• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Suzanne,

The other day when I was posting about trusting God and "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." You said that was a picture of Christ in relation to God and it really struck me and made me think about Job and I have been thinking since then how Job could be a picture of Christ.

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

When I have read the story of Noah I have always thought of this verse where the raven is sent out by Noah and doesn't come back. Ravens symbolize satan many times and this raven went "to and fro" until the waters had dried up on the earth. (Gen. 9:7)

Very complex book!

Yes Wordsower,

You are exactly right! In fact there are explicit Scripture verses within Job, to compliment just what you have spoken about Christ and Job. I'll try to get back and post them in a little while.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Job 5:8 I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause:

Job 5:9 Which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvellous things without number:

This is the best advise, and worthy of study, these "friends" gave Job the entire stay. they had begun by telling Job how they would have to ask Job some tuff questions if they were going to help him; they would need to know all Job's affairs, and they were eager to begin with the details-the worst stuff first; poor Job.

The wall of protection is part of God

Edited by sail2awe

Suzanne,

The other day when I was posting about trusting God and "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."  You said that was a picture of Christ in relation to God and it really struck me and made me think about Job and I have been thinking since then how Job could be a picture of Christ.

Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

When I have read the story of Noah I have always thought of this verse where the raven is sent out by Noah and doesn't come back. Ravens symbolize satan many times and this raven went "to and fro" until the waters had dried up on the earth. (Gen. 9:7)

Very complex book!

Yes Wordsower,

You are exactly right! In fact there are explicit Scripture verses within Job, to compliment just what you have spoken about Christ and Job. I'll try to get back and post them in a little while.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Ok, wordsower,

Here is something that I had never noticed! I am thankful I had to go and look at those passages again to post here, because I missed one that is SO VERY IMPORTANT! We need to remember it, as we as God's children persevere through trials:

Job 16:8 You have shriveled me up, And it is a witness against me; My leanness rises up against me And bears witness to my face. 9 He tears me in His wrath, and hates me; He gnashes at me with His teeth; My adversary sharpens His gaze on me. 10 They gape at me with their mouth, They strike me reproachfully on the cheek, They gather together against me. 11 God has delivered me to the ungodly, And turned me over to the hands of the wicked. 12 I was at ease, but He has shattered me; He also has taken me by my neck, and shaken me to pieces; He has set me up for His target, 13 His archers surround me. He pierces my heart and does not pity; He pours out my gall on the ground.

(In the NIV, it translates in 16:8, You have bound me--and it has become a witness: This is complimentary to what you stated in the other post Wordsower. And when I studied these passages before, I missed how very important that one verse was!)

As a side note, and a totally different study.....affliction........is an absolute in the life of a Christian.......ALWAYS!!! Many times affliction will be the necessary vehicle that will drive us right to Christ's feet! I had to learn the hard way. It is what took me from a "lukewarm", to a real BONAFIDE CHRIST FOLLOWER! He kept calling me, and I kept choosing for the world, but one day I decided the affliction of the circumstances of my life was just TOO MUCH!!! I CRIED OUT! I am thankful for this affliction. Now, having said that, let's keep that in the backs of our minds as we study Job.

Ps 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes.

Ps 119:75 I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right, And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.

Ps 119:107 I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.

Ps 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from Him; But when He cried to Him, He heard.

In His Love,

Suzanne

It was permitted to provide us an example of what can and will happen to us when we neglect to include God. with all adversity God provides us a way out.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

I realize the verse is speaking of Christ, yet also Job was an upright and just man.

Gen 8:11 And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.

Isn't it marvelous wonderful that God had the dove bring back an olive branch?

this is from the Interntnl Standard Bible Ency.

All the characters of the story, Job included, are from non-Palestinian regions. The chief spokes-man of the friends, Eliphaz, who is from Teman, is perhaps intended to represent a type of the standard and orthodox wisdom of the day; Teman, and Edom in general being famed for wisdom (Jer_49:7; Oba_1:8, Oba_1:9). The characters of the friends, while representing in general a remarkable uniformity of tenet, are quite aptly individualized: Eliphaz as a venerable and devout sage who, with his eminent penetrativeness of insight, combines a yearning compassion; Bildad more as a scholar versed in the derived lore of tradition; and Zophar more impetuous and dogmatic, with the dogmatist's vein of intolerance. In Elihu, the young Aramean who speaks after the others, the writer seems endeavoring to portray a young man's positiveness and absoluteness of conviction, and with it a self-conceit that quite outruns his ability. The Satan of the Prologue, who makes the wager with Yahweh, is masterfully individualized, not as the malignant tempter and enemy of mankind, but as a spirit compact of impudent skepticism, who can appreciate no motive beyond self-advantage. Even the wife of Job, with her peremptory disposition to make his affliction a personal issue with God, is not without an authentic touch of the elemental feminine. But high above them all is the character of Job himself, which, with all its stormy alternations of mood, range of assertion and remonstrance and growth of new conviction, remains absolutely consistent with itself. Nor can we leave unmentioned what is perhaps the hardest achievement of all, the sublime venture of giving the very words of God, in such a way that He speaks no word out of character nor measures His thought according to the standards of men.

