• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/12/1978

Just giving my US friends a heads up. Personaly, I just found out today.

http://news.yahoo.com/emergency-alert-system-gets-first-national-test-wednesday-153008739.html

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

Thanks tintiger, Heard about this earlier but didn't know Tmobile had run a test already to their customers. Wonder why the other phone companies didn't.

First heard the president was making a speech about it, but seems someone else will be doing that now.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=8423811

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think it's a good idea for the test. when you have these things for years and years it gets to be such a nothing thing that people can't respond to it when it really does happen. There are things that the stations have to do and there are password lists that get misplaced and/or lost, just a lot of things can go wrong.

When a station runs that test and you hear that funny sound, that sound alerts other stations in the area and when you check the passwords to make certain that it's for real then those stations will go off the air also.

I don't believe that's going to happen in two minutes unless they've automated something since I left the tv business. But if it works and people do really keep up with their stuff, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to reach the West Coast......

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/12/1978

If it works like I hear they HOPE it will work, the system is to trigger at the same exact moment all cross the nation.

Didn't work where I am in Florida.

If it works like I hear they HOPE it will work, the system is to trigger at the same exact moment all cross the nation.

We used to use teletypes at the TV and radio stations, but we had receivers that listen to other stations and listen for that odd sound they make, and when that is heard it sets off an alarm in the transmitter room at the station and the engineer on duty would check and crosscheck to see if it was a test or a real alert. Theoretically you could set off one station and within about 15 to thirty minutes it would spread across the whole country. I spent about 8 years as an audio engineer and/or director and it seemed to fall to me to make and take care of the tapes that had the real alerts on them...... they're kind of spooky to do, and the panic they would cause if they were accidentally played on the air made us take some extreme cautions. They had to be in reach of the on air audio engineer at all times, but not where he/she could ever accidentally put them on the air.

We usually recorded them on a system that could not be even patched into the transmitter or in the case of one station when the transmitter was on. I grew up in the cold war era, so I was kind of used to understanding that the would could come to a hard stop within any 27 minute part of the day...... but I gotta tell you when you hear an official broadcast that the president has interrupted this broadcast because of launched missiles, it brings the possibility into such a sharp focus that it changes your world...... at least it did mine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I fear it is some sinister plan, they plan to run the test on the Internet too, I fear my government.

I fear it is some sinister plan, they plan to run the test on the Internet too, I fear my government.

You might want to fear your military, but we still greatly outnumber the government..... If our local law inforcement and the military don't go along with the civilian government people when they decide to try and take over, they will fail miserably. As long as we are alert to what they are doing we can slow them down and stop them in the end...... military wise that isn't realilty though.

However, we were in Branson Misouri last month and when they asked us Veterans to stand up toward the end of the shows about half of the males and a quarter of the females stood up..... We'll not likely just lay over and die when push comes to shove.

Our military is a different story...... those people are good, and they are well trained to break things and kill people so then it's time to go home to the Lord and leave this place to the devil.

Move down here and we'll give em heck together... http://www.oklahomafullauto.com/