• Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Okay here it goes in a nutshell..

My wife and I now live in Norway.

We lived in the States for seven years prior, she has a green card in good standing.

How ever to keep said green card we need to go to the states once a year, file taxes, keep an address, bank account, etc.

another must we need to do is fly back to the states at least once a year, if not every six months, and she has to buy two, expensive one way tickets each time.

There is also a "Reentry" permit that allows for us to have 2 years at a time to live abroad. However we missed on getting this before we had no time left as it required two months to apply for it.

The other problem with this is that we plan to be here over two years and as long as five years, or maybe a bit more. The reentry permit will not allow for that.

We do plan to move back to the States after a time and so will need her to have her residency at that time.

The thing is, trying to keep the green card may make officials think that we are trying too circumvent the system, and they may take the card away from here no matter what, if this occurs, it will really hurt her chances of entering into the states even on a tourist visa again.

If we surrender the card, it takes a lot of weight off our shoulders, but that again risks us not being able to return to the states when then time comes. But it may help in the long run as we find that honesty helps in situations like this.

I have a email in to the US embassy here and we are looking into it.

We were planning a vacation/keep green card visit in August but that is looking more and more like a thing that is not going to happen, and if it does, it will be only here, as one, one-way ticket cost almost the same as a round-trip, and is almost twice as expensive.

Prayers and advice would be most welcome!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  348
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Praying for you and your wife Isaiah. I hope this post goes through this time.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Okay here it goes in a nutshell..

My wife and I now live in Norway.

We lived in the States for seven years prior, she has a green card in good standing.

How ever to keep said green card we need to go to the states once a year, file taxes, keep an address, bank account, etc.

another must we need to do is fly back to the states at least once a year, if not every six months, and she has to buy two, expensive one way tickets each time.

There is also a "Reentry" permit that allows for us to have 2 years at a time to live abroad. However we missed on getting this before we had no time left as it required two months to apply for it.

The other problem with this is that we plan to be here over two years and as long as five years, or maybe a bit more. The reentry permit will not allow for that.

We do plan to move back to the States after a time and so will need her to have her residency at that time.

The thing is, trying to keep the green card may make officials think that we are trying too circumvent the system, and they may take the card away from here no matter what, if this occurs, it will really hurt her chances of entering into the states even on a tourist visa again.

If we surrender the card, it takes a lot of weight off our shoulders, but that again risks us not being able to return to the states when then time comes. But it may help in the long run as we find that honesty helps in situations like this.

I have a email in to the US embassy here and we are looking into it.

We were planning a vacation/keep green card visit in August but that is looking more and more like a thing that is not going to happen, and if it does, it will be only here, as one, one-way ticket cost almost the same as a round-trip, and is almost twice as expensive.

Prayers and advice would be most welcome!

I will pray for you guys. Maybe the answer is in here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,359
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Isiah, there are attorneys in the US that specialize in immigration. Your situation isn't a simple thing and you really should get help from a professional.... It will be really easy for you to do things here that will hurt you in the long run, and the lawyers will know what to do, but more importantly what not to do. In it's current state I'm not sure I'd trust anyone in the government to help.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Prayers and wisdom be yours! And to know the Lord's leading!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

News, we may reapply if we surrender it.