The friends are silenced, not enlightened. They have clung to their hard thesis to the stubborn end; postulating enough overt crime on Job's part to kill him (Job_22:5-9), and clinching their hypothesis with their theory of innate depravity (Job_4:18, Job_4:19; Job_15:14, Job_15:15; Job_25:4-6) and spiritual hebetude (Job_5:2; Job_15:26, Job_15:27; Job_22:10, Job_22:11); but toward Job's higher level of honest integrity and exploring faith they have not advanced one inch; and here they lie, fossilized dogmatists, fixed and inveterate in their odium theologicum - a far cry from the friendship that came from afar to condole and console. Job, on the other hand, staking all on the issue of his integrity, has held on his way in sturdy consistency , and stood his ground before the enigma of things as they are.

Job 17:9 The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.

The LORD begins with a peremptory dismissal of Elihu:

Edited by sail2awe

The LORD begins with a peremptory dismissal of Elihu:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

If we are reading in between the lines this is what I have seen so far.

I really recommend against reading between the lines, as there is nothing there but white space.

As for Job, the fact is that the Lord brought Job to Satan's attention. Satan considered Job to be a useless target, for hadn't the Lord put a hedge around about him and all that he had on every side?

The protection of the Lord is complete and entire. The Lord keeps you even when it does not look like you are being kept, Job emerges twice blessed at the end.

Job's friends accused him without cause, and Job maintained his integrity (innocence and uprighteousness).

The voice of the youngest was the only correct voice, and it was given properly at the end of the discourse, after the elders had spoken.

There is a troubling picture here that indicates that the Lord is willing to allow increased troubles to those that are serving Him with their whole heart in order to grant to them a greater blessing than they had previously enjoyed.

Although Job said that he would argue with the Lord if he got the chance, when he had the opportunity, he repented. At the end of the day, Job abhored himself, and acknowledged the righteousness of the Lord.

I agree Anothertraveller,

Reading between the lines was probably a bad choice of words, but that was my mistake. I think what we meant was, we were just wanting to look a bit deeper than first glance. :)

Also, I agree with the rest of your post for the most part, but let's don't overlook the purpose of affliction. I also think that many of us, when reading Job for the first few "hundred" times, could not grasp exactly what was so wrong about the friends? I mean that's what we had the hardest time with at first. That is why I believe that we had better look closely at Job and his 3 friends and see exactly what was it? What was their stance and belief? Frankly I believe that the friends were much like the "church" of today. Their claim to God was more for show, than a true walk.(Job 32:8) They obviously had no compassion for another believer. It seems to me, that if they really did believe..........they reacted to God, as an inactive idol on a shelf somewhere, rather than a part of their lives. They obviously had no "relationship" with the Lord, which is what sail2awe pointed out in another thread. Outwardly I think this may have been the problem with all of them, Job included. There had never been a "true" encounter with God, because they'd never believed He was a living God Who was actively involved in their daily lives, to begin with, so therefore, didn't expect to have a daily relationship with Him. It all became VERY real through the circumstances and experiences of Job. Not to mention the explainations by Elihu. These 2 men brought glory to God, by their spoken words about Him(Elihu) and by asking God to reveal Himself and deal openly with them(Job). God did so, and it wasn't a quiet thing. God's effect on Job's life was out there for them ALL to see. And I'm sure it had a huge impact on them all. It was proof that God does deal with men one on one, just as Elihu explained. (33:13-14) I believe that Job believed, in his comfort of Christianity, but that through the trials, he was tested in heart, and God was Glorified! I believe a new relationship with the Lord began for Job, that day. A one on one, daily walk, that most likely impacted his family this time. I'd be willing to say that Job began to speak much like Elihu, after that encounter!

In His Love,

Suzanne

Edited by tsth

Guest idied2
I really recommend against reading between the lines, as there is nothing there but white space.

There are those who would love to write new lines in those white spaces. But TSTH is not one of them. read all her posts. The LORD removed the guile and self seeking out of Suzanne sometime before she came to worthy boards. But I am all for gathering every speck of information that the LORD wrote into these scriptures. Since it was all put there for you to understand salvation and the grand finale.

Now for the book of JOB. It is my observation that from the beginning of creation up until JOB that the doctrine of being tested by the LORD was not done or even considered possible. But with JOB the LORD introduced A new way of thinking "being tested" which was a likness of things to come.

Re 2:10

Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Guest idied2

Ro 8:18

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

YA RECKON?

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: