• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

I actually attended Osteen's church for quite a while, back long before they moved into their current facility. I have met he, his wife, his sister, his brother and his mother personally. You will never meet kinder, more compassionate people. I have also read a couple of his books. I am no expert on theology, but feel qualified to offer my impressions.

First, please understand, that like any televised pastor, there is far more to the church than is communicated on television. They have education classes, home fellowship groups, 12-step groups and many other ways for people to get involved on a more personal level, to learn and grow. The church currently averages more than 25,000 people per week. It's more than just show up, sing a few songs, listen to a 30-minute feel good message and go home.

They are one of the few churches I have ever visited that actually takes time out during the middle of the service to pray for people one-on-one. Have done so for many years. Now, in the new, bigger building, it presents more of a logistical challenge, and sometimes requires 10-15 minutes. But they do it. Anyone may come and request prayer for any reason, no questions asked. They also have an invitation for persons to become Christian at the close of each service.

I can assure you Joel DOES believe in salvation through Jesus Christ, as do all the members of his family. Is Jesus the ONLY way? That's a gray area. But Jesus is certainly A WAY.

Each person has a unique calling and Joel feels his calling is to uplift and encourage people, not to tear down other religions. There is a lot of negativity in the world and he tries to lift people up, bring a message that God cares about them and encourage them to trust God with their lives. He's as much pyschologist and motivational speaker as he is pastor. He admittedly would probably make a lousy Bible school teacher. He never went to seminary and probably doesn't know a word of Greek or Hebrew. If you want in-depth Bible teaching, you will likely find others who do it better. If you need to be encouraged, Joel may be your man.

I have heard Joel answer direct questions about controversial topics, such as homosexuality. He will give his personal opinion, but also say he respects others who disagree and that how one treats people is far more important than winning a theology debate. He understands that there are some issues that tend to divide people and that is contrary to his calling. I have never heard Joel tell anyone they were going to hell (not a very encouraging thought), although he has mentioned hell occasionally in his sermons. He emphasizes that it is not God's will that any should perish.

I have no idea --- and I suspect neither does he --- on what he believes regarding the afterlife, the idea of Jesus coming to earth, what is the unpardonable sin or Old Testament Israeli history. Others are likely more able to deal with those subjects.

My one complaint might be that his messages tend to get a little predictable after a while. It's like eating ice cream for supper every day... eventually you run out of flavors to sample. That being said, he's a truly good person and I'm happy their church has grown so much over the last 12 years.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I've read one of his books. I did watch some of his programming on t.v. But one time, I was disturbed when they had an interview with some of the attendees to his church- One Muslim, Christian, and whoever else (a family) were attending. I forget exactly what he said but it seemed to me they were treating it as a social event. After that, I didn't really watch him anymore.

However, as for Jesus-

I will allow the words of Peter, one of the disciples of Jesus, speak to that "question" of Jesus as the only way to salvation... Peter spoke under the power of the Holy Spirit to the rulers, elders, and scribes of Israel including the high priest, Annas.

Acts 4 from the New American Standard Version

5On the next day, their rulers and elders and scribes were gathered together in Jerusalem; 6and Annas the high priest was there, and Caiaphas and John and Alexander, and all who were of high-priestly descent. 7When they had placed them in the center, they began to inquire, “By what power, or in what name, have you done this?” 8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers and elders of the people, 9if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, 10let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead—by this name this man stands here before you in good health. 11“He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone. 12“And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

Peter clearly says there is no other name that offers salvation to men but Jesus and Him alone.

If that is not sufficient...

Consider the words of Jesus Himself.

John 10 NASB version

7So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8“All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9“I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

John 14 NASB version

1“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2“In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3“If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 4“And you know the way where I am going.” 5Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Jesus did not say He was "a" way but "THE" way. The Scriptures does not provide any wiggle area for this.

The "multi-path" belief that any way to reach God is equivalent to each other is becoming more common these days. That is not what Scripture teaches us. To be a Christian is to believe that Jesus is The WAY. In fact, "Christianity" as a Jewish sect in Israel in 1st century a.d. used to be called "The Way" until at Antioch, believers were labeled "Christians". It isn't concidential.

Edited by Cajunluvie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I can assure you Joel DOES believe in salvation through Jesus Christ, as do all the members of his family. Is Jesus the ONLY way? That's a gray area. But Jesus is certainly A WAY.

It is not a grey area Mark. Jesus Himself said He is the only way.

John 14

6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Each person has a unique calling and Joel feels his calling is to uplift and encourage people, not to tear down other religions. There is a lot of negativity in the world and he tries to lift people up, bring a message that God cares about them and encourage them to trust God with their lives. He's as much pyschologist and motivational speaker as he is pastor. He admittedly would probably make a lousy Bible school teacher. He never went to seminary and probably doesn't know a word of Greek or Hebrew. If you want in-depth Bible teaching, you will likely find others who do it better. If you need to be encouraged, Joel may be your man.

