O'Dannyboy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

The problem is, psychologist deny the effectiveness of backmasking for three main reasons:

1) Subliminal messages are generally ineffective or quite limited in their influence.

2) A message recorded backwards is unintelligible when the record played forwards. It could not be understood even if it was played apart from the music.

3) A backmasked message superimposed on a musical passage would be itself masked by the music so that it would not readily be heard.

( Charles Rollins, Jr., "Backmasking myths" at: http://www.mosquitonet.com/~chuck/tune/backmasking.htm His essay includes the following references:

F Borgeat MD et al, "Psychophysiological response to Masked Auditory Stimuli", Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, Vol 30, 1985-FEB.

J. Vokey, & J.D. Read, "Subliminal messages between the devil and the media," American Psychologist, Vol 40, No 11, Pages 1231-1239 (1985-NOV).

T E. Moore, "Subliminal advertising: what you see is what you get," Journal of Marketing, Vol 46 (1982-Spring), Pages 38-47.

A. Greenwald, "Unconscious Cognition Reclaimed," American Psychologist Vol. 47 No 6, Pages 766-779)

As for the "Coke-Popcorn" belief, the only problem with it is that while Vicary claimed sales went up, he never released the results of his study. He said what happened but never produced the evidence of validation of the findings. It's believed to be false because multiple attempts to replicate his study failed miserably.

Thus, there might be backmasking, unfortunately there's not any evidence to prove it's effective.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Dear All:

This is just my opinion.  You don't have to accept it if you dislike it.  DISCLAIMER:  I am not a christian.

I have been listening to the Eagles' Hotel California for a very long time.  It has been one of my favorite songs.  I remember on one of my cross country drives I would listen to that song over and over on repeat for many states.  I can honestly tell you that I have not had any strange urges to do drugs or worship satan since listening to that song.

If some of you choose to interpret my not being a christian as actively worshipping satan, that is your choice.  However, you should also know I wasn't a christian before I heard that song. :b:

Regards,

UndecidedFrog

Dear Undecided,

This is what the Word of God has to say about the deceiver, satan.

2Co 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

He will use ANY and ALL methods to accomplish this goal. If money will keep someone from God he will use money, if poverty then he will use poverty. If religion is the tool to blind the eyes that is what he will use. Atheism is a "religion" too.

LT

The problem is, psychologist deny the effectiveness of backmasking for three main reasons:

1) Subliminal messages are generally ineffective or quite limited in their influence.

2) A message recorded backwards is unintelligible when the record played forwards. It could not be understood even if it was played apart from the music.

3) A backmasked message superimposed on a musical passage would be itself masked by the music so that it would not readily be heard.

( Charles Rollins, Jr., "Backmasking myths" at:  http://www.mosquitonet.com/~chuck/tune/backmasking.htm His essay includes the following references:

F Borgeat MD et al, "Psychophysiological response to Masked Auditory Stimuli", Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, Vol 30, 1985-FEB.

J. Vokey, & J.D. Read, "Subliminal messages between the devil and the media," American Psychologist, Vol 40, No 11, Pages 1231-1239 (1985-NOV).

T E. Moore, "Subliminal advertising: what you see is what you get," Journal of Marketing, Vol 46 (1982-Spring), Pages 38-47.

A. Greenwald, "Unconscious Cognition Reclaimed," American Psychologist Vol. 47 No 6, Pages 766-779)

As for the "Coke-Popcorn" belief, the only problem with it is that while Vicary claimed sales went up, he never released the results of his study. He said what happened but never produced the evidence of validation of the findings. It's believed to be false because multiple attempts to replicate his study failed miserably.

Thus, there might be backmasking, unfortunately there's not any evidence to prove it's effective.

SJ

You underestimate the ability of the mind to perceive. There are many thing that we do not consciously perceive but gets into the mind. Music is one of those things that circumvents the built in filters that God put in us. Alsitair Crowley taught his followers to do everything backwards as a rebellion against everything God did. Walk, talk, write, sleep during the day, stay awake at night, etc. The natural man may recognize the existance of these phenomena but he cannot understand them. The only way we as believers can understand these thing is by the Spirit of God.

Rom. 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

Dear larryt,

This is just my opinion. You don't have to accept it if you dislike it. DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian.

You said:

Atheism is a "religion" too

I sincerely doubt that. Atheism is not a religion, it is a statement of condition. Specifically, the condition of not having any beliefs in any god/s. Atheists do not pray to any god/s, for they have no beliefs in them. Atheists do not attend churches, temples, synagogues or mosques. Atheists do not preach belief in god/s or from religious books.

Please tell me how you construe Atheism as a religion. Which deity do you think we believe?

Regards,

UndecidedFrog

( Charles Rollins, Jr., "Backmasking myths" at:

( Charles Rollins, Jr., "Backmasking myths" at:  http://www.mosquitonet.com/~chuck/tune/backmasking.htm His essay includes the following references:

SJ

You underestimate the ability of the mind to perceive. There are many thing that we do not consciously perceive but gets into the mind. Music is one of those things that circumvents the built in filters that God put in us. Alsitair Crowley taught his followers to do everything backwards as a rebellion against everything God did. Walk, talk, write, sleep during the day, stay awake at night, etc. The natural man may recognize the existance of these phenomena but he cannot understand them. The only way we as believers can understand these thing is by the Spirit of God.

Rom. 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Larry, it's been proven to be ineffective by psychologist.

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace [be] with thee. Amen.

Psychology is NOWHERE NEAR, NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE, to being a SCIENCE. NOTHING, AND I REPEAT, NOTHING IS

PROVEN ABOUT, IN, & THROUGH PSYCHOLOGY

The best that can be said about psychology is that there are ideas people have about how people think. It is not a SCIENCE by any stretch of the imagination.

LT

( Charles Rollins, Jr., "Backmasking myths" at:

Actually, some aspects of psychology are a science. It is an observable action within a controled and uncontroled atmosphere and can be recreated and tested for others to view, thus it is a science. Secondly, anytime people have been subjected to back-masking, either in a controled enviroment or uncontroled, and it's been observed and marked down, it's been proven that it fails. It doesn't work. This is a verifiable fact.

1Co 1:20  Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1Co 1:21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 2:6

Actually, some aspects of psychology are a science. It is an observable action within a controled and uncontroled atmosphere and can be recreated and tested for others to view, thus it is a science. Secondly, anytime people have been subjected to back-masking, either in a controled enviroment or uncontroled, and it's been observed and marked down, it's been proven that it fails. It doesn't work. This is a verifiable fact.

1Co 1:20  Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1Co 1:21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 2:6

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You all can think that the back masking and things are not realistically having an effect on people but I really do beg to differ. I have spent a very long time recording our meetings at work and listening to them backwards, and people do put reverse speech within their forward speech off and on a lot more often than you would know. It usually comes when one gets very emotional about a subject, and if you have a really good ear for musical tones you can actually hear the harmonics in the forward speech.

I spent years making notes of how someone in a meeting could say some of the most light things that would totally offend most of the people in the room, and after people would discuss it they usually were amazed that they had gotten so upset.

For several years now I have worked with mostly non believers and I had to get away from the recordings for they were giving me a real attitude toward the people I have no choice as to whether or not I work with. Some of the things that heathens will say about you are hard to take :P

It's perfectly OK for you to think I'm totally nuts, for that is exactly what I told the person who introduced me to it......... :):) .