do I observe the Sabbath? No I don't.

Do I find a way to get the money thing solved. - No I can't. To prevent fraud (lots of cash goes missing at gates - since we installed the system our gate takings have doubled, with no increase in fees), the system is locked to one vehicle in, loops in the road, CCV camera's etc. To close the system down means audit queries, resetting the system etc. Would your daily parkade in the middle of the city issue you with one of those ticket things from the payment booth thing the day before? Nope, the magnetic strip would be out of date.

As Shiloh says, want to observe the Sabbath, fine, I have no problem with it at all, but sort of plan not to drive for 3 hours from where you are the day before (6 hour round trip), which I do often, and believe me on our roads, is work, and perhaps visit on Sunday or Friday?