• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

hi.

What are the consequences of marrying a non christian?

Blessings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

For Solomon, it made him fall from the Lord.

1Ki 11:1-13

1 Now King Solomon loved many foreign women, along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women,

2 from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods." Solomon clung to these in love.

3 He had 700 wives, princesses, and 300 concubines. And his wives turned away his heart.

4 For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods, and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

6 So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done.

7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem.

8 And so he did for all his foreign wives, who made offerings and sacrificed to their gods.

9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice

10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods. But he did not keep what the LORD commanded.

11 Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this has been your practice and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes that I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.

12 Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.

13 However, I will not tear away all the kingdom, but I will give one tribe to your son, for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem that I have chosen."

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I'm in a positive mood today :thumbsup:

So lets rather ask, "What are the joys of marrying a Christian?".

On that....

I believe marriage is a covenant with God, not a contract with the state. How can two have a three way covenant with God, if one does not believe? Can't be done.

Ecc 4:9 Two are better than one, (two believers - my words) because they have a good reward for their toil.

Ecc 4:10 For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!

Ecc 4:11 Again, if two lie together, (again, two believers) they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?

Ecc 4:12 And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord (a covenant with God, in marriage in this case - my words) is not quickly broken.

Guest shiloh357

hi.

Blessings.

1. You won't have a spouse with whom you can pray with and draw spiritual support from.

2. You will less impact on the unsaved spouse and they may draw you further from the Lord.

3. You will have conflicts in terms of what children should be raised to believe

4. You will have conflicts in terms of what is or is not acceptable behavior.

I have never met a believer who married a nonbeliver who didn't end up compromising their Christianity to keep the unsaved spouse happy.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

hi.

Blessings.

Dire - in a word!

Not that God cannot work all things for good, for the called, and according to His purpose - if we confess (i.e. agree with God) regarding the inadvisability of marrying an unbeliever against His express advice, but the consquences still have to be borne, albeit with God's strength and help.

Consider the problems that will arise when the believing partner wishes to bring up any children in the knowledge of God, and the unbelieving partner objects. When light and darkness attempt to co-exist, all one ends up with is a grey fog. And since that is an entirely unsatisfactory way to exist, separation is usually the result - whether it be in actuality (divorce) or apartness within the marriage.

Having been there, done it, and lived with the consequences, I would not recommend it to anyone starting out in marriage. It is so second best as to be undeserving of a second thought.

hi.

Blessings.

Consequences? Bad. All bad. Don't do it. There is good advice here.

The saved and unsaved partners are going to want to go in opposite directions, and it will cause nothing but tension as others have said. Even room mate, or business partnerships suffer the same thing, and marriage is no different. The nonbeliever is going to want to do things the believer doesn't like -- they are going to want to act like they are lost in other words . . . the lost always act like the lost. Since there's not common spiritual ground, there is not really a basis for a lasting godly relationship.

Some other scripture on the subject from 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 --

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

I have had to walk away from relationships because the other person was not saved. That hurts, there's no way around it and I'm not going to call it anything else. I would rather stay single than marry an unsaved person. Too many others have suffered from doing that, and I decided long ago by God's grace to learn from them and His word.

Edited by walla299

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

hi.

Blessings.

Is there a way you can get out of it, or are you stuck?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

hi.

Blessings.

1. You won't have a spouse with whom you can pray with and draw spiritual support from.

2. You will less impact on the unsaved spouse and they may draw you further from the Lord.

3. You will have conflicts in terms of what children should be raised to believe

4. You will have conflicts in terms of what is or is not acceptable behavior.

I have never met a believer who married a nonbeliver who didn't end up compromising their Christianity to keep the unsaved spouse happy.

My mother didn't compromise her faith nor her values, she was though a human woman who failed in some areas just like all of us. Matter of fact it was my moms constant faith, constant striving to walk with Him that finally got my dad to see Him through her. Now marrying a person who has another god or faith may prove disastorous for all parties involved.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

hi.

Blessings.

You hit the nail on the head, I am stuck.

My parents are hindus and they are forcing me. The only way I can get out of it is running away from home or God having me dead somehow (I am not suicidal though. So nobody needs to worry about that angle).

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You hit the nail on the head, I am stuck.

My parents are hindus and they are forcing me. The only way I can get out of it is running away from home or God having me dead somehow (I am not suicidal though. So nobody needs to worry about that angle).

I remembered you having shared about this. And I thought I'd double check the status, and also it would be beneficial for the others to understand your situation so they can respond better.

My first piece of advice - Talk to the Lord about it. Ask Him for guidance and direction. Even fast if you can. Ask Him for a way out, and if He gives you one don't be afraid to follow it (I know that's easier said than done, but you got to trust whatever He tells you).

Now Paul does give instruction for the believing wife what to do about it - 1 Corinthians 7

So if you do get stuck into this marriage, you do have guidance in how to live with it.

But I will appeal to the Lord for you as well for Him to grant you a way out.

:emot-hug: