• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Help Please...

My computer gets so hot on bottom and sides. I have made sure that nothing is blocking the vent. Is there another reason why this is happening? I was told, the motor can burn if it gets too hot. Its a Gateway lap top and about four years old.

Thanks for your time in helping with the problem...

2j

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/04/1959

Help Please...

My computer gets so hot on bottom and sides. I have made sure that nothing is blocking the vent. Is there another reason why this is happening? I was told, the motor can burn if it gets too hot. Its a Gateway lap top and about four years old.

Thanks for your time in helping with the problem...

2j

I have a gateway laptop also and they all get hot when you have them sitting on your lap for a long time, that is why they make cooling pads which I also need to get.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,248
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

yup.... I have a strong cooling pad cause of power and close quarters inside laptop case! Get a high CFM pad 2Joyful! Love, Steven

Thanks you both...nikaoman and enoob...

But....

My computer gets hot on my desk....:thumbsup:

I must buy one those cooling pad......:wub:

If that's a 4 year old machine, I would see about opening it up and giving it a good cleaning inside. The fans and heat sinks inside may be full of dust that accumulates with time. Along with vents on the sides and back of the laptop, there are probably some on the underside also. Make sure those don't get blocked by anything the machine is sitting on.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find someone who does . . . :) Some shops will toss in a cleaning for free when you have other work done.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

If that's a 4 year old machine, I would see about opening it up and giving it a good cleaning inside. The fans and heat sinks inside may be full of dust that accumulates with time. Along with vents on the sides and back of the laptop, there are probably some on the underside also. Make sure those don't get blocked by anything the machine is sitting on.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find someone who does . . . :) Some shops will toss in a cleaning for free when you have other work done.

If you have never taken a laptop apart, I would find someone who has. There are just too many things to mess up if you are not careful, and it is so easy to loose them little screws.

Gateways have always had trouble with overheating. Get a cooling pad and see how that works first.

Walla, Thanks for this information...

But...

Me :noidea: cleaning my computer :taped:

The only thing I know about computers...

Two finger typing...

I'll get someone to check it out.

:wub:

If you have never taken a laptop apart, I would find someone who has. There are just too many things to mess up if you are not careful, and it is so easy to loose them little screws.

Gateways have always had trouble with overheating. Get a cooling pad and see how that works first.

Thanks and...

Greetings 1Light,

Before posting here...

I search the net for answers...

One was how gateway is known for over heating...

I will take to heart all the advice thats been given.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/04/1959

My gate way has a vent on front and back that you can blow through with a can of compressed air bought at best buy or walmart

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

I would like to second the opinion of opening it up for cleaning. Even in a somewhat clean environment, it is surprising how much will accumulate inside, especially in 4 years! Even if it is not the problem, it most certainly is due for opening up after 4 years.

:P