• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Famous “Last” Words for the Shuttle Program

by Nancy Atkinson on July 9, 2011

Friday July 8, 2011 was a significant historic day for NASA – one that will go down in history as the day of the final space shuttle launch. Here are a few of the historic “last” words spoken by the launch control team and the astronauts just before Atlantis headed off into history, as well as words from some other notable folks after the launch:

Click here

The video from the members of the close-out crew at the launchpad brought tears to my eyes - especially the last sign.

Guest Butero

I do not understand what possible reason they have for ending the shuttle program until they have something better to replace it with? :noidea: Do you have any thoughts on this Nebula? :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I am aware of why the program is ending, but I could not remember it all. So I did a search, and then figured it best if I just link you to a site with some good explanations:

Click here

The first three answers provide good details - after that the responses are pretty lame though.

(Oh, and apologies on how the questioner worded the question. Oops!)

Guest Butero

Thanks Nebula. That does answer the reasons for ending the program. I guess the problem is that I don't think they are good reasons. We should have a replacement for the shuttle before ending the program, rather than making our nation reliant on the Russians? It means we are no longer the leader in space technology.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It is time to get on with exploration outside orbit, and it's too expensive to maintain both a low orbit program and have the funds to fund the research for an orbital escape vehicle for manned space flight

Guest Butero

It is time to get on with exploration outside orbit, and it's too expensive to maintain both a low orbit program and have the funds to fund the research for an orbital escape vehicle for manned space flight

Don't they use the shuttle program for commercial purposes, like launching satellites? I can understand reducing the number of missions, and making sure that when the shuttle goes up, the flight is paid for, but why absolutely retire the shuttles? Why not keep them available? :noidea: