• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Measuring Global Photosynthesis Rate: Earth's Plant Life 'Recycles' Carbon Dioxide Faster Than Previously Estimated

ScienceDaily (Sep. 28, 2011)

A Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego-led research team followed the path of oxygen atoms on carbon dioxide molecules during photosynthesis to create a new way of measuring the efficiency of the world's plant life.

A team led by postdoctoral researcher Lisa Welp considered the oxygen atoms contained in the carbon dioxide taken up by plants during photosynthesis. The ratio of two oxygen isotopes in carbon dioxide told researchers how long the CO2 had been in the atmosphere and how fast it had passed through plants. From this, they estimated that the global rate of photosynthesis is about 25 percent faster than thought.

More here

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

interesting!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Measuring Global Photosynthesis Rate: Earth's Plant Life 'Recycles' Carbon Dioxide Faster Than Previously Estimated

ScienceDaily (Sep. 28, 2011)

A Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego-led research team followed the path of oxygen atoms on carbon dioxide molecules during photosynthesis to create a new way of measuring the efficiency of the world's plant life.

A team led by postdoctoral researcher Lisa Welp considered the oxygen atoms contained in the carbon dioxide taken up by plants during photosynthesis. The ratio of two oxygen isotopes in carbon dioxide told researchers how long the CO2 had been in the atmosphere and how fast it had passed through plants. From this, they estimated that the global rate of photosynthesis is about 25 percent faster than thought.

More here

Good morning!

I have a question: What implications - if any - do you see this having re: the whole global warming debate?

Blessings!

-Ed

Well, the first thing we'll see is Global warming promoters finding ways to convince everyone it has no effect on the issue.

The real problem with the debate, as I see it -

That the climate is changing is indisputable. What is in doubt is how much human industry and such is responsible for everything being thrown off kilter vs. natural.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, the first thing we'll see is Global warming promoters finding ways to convince everyone it has no effect on the issue.

The real problem with the debate, as I see it -

That the climate is changing is indisputable. What is in doubt is how much human industry and such is responsible for everything being thrown off kilter vs. natural.

While I'm not a global warming alarmist, one has to understand that human activity has to have some effedt on the planet. When you look at the polution that China is putting into the air it has to have some effect on things. Consider we used to do the same thing would have made it even worse.

We do need to take care of our planet, but I don't think we need to overturn our society in the process. If we could get India and China to follow the clean air things we have done and continue to do, things should improve over the long run. I bleieve the bible says that Adam was to till and care for the garden and we really should be doing the same for the planet, or we could end up very hungry for a really long time.

If you're going for a natural cause, the main problem is that scientists have a decent understanding of how the world's climate has changed in the past (pre-human influences), unfortunately all of those processes are either inactive or changing too slow to account for the change observed. So all in all, we know of no natural process that can account for the rate of change in climate observed today, and we know that atmospheric carbon has substantially increased, and that increase is due to human activity.

Do they know what actually caused climate changes in the past?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would agree that the CO2 levels being higher are man made, but the effect of higher Co2 causing climate change is still a very very large question that there are different opinions on. We are experiencing changes in the earth's magnetosphere and the output of the sun and increased volcano activity.... way too many things to blame it on any one thing.

The thing that seems to correlate best with the Earth's warming and cooling is the Milankovitch cycles. The eccentricity of our orbit and changes in the tilt have large effects on climate. The cycling though glacial and interglacial periods, cooling and warming, won't change. The thing in question is if our addition of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is placing extra strain on this model and the effects this will have in our near future. imo. There have also been a couple of curious times in our history when high CO2 levels have not been in unison with high temperatures. I don't think we have any idea why this is except maybe high levels of water vapour was the predominant greenhouse gas at those times which points again to the cosmic ray flux and the Milankovitch model.

The biggest problem with the climate change debate is summed by some bloke who said.... "The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion."

I like how chemists are attempting to replicate photosynthesis as a carbon burning partner. That would be sensational.

I agree with you other one.