IGNORED

You can get coins from when Jesus was here.

bobby0

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

They sall them online and they are real, old, authentic coins from that period. And they don't cost much. I am adding some to my collection.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I would exercise caution here, BobbyO. Two thousand year old coins are very rare (I assume you mean from the Israel/Palestine region). By whom are these coins authenticated? :noidea:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Out of my realm of finances.

Guest shiloh357

They sall them online and they are real, old, authentic coins from that period. And they don't cost much. I am adding some to my collection.

It is probably a sham. Coins that rare are not sold over the Internet. They are catalogued and stored away in the back rooms of museums and research facilities. I would not spend my hard earned money on them. All you will get are facsimilies and not the real coins.

I spoke with someone who collects old coins recently and I said if they were that old they must cost a fortune. He said some are not rare at all and because of that, they are not expensive and people don't tend to make fakes. They try to make fakes of the more valuable ones I think. He said he purchased many at a time for only a few dollars. Sure there are plenty that are very rare, but apparently just being extremely old doesn't make them valueable. But like you say, there's plenty of bad deals online. There's people selling fake antiques and everything else. And he said they are not dated, but you can tell the time frame by who the ruler is on the coins.

Wouldn't that make a cool Christmas present? A coin from Jesus's time?

I think they have ways to tell how old things are and if they are real or not. Just like paintings and signatures. But I think coin dealers who make a living trading coins would know. I'm going to find out and get back to you when I find out more info.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I spoke with someone who collects old coins recently and I said if they were that old they must cost a fortune. He said some are not rare at all and because of that, they are not expensive and people don't tend to make fakes. They try to make fakes of the more valuable ones I think. He said he purchased many at a time for only a few dollars. Sure there are plenty that are very rare, but apparently just being extremely old doesn't make them valueable. But like you say, there's plenty of bad deals online. There's people selling fake antiques and everything else. And he said they are not dated, but you can tell the time frame by who the ruler is on the coins.

Wouldn't that make a cool Christmas present? A coin from Jesus's time?

They aren't common though, so the law of supply and demand pushes up their price. I'm sorry but I think you've been hoodwinked.

I just checked one website that has over 1200 coins from the Roman Republic 300BC-27BC for sale. They have many under $10 and some for $1 each. And then some are thousands, also. And that was just one time period! They have it devided into 4 sections!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Can you supply a link to the site you mentioned? PM it to me if you don't feel led to post it in this thread.

Just go to the place that begins with e. You know the one. Go to collectibles and art then coins and paper money then coins:ancient. They have maybe 6 sections. One is for reproduction coins and the rest seem legit and some have documentation.

And they have a mideaval section also.

Edited by bobby0