I have heard Joel answer direct questions about controversial topics, such as homosexuality. He will give his personal opinion, but also say he respects others who disagree and that how one treats people is far more important than winning a theology debate. He understands that there are some issues that tend to divide people and that is contrary to his calling. I have never heard Joel tell anyone they were going to hell (not a very encouraging thought), although he has mentioned hell occasionally in his sermons. He emphasizes that it is not God's will that any should perish.

This is not the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said,

Mt 10:35

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Mt 10:36

And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Mt 10:37

He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Mt 10:38

And he that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.

Jesus is the only way;

Joh 14:6

Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.

Anyone preaching this Gospel will find himself at variance with others from time to time. God has commanded us to Preach the Truth not win a popularity contest.

In fact,

Joh 15:18

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

Not that we should look to be hated or even try to be so. The world will hate us by virtue of the fact that it hates our Lord.:thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, it is true that not everyone has the gift of getting into people's faces like John the Baptist did.

And Evangelical Christianity does seem to err on the side of judgment rather than grace.

But there comes a point where sin needs to be tagged as sin with no apology or explanation. No, one doesn't need to beat people over the head with it, which may be what he's trying to avoid.

I appreciate your insights, Mark. It does show that there is more than meets the eye, so to speak.

But Jesus didn't die so that people can worship another god.

I don't think Joel, or his father John Osteen (who founded the church and died in 1999) ever really started out with the intent to make money or become popular. I don't think they ever sat down and decided "hey, this is what appeals to people, so let's do this". I think it is an outpouring of what they really believe.

When John Osteen died in 1999, the church was certainly successful and large (8,000-seat auditorium), but not the megachurch is has become under Joel. In Joel's second year, they added a Saturday night service to accomodate the crowds. Then about five years later, purchased a larger facility. I'm not directly equating numbers with success. There are a lot of churches that may be big. If I had never met Joel, maybe I would feel less of a need to defend him. But I know he has a good heart and wants every person to be successful and happy.

I will venture a guess that more people are concerned with improving their lives (in many different areas) than they are in finding some form of 'eternal life' or 'laying up treasures in heaven'. Joel understands that and tries to address their needs: how to find peace, how to have better relationships, how to live out many of Jesus' teachings, etc.

Strange but true story......

I met Joel's sister, Lisa Comes, in the early 2000s. She preaches a couple of times per month (usually on Wednesdays) and has been on staff at the church for more than 20 years. Lisa was a big influence in my life. She released her first book "You were made for more" (available at Walmart and many bookstores) just before Christmas last year and does speaking engagements all over the country, a bonafide celebrity.

Last December, when my dad suffered a heart attack and I had to make an emergency trip back to Texas, I attended one of their services. I ran into Lisa afterward for the first time in at least 5 years. She recognized me and I told her what had happened. She was at a table signing copies of her new book with maybe 200-300 people in line. Yet, she stopped right there and took a couple of minutes to pray for me and my family. That really touched me and says a lot about who she and all of Joel's family are.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

If I had never met Joel, maybe I would feel less of a need to defend him. But I know he has a good heart and wants every person to be successful and happy.

Thats fine to be a motivational speaker. But he is claiming to be a preacher and folks look to him as a preacher. A preacher needs to promote the gospel of Christ. He is a bit lacking there.

I will venture a guess that more people are concerned with improving their lives (in many different areas) than they are in finding some form of 'eternal life' or 'laying up treasures in heaven'. Joel understands that and tries to address their needs: how to find peace, how to have better relationships, how to live out many of Jesus' teachings, etc.

Again, motivational speaker, not a preacher of the gospel. And he lacks in how to live out the teachings of Christ when he refuses to state what sin is.

Im not questioning that he is nice etc. I just do not see him as a good preacher since he lacks the basics of the gospel. Mark, you like him as a preacher but has he done you a good service in that regard? You do not accept certain parts of the gospel because it offends your sense of whats "good" or "right". Has osteen helped you learn about the difficult parts of the gospel or has he fostered your current false beliefs despite the fact that it goes against what Jesus said?

Joel has a unique calling that may be different from someone else's.

I have listened to him --- either in person, via television or online --- for a number of years. Some of my personal experiences challenge the whole "God has a great plan for your life" message, but Joel has many good things to offer. He is similar to Jesus in that he brings God's message to his generation, just as Jesus did.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I watched him in an interview and he said he believes there is more than one way to heaven. In my opinon he is wrong Jesus Christ is the only way, period.

Edited by coheir